Getting Married In Thailand

can anyone tell me can an English man marry a Thai girl in Thailand? If so what do I need to get to do this?

I'm glad you never said an "English Gentleman", these guys are right it's not a difficult process, but as I usually say it's a lot easier for you to get it organised by an agent.

Yes you canmarry in Thailand.....the above posts are assuming you want to "register" the marriage in the UK !!

If you just want to marry Thai style then no need to involve the Embassy.

The process of registration is not difficult really. you just need to know where to go.

The Embassy in the end will send all the documents to the GRO - General Registration Office in London. Th edocuments will not be officially recorded there, but they will hold them for you fo whenyou need to get copiues or whatever. You cannot remove them from the GRO........but you will have your own copies anyway from the process in Thailand.

As mentioned above......the embassy website has all the information. Your fiance should be able to make a few phone calls to places like Bang Rak district office (where most people go to regsiter their marriage in Bangkok) so they can give her the run down on what to do...this will save you time and money. Keep in mind also that the Brit embassy has a blacklist of Translation places......they wont accept translations from some places........and for good reason......if a translation is inccorect and it slips through the process and is lodged at the GRO.......then you have a major headache to fix it.......this is only one reaosn u should use an agent. If you do have a problem after you return home then u can get them to deal with it here for you.

I was divorced many years ago, can i just tell the Embassy that i was never married, sign a form to say i am not married now, and get the document that way, or do they bother to check?

If they check, how would i get a copy of my divorce papers from uk, i have no idea where my ex wife is, as it was all done in my absense, and my ex wife is no longer resident in UK. I also have not been in UK for 14 years.

I am ozzie so I dont know about the UK. I would suggest that if you were going to register you marriage formally inthe UK through the embassy, you would want to do it correctly. Shit could hit the fan later if you were found out. You need to contact the relevant officials in your country to get a divorce statement .......surely there is an office that records all marriages and divorces which could get a copy of your divorce certificate for you. Or your wife should still have a copy.

the above posts are assuming you want to "register" the marriage in the UK !!

If you just want to marry Thai style then no need to involve the Embassy.

The above is factually incorrect. The original poster asked if it possible for a Brit to marry in Thailand. The answer is yes and it does involve the embassy as that is where you need to swear your affirmation of freedom to marry which is required for presentation to the district office (amphur) to enable you to register the marriage. Recording your Thai marriage with the GRO in the UK is a different process.

For guidance about how to marry in Thailand click on the link in my original post and for recording a marriage in Thailand with the GRO click here.

Crush, you can get a copy of your divorce papers (decree absolute) from the county court which granted your divorce - cost £5.00. If you lied to embassy, saying that you'd never previously been married, the chances are that no one would find out but it would amount to a false declaration and your marriage would be void should it subsequently be established. You would perhaps also face prosecution.

Scouse.

• 5 months later...
Keep in mind also that the Brit embassy has a blacklist of Translation places......they wont accept translations from some places........

Can anyone tell me which places to avoid please, by PM if you don't like to name names here? Or alternatively recommend somewhere? Many thanks for any help.

Trebilcock,

When you emerge from the embassy compound turn right and after about 150 yards you come to a crossroads. Using the footbridge carry straight on and on the corner there are a number of translation bureaux. Any one of these should suffice. I had to wait just over an hour when I had mine done at a cost of 500 baht.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Crush, if you carry out a search on google for "decree absolute" you can take your pick of several firms that will sort out a copy of your decree. Some will even get it certified by a judge, then forward it on to your address in Thailand. All for a fee of course.

Trebilcock,

When you emerge from the embassy compound turn right and after about 150 yards you come to a crossroads. Using the footbridge carry straight on and on the corner there are a number of translation bureaux. Any one of these should suffice. I had to wait just over an hour when I had mine done at a cost of 500 baht.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Thanks very much, Scouse. You're a gent.