No Booze Tomorrow?

raro

just heard that Friday and Saturday is no booze in town available because of some elections...can someone confirm this?

I've heard it only applies in Bangkok, practice for the elections I guess?

And next week only the bars are supposed to be closed for the elections, restaurants and the like will be open and serving alcohol.

I am afraid your correct Raro. I knew yesterday about BKK but hoped it would not affect here. Closed from 6pm to late Sunday ( no letter yet ) but the BCCT are informing members that this Fridays meeting is DRY. The elections are the ones the police hit hard on, I phoned City Hall who say it will be a 3 Months closure for those caught. Below is a copy of an email from Bkk.

The closure is a countrywide thing, so I suggest your mates go to Cambodia for the weekend.

Certain country areas are having the elections this weekend.

The #2 policeman from Thong Lo came in and went through the legislation with us. The Law has been changed and it has to be enforced by the police – it is no longer a Police injitiative and they will not be allowing anyone to pay money and avoid the fines. Violations carry a fine and ten days in gaol for both the Publican AND the patron – so I expect they will be effective.

We will be open for Sport, coffee, food and soft drinks from 6:00pm on Friday to between 6 and 9pm on Sunday (the Police don’t know when), but definitely selling alcohol again for the football on Sunday night.

It is written into law and the police have been ordered to enforce it, even private parties, so I think it is time for a liver weekend or a trip to Cambodia.

Hope to see you soon.

All the best,

Thomas

From what I've heard, they are going to have early voting/registration for people that are living in Pattaya, but are still registered in their home provinces. This is so that those people can participate in the elections as well. This is supposed to take place this weekend (15th-16th), and then the actual vote the following weekend. That is why there will be the no alcohol sales.

No problem with stocking up the day before (cheaper than drinking at a bar anyways).

I am afraid your correct Raro. I knew yesterday about BKK but hoped it would not affect here. Closed from 6pm to late Sunday ( no letter yet ) but the BCCT are informing members that this Fridays meeting is DRY. The elections are the ones the police hit hard on, I phoned City Hall who say it will be a 3 Months closure for those caught. Below is a copy of an email from Bkk.

BCCT - that is also where I got this info from...I suppose private parties are excluded from that or will I be banned three months from drinking at home?

@ Begs: at least your beer won't get warm there :o

Sorry to hear about your plight! :D

I will think of you all when I am in England on Friday having a pint :D . I knew there had to be a reason for us going ack to theUK for xmas ad new year. :o

begs

Thanks a bunch begs. Just what I need a vicarious pint.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

kdf

From what I've heard, they are going to have early voting/registration for people that are living in Pattaya, but are still registered in their home provinces. This is so that those people can participate in the elections as well. This is supposed to take place this weekend (15th-16th), and then the actual vote the following weekend. That is why there will be the no alcohol sales.

No problem with stocking up the day before (cheaper than drinking at a bar anyways).

And what is next?No alchohol on days that the political parties hand out flyers?

BCCT - that is also where I got this info from...I suppose private parties are excluded from that or will I be banned three months from drinking at home?

@ Begs: at least your beer won't get warm there :o

That has got to hurt Raimon Land, they set this up to be a big party, now I doubt it will be very lively and probably only a few participants... BTW it's my understanding private parties are equally outlawed ..

Edited by Phil Conners

Closed. <deleted> <deleted> <deleted>

As if this season isn't bad enough. :o:D

You know mate that equates to 5 days this month alone or over 16% of the available time.

I would not mind so much if there was some logic but there is none. It is not like a guy has $100 for 10 days so if you are closed a day he still has $100 so instead of you getting $10 from him each day you actually get $11.11 per day for 9 days and thus actually still get your $100 anyway.

It has been a terrible middle of the year and this is just a catestrophic end to the year. If I work out what is will cost me (and I already have :D ) then I could cry. Not sure how others feel but when you rely on alcohol sales and the nightime business you really get knifed in the wallet by this stupidy.