Less Drunkards On The Roads On New Year 2007

george

Transport Ministry targets 12% less New Year's traffic accidents

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry's Land Transport Department has set its target to reduce road traffic accidents by 12 per cent during the "seven dangerous days" period of the New Year's celebrations, starting December 28.

Deputy Director General Ronnayut Tangruamsap told journalists after attending a meeting with representatives of bus operators and drivers that he had asked them to check their buses' engines and the condition of the drivers before driving during the upcoming holidays.

Reckless driving and driving while intoxicated are seen as the cause of a large portion of Thailand's road accidents during the festivities, including New Year.

The Department intends to reduce road accidents during the seven-day period by 12 per cent from last year's total, Mr. Ronnayut said.

Also, starting from January 1, operators of public buses must have their buses inspected twice a year, instead of annually, in order to ensure safety of passengers, according to an announcement issued by the department.

-- TNA 2007-12-12

Are song taew considered public buses? If the buses don't pass inspection, then have to get them repaired and reinspected, eventually if not repairable, to be taken out of service? How many attemps at repair and re inspection before taken out of service?

Are song taew considered public buses? If the buses don't pass inspection, then have to get them repaired and reinspected, eventually if not repairable, to be taken out of service? How many attemps at repair and re inspection before taken out of service?

It is interesting you said that. Last night I flew back in to town and decided to take the A3 bus home. Seeing as the bus was new I expected it to be in top shape. Well let me tell you I was very surprised. Apparently maintenance is not something they do other that keep the bus looking nice. Very clean interior, driver wearing a nice white pressed shirt, very appealing to the eye. I sat in the front almost over the front wheel. Let me say that particular bus had some serious front end problems most likely due to lack of routine maintenance like getting out the grease gun once or twice a month. The bus was shaking enough that some luggage was falling out of the rack.

Edited by John K