Thai Election Forces 2-weekend Booze Ban

george

For the next ban day I recommend to visit the big massage parlours in Pattaya. Owned / Controled by the BiB, very happy to serve Singha and Heinecken, playing music....

Only annoying thing is the constant asking "which number?". But no problem to reply "where are just here for drinking...." :o

Amazing Thailand, isn't it?!

Edited by moo9

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that things have a way of evening out....

Election to boost sale of alcoholic drinks during festive season

BANGKOK -- Despite rising oil prices and the higher cost of living in Thailand, sales of alcoholic drinks were projected to increase during the last quarter of 2007 thanks to the December 23 general election, a report issued by Kasikorn Research Center said.

Besides the Christmas and New Year celebrations, the upcoming general election would help boost sales of alcoholic drinks by about Bt3.8 billion, as canvassers and election candidates were expected to place large orders, the report indicated.

It said strict regulations in place by the Election Commission prohibiting election candidates to spend on campaigns heavily through the media would force them to depend on canvassers and sales of booze would definitely increase.

Citing a report issued by the Bank of Thailand, the report said sales of beer and liquor during the first ten months of 2007 totaled 2.362 billion liters :o, up 5.4 per cent from the corresponding period of 2006.

It said sales during the 2007 10 month period jumped on worries of an increase in excise tax on alcoholic drinks, which had forced traders to buy more and keep stock during the first half of 2007. Sales of beer and liquor in 2008 were still uncertain, depending on oil prices and people’s purchasing power, the report said.

Also, if the government decided to increase excise tax on alcoholic drinks next year to finance its mega-projects, sales would definitely be affected, the report added.

- MCOT

It seems that things have a way of evening out....

Election to boost sale of alcoholic drinks during festive season

BANGKOK -- Despite rising oil prices and the higher cost of living in Thailand, sales of alcoholic drinks were projected to increase during the last quarter of 2007 thanks to the December 23 general election, a report issued by Kasikorn Research Center said.

Besides the Christmas and New Year celebrations, the upcoming general election would help boost sales of alcoholic drinks by about Bt3.8 billion, as canvassers and election candidates were expected to place large orders, the report indicated.

It said strict regulations in place by the Election Commission prohibiting election candidates to spend on campaigns heavily through the media would force them to depend on canvassers and sales of booze would definitely increase.

Citing a report issued by the Bank of Thailand, the report said sales of beer and liquor during the first ten months of 2007 totaled 2.362 billion liters :o, up 5.4 per cent from the corresponding period of 2006.

It said sales during the 2007 10 month period jumped on worries of an increase in excise tax on alcoholic drinks, which had forced traders to buy more and keep stock during the first half of 2007. Sales of beer and liquor in 2008 were still uncertain, depending on oil prices and people’s purchasing power, the report said.

Also, if the government decided to increase excise tax on alcoholic drinks next year to finance its mega-projects, sales would definitely be affected, the report added.

- MCOT

:D

I wonder if any Thais will be so annoyed by this ban and being treated like children that they'll actually vote for the PPP as a protest? It oculd backfire politically.

Interesting scenario... but as it's been the rule for every government during every election for umpteen decades, it certainly loses most of its relevance.

Seems like in the end, the tremendous sacrifice of foregoing the all-important drinking in bars for 2 days was for a very worthwhile cause... nearly 3 million people voted.

It might be worthwhile to anyone involved in the bar business to plan accordingly for future elections as this advance voting seems to have really caught on and thus this past weekend is likely to reoccur. It's undeniable that more advance warning would have been beneficial for this first-ever event, but as with any event that is "unprecedented" (in terms of the huge number of voters involved) the inevitable snafu's often happen.

87% Voter Turnout for Advance Voting

The Election Commission is happy with the execution of the advance voting during the past weekend, with a voter turnout of 1.8 million which is 87% of those who registered to vote outside their registered constituencies.

Election Commissioner Praphan Naiyakovit says the advance vote on Saturday and Sunday saw a turnout of more than 1.8 million voters or 87.75% of the more than two million who registered to vote outside their registered constituencies.

Bangkok saw the largest voter turnout of 823,000 out of the 903,000 who registered.

As for the advance voting of voters in their registered constituencies, 1.1 million turned up to vote nationwide with Bangkok seeing the highest number of advance voters at 199,000.

- Thailand Outlook

Edited by sriracha john

The main reason for this law is simple. The authorities try to prevent Thai people from going to "Vote buying parties" where the organizers will woo them with booze, try to convince them to vote a certain way, and then send them off to do it. When the majority of your population is uneducated, sometimes you have to supervise them more closely, to get them to act in a responsible manner.

Ok, instead of having the "Vote buying parties" the day before the election lets have it two days before, or will this not work because "the majority of your population is uneducated" they would have forgotten who to vote for?

Face facts, its a stupid rule that doesnt achieve anything, this weekend in Samut Prakran you couldnt buy beer on the main road but every shop down side roads was openly selling beer. So they are not stopping Thais drinking alcohol, the losers are the tourist and the bar owners.

It would appear that your average Thai is not responsible enough to stay sober until he/she casts their vote.

My guess is that it is to stop them being bribed by a drink or five...................

See this thread for more details.

Another example of an imature electoral society. :o

Like England in the early nineteenth century.

Rotten Boroughs, electorates bribed with booze and money - see Hogarth cartoons on the subject.

Are we so addicted and dependent on alcohol that we cannot do without for a few days? Understand the intent and live with it!

Are you so ignorant that you think it's about the alcohol itself?

I haven't touched alcohol in many weeks, but it's my choice. The freedom of choice over stupid, arbitrary, decisions by clueless monkeys...

Are we so addicted and dependent on alcohol that we cannot do without for a few days? Understand the intent and live with it!

Are you so ignorant that you think it's about the alcohol itself?

I haven't touched alcohol in many weeks, but it's my choice. The freedom of choice over stupid, arbitrary, decisions by clueless monkeys...

Are you as libertarian on all issues - gun ownership, drugs etc?

Will you object to freedom of choice on other dry days such as Birthdays?

This is the joke of all jokes!

When will the people in charge of this country pre and post coup start having a little faith in its population????? It is totally insulting to any Thai to think that their government (elected or otherwise) believes that the main population are such a bunch of immature childish drunkards that they NEED to stop drinking because thats the only way to get them to exercise their democratic right. I am time and time again embarassed for my Thai friends that their government thinks they will all just go out and get paralectic rather than vote. Imagine if the governments in Australia or England imposed such a rule as closing pubs on election day...... just would not happen.

Grow up!!!!!

Yeah, the leadership is certainly underestimating the people I know, who have very firm ideas about how they will vote, and wouldn't dream of changing their votes for a bribe. But, not everyone is like that, I suppose...

"Certainly" ? .. who knows? .. maybe Thais are childish and incapable of making adult decisions for themselves. I can't stand on a soapbox and declare one way or another,I've only lived here for 1 year. I'll get back to this thread next year when I know better.

:o

EDIT

Oops! .. better not .. some pedantic twit will will get extremely upset if I rehash a 1 year old thread.

even more interesting is the fact that this non-event is used by participants to bash Thailand, its government and its citizens. some people will never achieve to "get a life".

:D

so so true!!! and what is this all about??? booze!!! :D

No! It's about the lack of booze! If booze were freely availabe over the election period there'd be no thread. :o

When will the people in charge of this country pre and post coup start having a little faith in its population?????

Faith in it's population? ....

Ghostly goings on

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: In the West nowadays, fears over the safety of children have reached the point where many parents are reduced to nervous wrecks at the thought of letting their little ones out of sight.

Predatory priests, pedophiles and high-profile disappearances – notably that of Madeleine McCann just six months ago – have all take their toll on parents’ sanity and further restricted the freedom of Western kids.

In Thailand, however, the paranoia does not seem to have yet reached such a peak. Indeed, the freedom enjoyed by Thai tots would be the envy of cooped-up little Westerners. There is one realm, however, where the Thais tend to take more precautions, as illustrated by an eerie tale from Bua Yai district in Nakhon Ratchasima recently – ghosts.

A number of villages in the district began ramping up anti-ghost measures after residents had been having dreams that people born on Tuesdays and Wednesdays would be taken by the dreaded phi pop.

Despite the fact that their name sounds rather cute in English, phi pop are one of the most terrifying specters in the panoply of Thai folklore. With an insatiable appetite for fresh meat, they enjoy nothing more then disemboweling unfortunate villagers and snacking on still-warm organs. It is believed that phi pop are born when practitioners of the black arts let their magic get out of control, thus allowing themselves to be transformed into ravenous ghouls.

When reporters from the Gazette’s Thai-language affiliate newspaper Kom Chad Luek arrived at Baan Khok Sawang Village 9 on November 24, they found villagers sitting pale-faced, discussing how to deter the ever-hungry ghosts.

Villagers Buntham Pawanna and Yaem Upara explained that spine-chilling dreams of the phi pop had started about a month before. News of impending doom quickly had spread throughout the area, putting everyone in a state of fear – especially children. In a bid to deter the ghouls, many homeowners placed scarecrows in front of their dwellings bearing written messages that no one born on a Tuesday or Wednesday lived therein

Outside one home, reporters found a farang busily engaged in making anti-ghost scarecrows. The man, originally from Switzerland, identified himself as Pius Bierler, 41. He said that he was making the models to protect his young son, Tim, who at the tender age of two would make a tasty appetizer for a ravenous phi pop.

Pius, whose name indicates a willingness to perform religious duties, told the reporters that he had come to the village just a week earlier to visit his wife’s family.

At first he had been confused as to why nearly every house appeared to have a scarecrow outside.

After his wife explained what was going on, however, he realized that Isarn held a grave threat to his child, one potentially more terrifying than the most perverted priest.

Pius said that he had never heard about phi pop before and had certainly never seen one. After hearing of their gruesome dining habits, however, he felt compelled to stay on the safe side and make a model to protect his beloved son.

“The villagers say that phi pop are so cruel that they eat the livers of their chosen victims while they are still alive. I fear that one may come and eat my son, who was born on a Wednesday. To keep them at bay, I made this scarecrow to put outside our house,” said Pius, showing the sign.

Phuket Gazette. http://www.phuketgazette.net/queernews/ind...=20071220162944

I'm a lurker who registered to register his indignation that so many ex-pats (mostly British) deride Thailand for taking measures to ensure full participation in a democratic election.

Mexico does the same thing.

Some local jurisdictions in US do.

You Brits probably could have avoided the troubles if the Irish hadn't been drunk and missed the chance to particpate in UK governance.

Get yourself a new hobby. Find some real friends whose company you can bear without alcohol. Or just continue to rant about your loneliness on this forum.

But please be respectful of the Thai people. Or go home.

If this is the best that you can do please revert to lurking mode. Democracy? Thailand? 555555555

The EC is warming up to hand out the red cards as I type.

The thing is for tourism. Imagine if tomorrow was Christmas day. People, well tourists, can not celebrate the holiday as they wish. I mean kicking aside all the pretence, it is Saturnalia, you are supposed to get drunk and have orgies. These tourists go home and really hammer Thailand's sanook image. Heck they were not daft enough to hold the election over the new year were they? :o

was out for dinner cruise last night no problem ordering beer or spirits. Everyone left well wobbly :o

I'm feeling nice and wobbly now and it's only 1:45pm. Thailand, I love it. Haven't heard any more election Karaoke, so there must be a ban on all those trucks, too. Thank God for that. Hopefully, this new and coming government will last for a few years, in only to shut up the speakers on the election pickup trucks for a while.

When will the people in charge of this country pre and post coup start having a little faith in its population????? It is totally insulting to any Thai to think that their government (elected or otherwise) believes that the main population are such a bunch of immature childish drunkards that they NEED to stop drinking because thats the only way to get them to exercise their democratic right. I am time and time again embarassed for my Thai friends that their government thinks they will all just go out and get paralectic rather than vote. Imagine if the governments in Australia or England imposed such a rule as closing pubs on election day...... just would not happen.

Grow up!!!!!

I don’t think your interpretation of the regulation is correct. I believe the liquor ban is in place to help stop corruption. – It’s supposed to stop political supporters from buying votes by putting on booze parties during elections.

Yes I know, doesn’t matter how one tries to figure it the whole thing is ludicrous to us farang but TiT so grin and bear it!

According to a Phuket Gazette article I read through the week some 25000 turned out to “early vote” on the island last weekend. Didn’t say how many casual staff lost more than 2 days income or how many tourists were inconvenienced but I’ll bet it was a dam_n sight more than that. :o

Went up to Pa Chi for the lady to 'make X'. The local outlet was adhering to the 'spirit' of the law, only selling to those coming out of the polling station :o

She also happily sold me two bottles of whisky after confering with the local plod, "I'm not eligable to vote so it doesn't matter how pissed I get" (his words not mine), he was round for his drink as soon as the polls closed :D