Thai Election Forces 2-weekend Booze Ban

george

The fact that there was going to be restrictions on alchohol sales was mentioned in newspapers about three or four weeks ago. I remember well, discussing the scenario with colleagues at school.

Obviously, there must have been other avenues of media also reporting the situation. Thus eliminating the idea that no one new about the situation until a few hours ago.

Please don't ask me which newspapers. I only read two . The Bangkok Post and the Pattaya Mail. For the life of me, I am unable to remember which paper. However, the actual newspaper source is irela

event.

Oh well Sober, you obviously opened your account to stir people up. I have been watching this thread with fascination and I feel sorry for the Bar owners, who lose their revenue. Maybe there were some rumors about closing time but it was never confirmed . Up to this day there is a lot of confusion. It is all well sitting in your chair and say you all should know that, because there was something in the paper. Obviously if you close down your business on any rumors you don’t have a clue how to run a business.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that there was going to be restrictions on alchohol sales was mentioned in newspapers about three or four weeks ago. I remember well, discussing the scenario with colleagues at school.

Obviously, there must have been other avenues of media also reporting the situation. Thus eliminating the idea that no one new about the situation until a few hours ago.

Please don't ask me which newspapers. I only read two . The Bangkok Post and the Pattaya Mail. For the life of me, I am unable to remember which paper. However, the actual newspaper source is irela

event.

Unluckily your colorful imagination overrides pretty much what you remember; it is standard practice to prohibit selling of alcohol on elections, not so on pre-elections. This is new as a surprising large number of voters registered.

Would you have read this thread from the beginning, you would have actually seen it quoted (but probably you read your newspapers as you read up on here...).

As your handle indicates that you are a teacher, I must say I pity your students, if this is how you prepare yourself. :D

Having the potential closure of your business for 20% of a month 'discussed' in a rag like the Pattaya Mail would not make it the law. An official, clear statement from the government -- #months well in advance# -- might.

This would entail also that it has been communicated clearly to the police. Calling up police a day before those closures and them unable to answer if there is such a regulation clearly shows that there was no such law but it was a thing made up on the fly without much thought to consequences. This is NOT a sign of democracy, this is exactly the opposite. :o

Now enforcing it in the typical babana-republic way (some places completely closed, others totally open) makes it even worse, because it shows what a laughing stock the Thais are in respect to their own laws. Remarkable how the farang places in tourist areas are all more law-abiding than the Thais just a few kilometers inland -- makes you pretty much loose all respect.

I always wonder when posters here say we should respect the local laws and traditions when the locals themselves don't give a hoot. I would arther say: 'when in rome do as the romans do'...

I'm a lurker who registered to register his indignation that so many ex-pats (mostly British) deride Thailand for taking measures to ensure full participation in a democratic election.

Mexico does the same thing.

Some local jurisdictions in US do.

You Brits probably could have avoided the troubles if the Irish hadn't been drunk and missed the chance to particpate in UK governance.

Get yourself a new hobby. Find some real friends whose company you can bear without alcohol. Or just continue to rant about your loneliness on this forum.

But please be respectful of the Thai people. Or go home.

You registered just so you could slag Brits - laughable

You knowledge of the troubles in Ireland show you are not very knowledgeable or intelligent - call yourself "Sober" - alkie previously were we?

BTW I am English and have defended the Thai's rights to prohibit all through this thread.

Even in the Uk Licenced premises cannot open when they want on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

The majority of pubs/bars close at Midnight on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, as Christmas day is regarded as Sunday hours. On Christmas Day itself, somePubs/bars, but not many, can open at 11am and close at 3pm. The majority, if not most, do not open again until the morning of Boxing Day, on the 26th.

Yes, the UK also, has closing hours to respect and celebrate Christmas. The closed hours allow landlords/bar owners the time to spend with their families, to enjoy Christmas also.

There is more to life than open pubs/bars/discos, name them what you will.

The UK now has laws which allow 24/7 opening of licenced premises, however, thank goodness, very, very few premises take that allowance up. The numbers that do so, is negligible, in fact, virtually non-existent.

I tend to think that the OP believes that money is more important than life. Please forgive and correct me if I am wrong.

:o

I am sure you are talking about UK laws that are not officially voted for, change from year to year and you do not know for sure the day before Christmas if you are allowed open all night, some of the night or not at all.

Now tell the bands ordered or the caterers bringing the food that they will not be paid as surprisingly ther law changed the day before and the stuff you ordered fro that 500 people party is suddenly illegal...

I am sure in the UK that would mean a call to the lawyer instead of shrugging your shoulder and saying, oh well, this is how democracy works... NOT.

Now ask those Thai bands, caterers, waitresses (and the families living from that income) if they think their wages are more important than the fun of having democracy 'maybe, soon'.

I went out to eat last night at around 8pm and was served alcohol as were many other people at the restaurant. I also saw many people as I was driving around Chiang Mai who had bottles of beer on their tables. What does this tell you? As long as you are eating its ok to serve? Maybe they think to many people would go drinking on empty stomachs this weekend...........

Even in the Uk Licenced premises cannot open when they want on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

The majority of pubs/bars close at Midnight on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, as Christmas day is regarded as Sunday hours. On Christmas Day itself, somePubs/bars, but not many, can open at 11am and close at 3pm. The majority, if not most, do not open again until the morning of Boxing Day, on the 26th.

Yes, the UK also, has closing hours to respect and celebrate Christmas. The closed hours allow landlords/bar owners the time to spend with their families, to enjoy Christmas also.

The UK now has laws which allow 24/7 opening of licenced premises, however, thank goodness, very, very few premises take that allowance up. The numbers that do so, is negligible, in fact, virtually non-existent.

I tend to think that the OP believes that money is more important than life. Please forgive and correct me if I am wrong.

I am sure you are talking about UK laws that are not officially voted for, change from year to year and you do not know for sure the day before Christmas if you are allowed open all night, some of the night or not at all.

Now tell the bands ordered or the caterers bringing the food that they will not be paid as surprisingly ther law changed the day before and the stuff you ordered fro that 500 people party is suddenly illegal...

I am sure in the UK that would mean a call to the lawyer instead of shrugging your shoulder and saying, oh well, this is how democracy works... NOT.

Now ask those Thai bands, caterers, waitresses (and the families living from that income) if they think their wages are more important than the fun of having democracy 'maybe, soon'.

I think you are confused - they have not suddenly passed a law but issued an edict or whatever under existing laws.

Must agree about the short notice though but there is the proviso these closures have been talked about for weeks so people have been burying their heads in the sand.

I'm a lurker who registered to register his indignation that so many ex-pats (mostly British) deride Thailand for taking measures to ensure full participation in a democratic election.

Mexico does the same thing.

Some local jurisdictions in US do.

You Brits probably could have avoided the troubles if the Irish hadn't been drunk and missed the chance to particpate in UK governance.

Get yourself a new hobby. Find some real friends whose company you can bear without alcohol. Or just continue to rant about your loneliness on this forum.

But please be respectful of the Thai people. Or go home.

You knowledge of the troubles in Ireland show you are not very knowledgeable or intelligent - call yourself "Sober" - alkie previously were we?

BTW I am English and have defended the Thai's rights to prohibit all through this thread.

:o Some people should stick to lurking. It's what they're best at.

event.

Unluckily your colorful imagination overrides pretty much what you remember; it is standard practice to prohibit selling of alcohol on elections, not so on pre-elections. This is new as a surprising large number of voters registered.

Would you have read this thread from the beginning, you would have actually seen it quoted (but probably you read your newspapers as you read up on here...).

As your handle indicates that you are a teacher, I must say I pity your students, if this is how you prepare yourself. :D

Having the potential closure of your business for 20% of a month 'discussed' in a rag like the Pattaya Mail would not make it the law. An official, clear statement from the government -- #months well in advance# -- might.

This would entail also that it has been communicated clearly to the police. Calling up police a day before those closures and them unable to answer if there is such a regulation clearly shows that there was no such law but it was a thing made up on the fly without much thought to consequences. This is NOT a sign of democracy, this is exactly the opposite. :D

Now enforcing it in the typical babana-republic way (some places completely closed, others totally open) makes it even worse, because it shows what a laughing stock the Thais are in respect to their own laws. Remarkable how the farang places in tourist areas are all more law-abiding than the Thais just a few kilometers inland -- makes you pretty much loose all respect.

I always wonder when posters here say we should respect the local laws and traditions when the locals themselves don't give a hoot. I would arther say: 'when in rome do as the romans do'...

I too live by the motto 'When in Rome do as the Romans do'. It is foolish not to do.

I have yet to locate a country that does not have warts. Any country who decides to operate a ban on alchohol, will, no doubt, still experience a 'some are open, some are closed' scenario. That is the rule of nature. However, I agree with you as regards to the timing of the announcements regarding the ban. Some Countries ban smoking in public places, including bars, on an ongoing basis, yet there are instances where it continues. Would more notice of the alchohol ban in Thailand have made that much difference? It is an unknown quantity, yet doubt it would have made a difference. The fact remains, the people holding the licences have been advised, regardless of timing and it is something they should have attempted to adhere to with good will. The choice is theirs, and consequences follow. We cannot do anything about that.

Maybe part of the reply was on a more personal level, and irelevent, however, I am ascertaining to the debate, or discussion, as to the alchohol ban. :o

Regards.

I love to see all these posts from people who are outraged by not being able to drink for a few days.

Is it that bad?

If the answer is yes then you need some help.

Zuki.

No it is not that bad as I am working most of the year except my annual holidays of which I like to have some fun. AND I do not mind to have a night of fun based on juice, coke or water. THE thing is that ALL venues will be closed !

I truly regret that I did'nt spend my hard earned holiday in the Phils or Indo.

As far as I could see going home past Nana Plaza in a taxi last night at around 11pm, all venues were NOT closed, in fact they ALL looked open. The outdoor bars seemed fairly full, but all I could see were bottles of water or soda on the table. Plenty of people there still able to have fun without alcohol.

errr Im trying to picture it... Nana, cashed up tourists, water = fun? The first thing I would want after a 15 hour flight on my first night in a new country would be a nice cuppa tea NOT! you guys are exposed to the holiday lifestyle 24/.7 but lets not forget people arriving on holidays are EXCITED just like you were when you first got here.

The picture I get is a thousand stunned mullets. Poor buggers had no idea and were not crying tears of joy. Just crying

All this talk about get over it and your just an alcoholic is okay maybe for locals but what about tourists do people here really think its ok to say, hey buddy tough titties no party for you try again next year?

The ill advised, let's call it a 5 day Prohibition over two weekends during the high season, is not about drinking but about personal choice, notification and "What were they thinking"? Someone asked me last night who was responsible for such a stupid decision to decree prohibition. He has been here for 13 years and we are all used to the normal election Prohibition. I had to remind him that the National Legislative Assembly had to vote this into law to get it done. This was a group decision based on who knows what. We can see from this thread that the word did not go out as quickly as lets say a polo shirt color change for the masses. Would the tourists come to visit if the travel agents around the world would have told them about a two weekend ban on alcohol sales or would have reminded them about the bombs in Bangkok last New Year's Eve? Out of curiosity we called the Marriott at 6:00 PM yesterday an found out the ban was being strictly enforced. People were walking the streets as if the were lost. These were not only sex tourists but families with children as well. The atmosphere changed in a very big way in a very short time. All of us that live here can survive anything or we wouldn't continue to live here. The tourists are the losers here and ultimately Thailand for ill conceived decisions by people who have no right or ability to make them. Thousands of poor Thais will receive even less money this month and children will suffer of course for the "greater good". I could care less if the 100,000's of tourists stuck in this mess return or not but the tourist's cash pays not only the corrupt officials her but a little finds its way to pay for education and health care. Developing country indeed.

Over 300 posts on what is essentially a non event for readers of this board. :o

Same as every election, alcohol is technically banned but the local police will let hotels, restaurants & bars know the accepted method of bypassing the bans.

Business as usual last night - alcohol was served, the difference being that is was in plastic cups and not glasses and bottles. However, bars that only sell beer were shut in my neck of the woods - forcing those witha love of Connect 4 to look elsewhere for a drink. This ban really is hel_l.

Some facts of life:

Health is no1 and money no2.

Without money we cannot sustain our good health (Doctors fees, good food etc, nooky boom boom, someone to take care of us)

and without good health, money is of no use.

The best things in life are free is a myth, even the health care and for someone to take care of us.

So in reality our lives and our money are intertwined, one no good without the other. Money should be treated as lifeblood, lose it we are done for. Those who think differently are living in a cotton wool padded world.

The Thais use 3 methods of withdrawing cash.

Plastic cards, bank passbooks and the naive elderly farang.

Edited by powwow

I have been told that apparently the police in Lamphun have clamped down on any establishments serving or selling alcoholic drinks between the hours of 1.00pm to 5.00pm including resturants and if caught breaking this rule will be instantly closed down.

Many of the well known resturants in Lamphun are actually closing between the non serving drink hours because most of their profits come from beers and that it is not worth their while or the expense of opening.

Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by powwow

Lets hope the Thai authorities don't wonder about the significant drop in road accidents over these two weekends and start putting two and two together about cause and effect.

If Thailand were to become a dry country at least there's a few consolations.....we'll all be a little bit richer and the women here are much more beautiful than in the Middle East.

"Thai's don't let Thai's vote drunk"

A ‘thai-take’ on the US anti-drunk driving slogan from a couple years ago of; 'friends don't let friends drive drunk'.

I was at Tesco Thursday and alcohol was being sold in nearly every cart in there, sometimes it was ONLY alcohol piled high in the cart. Not drinking alcohol, this doesn’t impact me either way, good or bad, although I saw the paper the bar owners were given with the dates and times of the ban last week.

It is quite a role reversal for the native inhabitants of the glorious "Land 'O Thais" with their usually oh-so reactive society. It would seem when things have a direct impact on their lives they seem to be able to figure it out well in advance, while the foreigners are behind the curve.

Edited by tod-daniels

Yes, I hate the imperialist pos Brits with a passion. They have an exaggerated sense of entitlement everywhere they go. I guess my country has been the only one fit enough to shoot the bastards dead and make them leave. I hope the Thais wisen up and rise up, too.

If you want to read about troubles, here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles. If the Irish had sobered up and become a political force at the polls, they wouldn't have to subsequently taken to the streets like terrorists. Same thing happened with the Irish in Montana, USA. Irish miners had the numbers but were too drunk to vote on election day. Protestant mine owners won the day and Helena became the capital instead of Anaconda.

And thanks for defending the Thai's rights to prohibit!

You registered just so you could slag Brits - laughable.

Yes, I hate the imperialist pos Brits with a passion.

So you are a troll then, nothing else. Hence from now on your opinion can be IGNORED by anybody on this board from now on, whatever his nationality.

I think you are confused - they have not suddenly passed a law but issued an edict or whatever under existing laws.

Must agree about the short notice though but there is the proviso these closures have been talked about for weeks so people have been burying their heads in the sand.

Prakanong, a direct question for you:

Lets have the following scenario (true circumstances according to posters in this thread):

Your company has organized their year-end party for this weekend, lets say 400 people. Hotel premises were reserved, a band ordered, maybe even a third-party caterer to bring in food. Who is responsible for the damage if this party has to be cancelled on such extremely short notice?

I personally would believe, as changes in law are higher force, that actually the hotel and band can be cancelled without further financial responsibility to the organizer of the party.

The loser in this scenario would be surely be the (Thai) band, having received most likely a very small upfront amount, and maybe the caterer, as they would also have received only a small pre-payment. It will be impossible for them to re-schedule to a new event in such a time frame.

Now imagine the hotel, already fully pre-paid, to give back money as they will argue that of course the premises do still exist and it is the choice of the organizer to use them or not. The organizer would argue that sale of alcohol was part of the contract that the hotel is now unable to fulfill (as it actually often is). In the west this would end up in court, one would imagine.

But as you, Prakanong, believe that justice is just going right here, who of the mentioned parties -- the organizer, hotel, band, caterer -- do you think personally is right in this scenario and should carry the financial responsibility for the progress of democracy or should everybody just grab the money still in hand and do a runner?

This morning the local cop gave us a letter and told us not to sell alcohol in our guest house. I thought to bypass it and ask my customers to take the drinks in their rooms but a cop just rented a room...hope he will like a drink in his room..

rono

Lets have the following scenario (true circumstances according to posters in this thread):

Your company has organized their year-end party for this weekend, lets say 400 people. Hotel premises were reserved, a band ordered, maybe even a third-party caterer to bring in food. Who is responsible for the damage if this party has to be cancelled on such extremely short notice?

I personally would believe, as changes in law are higher force, that actually the hotel and band can be cancelled without further financial responsibility to the organizer of the party.

The loser in this scenario would be surely be the (Thai) band, having received most likely a very small upfront amount, and maybe the caterer, as they would also have received only a small pre-payment. It will be impossible for them to re-schedule to a new event in such a time frame.

Now imagine the hotel, already fully pre-paid, to give back money as they will argue that of course the premises do still exist and it is the choice of the organizer to use them or not. The organizer would argue that sale of alcohol was part of the contract that the hotel is now unable to fulfill (as it actually often is). In the west this would end up in court, one would imagine.

But as you, Prakanong, believe that justice is just going right here, who of the mentioned parties -- the organizer, hotel, band, caterer -- do you think personally is right in this scenario and should carry the financial responsibility for the progress of democracy or should everybody just grab the money still in hand and do a runner?

Legally, it depends on what's in the contracts. Thais favor freedom of contract. Do your duty and cover in the event of breach. I don't think the booze ban would be grounds for impossibility to perform unless booze was an express dependency for all other duties. Business is risky business. Like I told the bar owner, business is not just about cashing checks. Like Snoop says, "Somedays it just beez that way."

Oh -- and before you call me out for not being who you addressed the question to -- send a PM if you want only one person's opinion.

Yes, I hate the imperialist pos Brits with a passion. They have an exaggerated sense of entitlement everywhere they go. I guess my country has been the only one fit enough to shoot the bastards dead and make them leave. I hope the Thais wisen up and rise up, too.

If you want to read about troubles, here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles. If the Irish had sobered up and become a political force at the polls, they wouldn't have to subsequently taken to the streets like terrorists. Same thing happened with the Irish in Montana, USA. Irish miners had the numbers but were too drunk to vote on election day. Protestant mine owners won the day and Helena became the capital instead of Anaconda.

You are pointing me at wiki to learn about the troubles in Ireland - Bhwaaaaaaa

I bet you think Bill O'Reilly is a serious journalist and Elvis is alive too?

As for shooting bastards dead - you do a good job of doing that to yourselves - I am totally for the British gun ban but hope it never happens in the USA - Darwin at work over there

Thanks for making me laugh out loud - the neighbours will wonder what is going on.

Dunno - you say in other jurisdictions it would end in court - what is normal in Thailand?

Living under a miltitary dictatorship and martial law does have these disadvantages - ie they can make arbitary decisions without any responsibility or accountability.

Where are all the juntanista's on the board now defending them and their decisions?

Would you say the same if it was cancelled at short notice for ANY other reason?

All well and good, BUT!!!

Would any government in any country in the world, shut down the entire country during the absolute peak of high season for more than 20% of that peak period? The tourist T-Shirts sellers can have this one on me!

2001 - 9/11

2002 - SARS

2003 - Bali Bomb

2004 - Tsunami

2005 - Bird Flue

2006 - Coup

2007 - Elections

Do we want a tourism industry in this country? Can we take anymore high season hits?

If this election had come around as initially promised, it would have been before the end of September. On top of the billions of lost revenue will be lost tax to the incoming government. They, will get the ultimate financial kick in their collective pants when we pay our taxes next month!! Lots of worried faces when the tax doesn't flood in as hoped (I just could not bring myself to say "planned" I tried but just couldn't manage it) for.

For the non-believers or non-thinkers. Hundreds of thousands of wealthy tourists will on these days, not make that extra hit on the credit card that they otherwise might have done if they had been out on the town. A few bevvies can loosen the purse strings and all kinds of purchases are made during this period. We've all done it as tourists, few beers, off to the ATM, sort it out when we are back in blighty.

This lost money will never make it to, bar staff/owners, taxi drivers (some joy there then!), delivery staff, ice factory staff, cleaners, D'J's, musicians, late night food outlets, etc. etc. etc. And hopefully if the whole of the Tourism sector get it together and stand up to the tax man, the Thai Government (oxymoron if ever there was one).