Thai Election Forces 2-weekend Booze Ban

george

Even in the Uk Licenced premises cannot open when they want on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

The majority of pubs/bars close at Midnight on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, as Christmas day is regarded as Sunday hours. On Christmas Day itself, somePubs/bars, but not many, can open at 11am and close at 3pm. The majority, if not most, do not open again until the morning of Boxing Day, on the 26th.

Yes, the UK also, has closing hours to respect and celebrate Christmas. The closed hours allow landlords/bar owners the time to spend with their families, to enjoy Christmas also.

There is more to life than open pubs/bars/discos, name them what you will.

The UK now has laws which allow 24/7 opening of licenced premises, however, thank goodness, very, very few premises take that allowance up. The numbers that do so, is negligible, in fact, virtually non-existent.

I tend to think that the OP believes that money is more important than life. Please forgive and correct me if I am wrong.

:o

All well and good, BUT!!!

Would any government in any country in the world, shut down the entire country during the absolute peak of high season for more than 20% of that peak period? The tourist T-Shirts sellers can have this one on me!

2001 - 9/11

2002 - SARS

2003 - Bali Bomb

2004 - Tsunami

2005 - Bird Flue

2006 - Coup

2007 - Elections

Do we want a tourism industry in this country? Can we take anymore high season hits?

If this election had come around as initially promised, it would have been before the end of September. On top of the billions of lost revenue will be lost tax to the incoming government. They, will get the ultimate financial kick in their collective pants when we pay our taxes next month!! Lots of worried faces when the tax doesn't flood in as hoped (I just could not bring myself to say "planned" I tried but just couldn't manage it) for.

For the non-believers or non-thinkers. Hundreds of thousands of wealthy tourists will on these days, not make that extra hit on the credit card that they otherwise might have done if they had been out on the town. A few bevvies can loosen the purse strings and all kinds of purchases are made during this period. We've all done it as tourists, few beers, off to the ATM, sort it out when we are back in blighty.

This lost money will never make it to, bar staff/owners, taxi drivers (some joy there then!), delivery staff, ice factory staff, cleaners, D'J's, musicians, late night food outlets, etc. etc. etc. And hopefully if the whole of the Tourism sector get it together and stand up to the tax man, the Thai Government (oxymoron if ever there was one).

Now there's a good idea: if you diversify your business and start selling t-shirts, your portfolio wouldn't diminish so much when liquor sales decrease... That's using your head.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This lunacy has got to stop. you're screwing with people's lives.

With this subject and all who have written in we have another great example of the type of people who write in to this forum, and you wonder why Thai immigration wants to discourage all of the 30 visa run people. The example these men set by sitting in the bars all day drinking and smoking makes all expats proud. To be able to benefit from your wisdom on this forum, well we are all blessed aren't we.

You registered just so you could slag Brits - laughable

You knowledge of the troubles in Ireland show you are not very knowledgeable or intelligent - call yourself "Sober" - alkie previously were we?

BTW I am English and have defended the Thai's rights to prohibit all through this thread.

Yes, I hate the imperialist pos Brits with a passion. They have an exaggerated sense of entitlement everywhere they go. I guess my country has been the only one fit enough to shoot the bastards dead and make them leave. I hope the Thais wisen up and rise up, too.

If you want to read about troubles, here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles. If the Irish had sobered up and become a political force at the polls, they wouldn't have to subsequently taken to the streets like terrorists. Same thing happened with the Irish in Montana, USA. Irish miners had the numbers but were too drunk to vote on election day. Protestant mine owners won the day and Helena became the capital instead of Anaconda.

And thanks for defending the Thai's rights to prohibit!

You are pointing me at wiki to learn about the troubles in Ireland - Bhwaaaaaaa

I bet you think Bill O'Reilly is a serious journalist and Elvis is alive too?

As for shooting bastards dead - you do a good job of doing that to yourselves - I am totally for the British gun ban but hope it never happens in the USA - Darwin at work over there

Thanks for making me laugh out loud - the neighbours will wonder what is going on.

How did this post about a drink ban in Thailand sink to, Brits and Paddys slagging each other off.

I am not Irish, but a true Brit. I can tell you that it was Irishmen who built Britain, the roads, tunnels, blacksmiths, welders, London Underground was designed by Irish all highly skilled engineers, plus the most beautiful girls in the world. Grace Kelly for example.

Love the Irish sense of humour, better than some of the sour faced Brits I meet here often. some of the commentors here prove my point. If I had to have a farang neighbour, choice between Irish or Brit, Hello Mr Kelly, very welcome and after the drink ban we will have a pint together as good ole mates.

Edited by powwow

You registered just so you could slag Brits - laughable

You knowledge of the troubles in Ireland show you are not very knowledgeable or intelligent - call yourself "Sober" - alkie previously were we?

BTW I am English and have defended the Thai's rights to prohibit all through this thread.

Yes, I hate the imperialist pos Brits with a passion. They have an exaggerated sense of entitlement everywhere they go. I guess my country has been the only one fit enough to shoot the bastards dead and make them leave. I hope the Thais wisen up and rise up, too.

If you want to read about troubles, here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles. If the Irish had sobered up and become a political force at the polls, they wouldn't have to subsequently taken to the streets like terrorists. Same thing happened with the Irish in Montana, USA. Irish miners had the numbers but were too drunk to vote on election day. Protestant mine owners won the day and Helena became the capital instead of Anaconda.

And thanks for defending the Thai's rights to prohibit!

You are pointing me at wiki to learn about the troubles in Ireland - Bhwaaaaaaa

I bet you think Bill O'Reilly is a serious journalist and Elvis is alive too?

As for shooting bastards dead - you do a good job of doing that to yourselves - I am totally for the British gun ban but hope it never happens in the USA - Darwin at work over there

Thanks for making me laugh out loud - the neighbours will wonder what is going on.

How did this post about a drink ban in Thailand sink to, Brits and Paddys slagging each other off.

I am not Irish, but a true Brit. I can tell you that it was Irishmen who built Britain, the roads, tunnels, blacksmiths, welders, London Underground was designed by Irish all highly skilled engineers, plus the most beautiful girls in the world. Grace Kelly for example.

Love the Irish sense of humour, better than some of the sour faced Brits I meet here often. some of the commentors here prove my point. If I had to have a farang neighbour, choice between Irish or Brit, Hello Mr Kelly and very welcome.

You are answering your own questions

Complain about off topic then go off on an irrational rant completely missing the point - no Irish and Brits were slagging each other off

Here is a good idea - go away and rwad some Janet and John books to raise your comprehension somewhat - or keep away from the beer as a sniff of the barmans apron has you doing a tad doolally.

The real point is that the 23rd was chosen since it will more than likely to be even more ignored by the external media than at other times, thereby assuring the prerequisite level of apathy.

There was little formal detail earlier about this weekend, though once the registered "pre's" became significant, then the ban became much more probable since it would reduce arguments after the fact {election validity etc.}, especially since the new constitution virtually predicates a hung parliament requiring deals and alliances {back to the future of the early '90s there}.

Personally do I mind, no, but I do see that this is a hit for everyone in the 'entertainment' business, yes, for example with staff getting reduced tips. One has to say that last night Silom was strangely quiet. Must be frustrating if you arrived for your hols and intended to kick back for a few weeks. Might even be construed as unwelcoming.

Regards

This lunacy has got to stop. you're screwing with people's lives.

With this subject and all who have written in we have another great example of the type of people who write in to this forum, and you wonder why Thai immigration wants to discourage all of the 30 visa run people. The example these men set by sitting in the bars all day drinking and smoking makes all expats proud. To be able to benefit from your wisdom on this forum, well we are all blessed aren't we.

A bit cheeky for a noob to take a quote completely out of context, and then have a rant about it.

As I remember the (mis)quote you used was from a long term expat who was talking about his business suffering.

The vast majority of expats don't want the miscreants here either, but this is a silly way to try and make your point.

O'Reilly's on Silom and Thaniya is serving today. I had a fight with/breakdown in front of the staff there and have not been back since, but I think I'll have to go in disguise today.

I have been reading this thread and thus far resisted commenting, but I can't help it anymore. All those people saying "Oh, if you can't take a weekend off of drinking then you're an alcoholic", as if this is an accusation. Alcoholism is a serious disease. I am an alcoholic. The nay-sayers on this board will say "get some help, then." I have gotten help. This is something I've struggled with all my adult life. I've had long stretches of sobriety, battling my own demons, going to doctors, rehab, AA. I am now, however, not sober. I just returned to the country 2 days ago and was not aware of the upcoming ban, and was thrown into a state of crisis when I learned of it after six last night. I went to 5 local stores and a heap of bars but no one would sell to me. Fortunately, I had a half a bottle of whiskey left, but this is not enough to allow me to sleep. I drank my wife's Japanese cooking sake and a large bottle of mouthwash. I keep making typos because my hands are shaking. I'm not asking for your pity, I'm simply saying that this ban is indeed "screwing with people's lives."

Most will agree that alcoholism is a disease, but not extend the same sympathies to alcoholics as those with other diseases, for the reason that poor life choices often lead to one's alcoholism. I concede this point, but what about other such diseases? Some people with adult onset diabetes got it from poor eating habits and addiction to food. Some people with HIV made poor decisions about sexual partners and use of protection. Just because someone has made less than stellar life choices is no reason to deride them or unexpectedly deny them their lifeblood. For the next election, why don't we ban insulin or ARVs (AIDS drugs)? Will some of the posters making insensitive comments about alcoholism use the same reasoning if this occurs? If insulin is banned, will you say, "Hey buddy you shouldn't have pigged out your entire life, you fat-ass?" Of course, alcohol is not appropriate treatment for alcoholism, but 'drying out' unexpectedly can have serious adverse physical and mental consequences.

Edited by tycann

THIS is the last time i say it, SOI COWBOY OPEN 14 15 AND 16, if you want a drink come to FANNY BAR and ask for khun pim,tell her pa sent you.

you can now relax, and cheers,go nuts guys. :D

Just as a matter of interest:- Was it business as usual last night?

Not that I need it :o but as I draft this post I'm enjoying a Tiger along with the Thais having a beer next door in the local store. Village life has it's advantages. :D

I was in Patpong between 10pm and 3am last night.

EVERY bar was serving alcohol as normal. Just like a normal night out. No fuss, not even any plastic cups etc.. to try to disguise alcohol!

Suggest anybody with a thirst goes there tonight.

Amazing Thailand....

2001 - 9/11

2002 - SARS

2003 - Bali Bomb

2004 - Tsunami

2005 - Bird Flue

2006 - Coup

2007 - Elections

As one whose UK-based tourist-business was affected, may I also point out,

2000 - Millenium Bug

Remember that ? Planes will be crashing, your bank's records of your cash will be wiped, your electronic-controlled car-engine will not start, etcetera ! :o

2001 - 9/11

2002 - SARS

2003 - Bali Bomb

2004 - Tsunami

2005 - Bird Flue

2006 - Coup

2007 - Elections

As one whose UK-based tourist-business was affected, may I also point out,

2000 - Millenium Bug

Remember that ? Planes will be crashing, your bank's records of your cash will be wiped, your electronic-controlled car-engine will not start, etcetera ! :o

Cripes,

I hope ankle length t-shirts are in fasion by the time of the next general election.

To the ever-increasing number of posters who claim that the bar closure rule for the current weekend was announced in the media weeks ago, please put up or shut up. Where are the links? Where are those articles?

FACT: Even Pattaya Police stations did not have notification of the no-booze edict for the 14-15-16 as late as mid-afternoon on the 14th. A friend who is a Jomtien bar owner sent his Thai manager to the Dongtan police station that morning and was told there would be a "decision" announced at 5:00pm, an hour before the alleged ban was to be effective. The Police Chief said he had no notice regarding a ban as of that morning.

FACT: Apparently a *few* businesses in Pattaya, including Villa Market at The Avenue, got an official written notice, but only two days before the ban was in effect. Shenanigans restaurant, in the same shopping complex, was not aware of any ban when I asked on the afternoon of the 13th.

FACT: The no-booze edict for the true election date -- NEXT WEEKEND -- *has* been well-publicized in the media for several weeks.

I maintain that the ban for booze this weekend was very badly handled. Finding out within 48 hours that alcohol may not be served, a restaurant which was catering a large private dinner party, and even a street party to benefit HIV charities, were a bit hard pressed to work around the ban.

So, where again are those week(s)-old media reports about the 14-15-16th ban on alcohol sales?

I have no horse in the race regarding the banter whether two booze-less weekends at the very start of high season are a Good Thing or not. I simply feel that the last-minute decision to include the current weekend was very poorly implemented and indeed caused a lot of anxiety for restauranteurs, bar owners and hotels.

I have no horse in the race regarding the banter whether two booze-less weekends at the very start of high season are a Good Thing or not. I simply feel that the last-minute decision to include the current weekend was very poorly implemented and indeed caused a lot of anxiety for restauranteurs, bar owners and hotels.

I can post the 2 page letter a friend received morning of the 14th when I scan it. It was drafted in Udon Thani on the 7th and another attachment was written on the 10th at the local Amphur office. So he had the letter and was visited by the police when I was there at 15:00, 3 hours before the closure time.

Tycann, your honesty is admirable and may help others. AA has many meetings in Thailand. Info at www.aathailand.org or pm me.

Thanx.

I too sympathise with your plight. I think if you get off the main roads you should be able to find a Thai 'Mom and Pop' store that will sell you some booze. It would also seem that it is available in the Pat pong area.

tycann's dilemma illustrates the fact that the people who will be inconvenienced the most are tourists etc, especially those just off the planes with no prior warning. Those of us who live here - and that includes all Thais - will have no problems in getting round the booze ban if we need a drink.

tycann, you didn't mention the most obvious ban - and it may even happen one day. Suppose our Big Brother from the ministry of 'we know best' decided to ban smoking - for the election or whatever, with little prior warning. That would really set the cat amongst the pigeons. And anything is possible in amazing Thailand.

Back to the booze ban. My Thai wife, who is fiercely patriotic and agrees with all the recent anti farang measures, and doesn't think foreigners should own one square inch of Thai soil etc etc, has suggested that it might have been better if only Thais were banned from drinking, and farangs , (upon production of ID to prove they aren't Thai :D ) - should be allowed to buy booze as normal. :D

So even a 'brain washed' anti farang Thai, thinks this measure is way over the top. :o

Alcohol is available at Tesco, Carrefour, Foodland and other stores throughout their opening hours provided you buy more than ten litres.

Is this true? Even during the ban period? Anything u need to know? Or can you just walk to the counter with 3 boxes of chang and pay up? lol, sounds a bit too good.. :o

I was in Patong Phuket until this morning. Last night severals shop had signs saying no alcohol sold after etc..... Some bars were announcing closing at 6:00 pm. eg Irish Bar on the beach road. The go-go bars didn't appear to be making an effort to open either this was 4:30 pm. We arrived home in the sticks about 1:pm, my wife walked into the local shop and bought 3 bottles of Chang. :o We also stopped for lunch in Thai Meuang, and they didn't seem to have a problem either.

Edited by Mosha

I heard on the radio that thye Chinese are the largest and fastest growing segment of foreign tourism in Thailand (so Brits and Yanks etc are not really so important?), so I wonder if this ban will make any difference to them?

You are not suggesting the Chinese are TT are you? :o

Arrived here for a months holiday 4 days ago, was in Bangkok until yesterday (great so far) and then arrived in Phuket last night, got showered dressed and headed out as normal only to be told by the hotel reception that there is a ban on the sale of alcohol and that all the bars are closed!!

First I heard of it, so headed out anyway to see what the craic was. Disaster.

Patong Beach was basically a ghost town, just 100's of dismayed thai ladies wondering where their usual custom was and a load of lonely bored looking tuctuc drivers sitting beside their emtpy tuctucs.

Gave up after about half an hour and was back in my hotel room by 00:30.

Case in point I didnt spend a penny of my tourist money. Wont tonight either.

Just googled it now and this is the first link that came up, and is also the first time I've learned that I am basically having another 4 nights of my holiday wasted and taken away from me by the thai government. I had previously assumed it would end at midnight tonight. And again on the 22nd?! For fuc_ks sake they must be mad.

Its a f*cking disgrace. Im also not happy with the TAT for not mentioning this, if they knew, before sending us down here. If I had of known I would have booked some kind of route away from the non-existing nightlife for these prohibition days.

I literally have nothing to do here during the night hours now today and tommorow except mess around on the internet and get very very bored in this hotel room. I mean yes I can technically get drink in the hotel, its sitting there in my rooms mini-bar. But sitting in this room with my mate drinking or roaming deserted streets at night is NOT what I came to Thailand for and is not what I look for in any holiday.

I also will probably not risk coming here again if this is the kind of thing that can happen. In one swoop the government has effectively reduced my holiday from 26 nights to 22. Not happy, not happy at all.

Edited by NEILINTHAILAND

No doubt multi-millions of baht in losses over 5 days of not selling booze to millions of tourists. Where is the good ole Thai prejudice when we need it? They have special rules (prices) for falangs at national parks , why not for buying alcohol? duh!! :D

What a load of nonsense. Many tourists spend until their money is gone. If they have saved some money over this weekend, they will blow it in the coming days. If they spend it on food, tours, etc instead of booze, then that's a bonus for those industries, but still money spent in Thailand.

This thread is a load of old gash .... :o

What a load of nonsense. Many tourists spend until their money is gone. If they have saved some money over this weekend, they will blow it in the coming days. If they spend it on food, tours, etc instead of booze, then that's a bonus for those industries, but still money spent in Thailand.

Rubbish, I'll spend it on the next leg of my trip in Vietnam, Laos or Australia. Thailand has lost 5 days booze money from us 3 here definately, aswell as anything else we would have spend on while out at night since we will likely spend most of it in this hotel room.

Daytime might not be affected greatly but nighttime spending DEFINATELY will.

To the ever-increasing number of posters who claim that the bar closure rule for the current weekend was announced in the media weeks ago, please put up or shut up. Where are the links? Where are those articles?

FACT: Even Pattaya Police stations did not have notification of the no-booze edict for the 14-15-16 as late as mid-afternoon on the 14th. A friend who is a Jomtien bar owner sent his Thai manager to the Dongtan police station that morning and was told there would be a "decision" announced at 5:00pm, an hour before the alleged ban was to be effective. The Police Chief said he had no notice regarding a ban as of that morning.

FACT: Apparently a *few* businesses in Pattaya, including Villa Market at The Avenue, got an official written notice, but only two days before the ban was in effect. Shenanigans restaurant, in the same shopping complex, was not aware of any ban when I asked on the afternoon of the 13th.

FACT: The no-booze edict for the true election date -- NEXT WEEKEND -- *has* been well-publicized in the media for several weeks.

I maintain that the ban for booze this weekend was very badly handled. Finding out within 48 hours that alcohol may not be served, a restaurant which was catering a large private dinner party, and even a street party to benefit HIV charities, were a bit hard pressed to work around the ban.

So, where again are those week(s)-old media reports about the 14-15-16th ban on alcohol sales?

Well, the Big Mango knew of the 14th closure by the 5th at the latest: http://www.2thebigmango.com/?p=559. So there's the link you requested. If I were you, I'd put a 500 baht note in the hand of a bar manager at one of the bigger venues and ask him for tips on how to do your job. You have a duty to keep yourself informed of these laws and events so that you can advise your customers to reschedule that big event planned for the 14th.