Limoncello's Pizza

fennielyn

Alright, so it's tucked in a little corner on Soi 11 and I'd definitely have missed it if I weren't looking for it as desperately as I was owing to the recs and raves here.

The place was packed on the both nights that I went and except for diners talking loudly over each other, there was little to complain about the ambience, then again, I was all about the food and couldn't care less about the noise level and din.

Ordered the Quattro Formaggi and since I've always had tomato-based sauce, decided to try the white sauce for a change and glad that I did. The rich cheese flavours came through perfectly without the oftentimes overwhelming tomatos fighting them. Lil sis, the girl-child couldn't quite handle the blue cheese and I ended up finishing most of the pizza which wasn't very big in the first place. Every bite was worth savouring and if you're a cheese-freak, this is definitely worth trying. Crust was thin yet not baked to a crisp as most Italian pizzarias are in the habit of doing so these days. An absolute pleasure in all and I left the place sublimely happy and in pizza/cheese heaven.

Pictures speak a gazillion words. =p

post-49374-1197594790_thumb.jpgpost-49374-1197594594_thumb.jpg

post-49374-1197594821_thumb.jpgpost-49374-1197594754_thumb.jpg

Also tried Limoncello today for lunch for the first time, based on a lot of good reviews here and elsewhere.

The restaurant (sort of cafe style) was nice and the food was good, and reasonably priced. As has been reported elsewhere, the tiramisu for desert is very good and authentic, a real pleasure to eat.

Re the pizza, everyone has their own and different tastes. While ours was good, it came out of the kitchen a bit too much on the soft side in terms of the crust and toppings. The center of the crust would really fall/droop when you hold a piece, and the toppings would fall off loose.

My preference is for a bit crisper, firmer crust and having the meat and vegetable toppings baked a bit crisper so they're not soggy....and held together more with melted cheese.

Based on the overall impression, I actually like the restaurant and pizza/food across the road at Via Vai near the entrance to Soi 8 a bit better. The pizza there is great and very tasty, more in the style I mention above. Some of their pasta dishes also are to die for.

And, the dining room at Via Vai is much more spacious and refined, vs. Limoncello being more casual ambiance. But I'm certainly willing to give Limoncello another try with their pizza... maybe they pulled ours a bit quickly from the oven today. And the rest of their menu likewise deserves exploring.

--John

I'm used to dine quite often at Limoncello but have not been there for years now. Glad to know it's still doing good and gets you happy stuffed! ;-) Hate the way they set up the table very close to one another though. Remember it's so hard to get out when we got the table near the window and it's like fighting to ladies' or smoke.

Pizza looked good!! Hmmm, got me drooling now. I may check it out this week.

Alright, so it's tucked in a little corner on Soi 11 and I'd definitely have missed it if I weren't looking for it as desperately as I was owing to the recs and raves here.

The place was packed on the both nights that I went and except for diners talking loudly over each other, there was little to complain about the ambience, then again, I was all about the food and couldn't care less about the noise level and din.

Ordered the Quattro Formaggi and since I've always had tomato-based sauce, decided to try the white sauce for a change and glad that I did. The rich cheese flavours came through perfectly without the oftentimes overwhelming tomatos fighting them. Lil sis, the girl-child couldn't quite handle the blue cheese and I ended up finishing most of the pizza which wasn't very big in the first place. Every bite was worth savouring and if you're a cheese-freak, this is definitely worth trying. Crust was thin yet not baked to a crisp as most Italian pizzarias are in the habit of doing so these days. An absolute pleasure in all and I left the place sublimely happy and in pizza/cheese heaven.

post-49374-1197594790_thumb.jpgpost-49374-1197594594_thumb.jpg

post-49374-1197594821_thumb.jpgpost-49374-1197594754_thumb.jpg

Hi fennielyn,

Welcome to BKK! Hope you stocked up at Changi before you left! :D

Glad you enjoyed it and really glad that jfchandler also loved the tiramisu which is what I can hold my hand up to for recommending SO MANY TIMES on here (Sorry Folks).. :o I rave on about this all the time!

Next you have to try the fish baked in salt at Zanotti's, Saladaeng Soi 1 (the same owner as Limoncello). More details in my post here in the Ladies Forum! http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=153353

:D

Are you suggesting that ONLY ladies might be interested in fish baked in salt at Zanotti's??????

I HOPE NOT!!!!! :D:D:D Real men eat fish all the time!!!! Hehehehehe...

Thanks for the suggestion. It was already on my radar.... --John.

Next you have to try the fish baked in salt at Zanotti's, Saladaeng Soi 1 (the same owner as Limoncello). More details in my post here in the Ladies Forum! http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=153353

:o

Fish in salt? Pour a pint of fish sauce over a can of tuna, nuke on high in microwave for three minutes ... Fish Baked in Salt. Serve on deep fried pita bread (for that healthy Mediterranean diet). (That's a man's recipe for you.)

Edited by Jingthing

Limoncello in Phuket is one of the worst experience I had in the past years. Managers looks drunk and pizza was orrible. Service was late and not polite. If you choose this place make sure you are not hungry....

I will never suggest to go there.

Had a great salad and pizza tonight in the new Limoncello here in Phuket, fantastico.

Gerd

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fennielyn, i'm glad you found lemoncello. my favourite pizza there is the Saporita, rocket and parma and cheese, its rustic simplicity at an ethereally scrumptous level. i'd also recommend the roast chicken which is beautifully done with rosemary and root veges. skip the pasta, very ordinary. cheers.

• 2 years later...

I've been going to Limnocello on and off for about 6-7 yrs. I finally got tired of the fact that they never make any attempt to change their menu or offer a blackboard menu. Sure the pizza is OK but some of their pastas are not at all good - Spaghetti bolognaise - surely the benchmark dish for any Italian trattoria (as opposed to high end Italian) - was very bland with the sauce simply dumped on top of the pasta rather than being incorporated into the pasta. A couple of other little things - no bread on the table - has to be ordered and the bread is not at all good. The worst thing about this restaurant however is that the seating is too cluttered and there are simply too many tables squeezed in together. The best thing - the staff. All very experienced, knowledgeable and attentive. They must be doing something right though because the place is packed every night - mind you the majority are Thai and also lots of Japanese customers. For my money Rossanos around the corner on Soi 19 is a far superior restaurant albeit a little more expensive.

I've been going to Limnocello on and off for about 6-7 yrs. I finally got tired of the fact that they never make any attempt to change their menu or offer a blackboard menu. Sure the pizza is OK but some of their pastas are not at all good - Spaghetti bolognaise - surely the benchmark dish for any Italian trattoria (as opposed to high end Italian) - was very bland with the sauce simply dumped on top of the pasta rather than being incorporated into the pasta. A couple of other little things - no bread on the table - has to be ordered and the bread is not at all good. The worst thing about this restaurant however is that the seating is too cluttered and there are simply too many tables squeezed in together. The best thing - the staff. All very experienced, knowledgeable and attentive. They must be doing something right though because the place is packed every night - mind you the majority are Thai and also lots of Japanese customers. For my money Rossanos around the corner on Soi 19 is a far superior restaurant albeit a little more expensive.

Seconded re Rossanos.

Limoncello in Phuket is one of the worst experience I had in the past years. Managers looks drunk and pizza was orrible. Service was late and not polite. If you choose this place make sure you are not hungry....

I will never suggest to go there.

Had a great salad and pizza tonight in the new Limoncello here in Phuket, fantastico.

Gerd

Mmmm, you wait 3 years to write your first post, just trying to destroy a good restaurant. mmmmm :ermm:

I used to love this place but the food has gone downhill in the last year or two. Service is always good as you say but too crowded at the weekend for my liking I prefer Via Vai for the same price range nowadays.

• 3 weeks later...