270 Maximum Stay ?

Hi all ...

I am sure that there is a thread like mine in the forum, but my search was not successful.

My question: I am EU resident, that means I can enter Thailand with visa exemption for 30 days.

Maximum stay with visa exemption is 90 days in 180 days.

If I enter with a triple-entry tourist visa, I could stay 180 days.

Immediately after this I could stay 90 days because of the visa exemption.

Is that the maximum or are there any other ways to extend the stay?

You could go get a new tourist visa each time.. Each entry on a tourist visa can be extended 30 additional days in country for 1900 baht.

You could look at getting a non imm O from a consul that issues them good for 1 year (15 months if you start a 90 day entry just as it expires).

You could work, you could marry, if over 50 you could retire, you could study, you could become a monk, etc etc

Hi all ...

I am sure that there is a thread like mine in the forum, but my search was not successful.

My question: I am EU resident, that means I can enter Thailand with visa exemption for 30 days.

Maximum stay with visa exemption is 90 days in 180 days.

If I enter with a triple-entry tourist visa, I could stay 180 days.

Immediately after this I could stay 90 days because of the visa exemption.

Is that the maximum or are there any other ways to extend the stay?

Each entry of the triple tourist visa can be extended for 30 days.

The maximum stay with visa exemtion is 90 days in 6 months. NOT 180 days. It does make a difference for those counting the days and nearing the limit.

It depends on the validity period of the three entry visa - if 3 months you would not be able to obtain more than 6 months stay. If valid for six months your could obtain almost 9 months stay.

It also depends on if immigration is willing to extend each stay for 30 days - they could, and on occasion do, limit it to 7 days extension.

You could go get a new tourist visa each time.. Each entry on a tourist visa can be extended 30 additional days in country for 1900 baht.

You could look at getting a non imm O from a consul that issues them good for 1 year (15 months if you start a 90 day entry just as it expires).

You could work, you could marry, if over 50 you could retire, you could study, you could become a monk, etc etc

I'm not all that good at math... this counting thing might not work out for me... Tell me more about the Monk gig?... Do I have to shave my head and give up sex (with a partner)... Will they issue a multiple entry visa?... :o

Edited by sfokevin

Hmm ... I have to ask again ...

The website of the German Thai embassy says that the three-entry-tourist visa has a validation of 180 days.

That means I have to enter Thailand three times within 180 days.

Hmmm ...

I try to construct an example ... let's count 30 days/month ...

Issue of visa: 1 January 08

End of validation: End of June 08

1. Entry: 1 January, stay until end of February (60 days)

END OF FEB: extension of 30 days, stay until end of March

2. Entry: 1 April, stay until end of May (60 days)

END OF MAY: extension of 30 days, stay until end of June

3. Entry: End of June, but BEFORE expiration of tourist visa. Stay until end of August (60 days)

END OF AUGUST: extension of 30 days, stay until end of September.

@ lopburi ... according to your words, that should be possible ...

Or did I misunderstand you?

Next question:

visa exemption allows me to enter three times (30 days each) without visa.

Is it possible to use the visa exemption entries immediately after the tourist visa entries?

If you look at my example, that means I would enter with visa exemption at the beginning of October.

I hope to get again some helpful answers.

---- edit

I just found this text on this site ...

6 month validity, 2 to 4 entry tourist visa: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate and will result in the holder obtaining a 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp upon entry if from a 30 day visa exempt entry country (listed below) or 30 days if not. If required, this type of visa may normally be extended by 30 days at an immigration office, but after that time the holder must leave the country. The holder may then return to the Kingdom and will obtain a second 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp which can also be extended as previous and then the holder must leave. After the stipulated number of entries the visa is “used”.

I am from a visa exempt country. That means the validation of my visa is 60 days. Does that mean that the 60 contain already the visa exemption period of 30 days? That would mean I could not enter with visa exemption after my tourist-visa-entries ... hmmm ... embarrassing.

Edited by bubu

60+30, exit/entry x 3 during validity of visa. You may be asked for proof on onward travel during any extension of stay and if you don't have a ticket out at the end of the requested 30 days only receive a 7 day extension (but this is still the exception rather than the norm). Am not sure you will be able to obtain the visa in Germany and enter Thailand the same days and have not checked for 31 day months but outline is how it works. And yes you should be able to use 30 day visa exempt entry after this.

What about the visa runs?

I can get the 3-entry-visa only in Germany.

But after having used the "German tourist visa", is it possible to "buy" a new tourist visa in one of the neighbour countries?

Again and again?

Or is there a maximum of visas allowed per person/year/period?

I called the Thai consulate here in Germany today ... and they said that it is possible to survive with this "method" for a couple of months, but not for years.

And one person in a German Thai community told me that I would get a stamp one day, telling that no tourist visa should be issued anymore.

Did you ever hear about it?

Of course, it would be much easier to travel or to "live" in Thailand with non-immi visa. But how to get it? It seems to be difficult ...

No. Not only in Penang. Vientiane was well known for using that stamp previously (although currently a good option). Believe Cambodia uses (when they even issue a visa). People are being told not to return to Singapore recently.

lopburi, back to my initial question ...

Are you sure that all 3 entries with my tourist visa can be extend by 30 days?

Or can they decline the extension?

And are you sure that I can use the visa exemption immediately (one day later!) after my 3rd TV departure?

Extensions of stay are always up to immigration. They may require proof of onward travel to issue 30 days and only provide 7 days without it. But in general they normally issue without questions.

Yes you can use visa exempt entry immediately if you are from a qualified country.

Tell me more about the Monk gig?... Do I have to shave my head and give up sex (with a partner)...

There are a number of temples who will accept foreigners to ordain as monks.

You must first be accepted by the Temple then you can apply for Non Immigrant visa.

This allows you to enter Thailand and be ordained.

After that the Temple will arrange for the extension of your visa, one year at a time.

Please note that this is for men with a real intention to enter the monkhood.

If you drop out, your visa will be revoked.