British Club

boris

Does anybody know anything about the British Club in Bangkok?I've known about it for many years and have been invited for lunch a couple of times and am aware of its facilities.A friend suggested I should apply for membership.I'm tempted but before doing so I wondered whether there were any views.

Bit of Info on the BCB.....

last visited the place about 15 years ago but would assume nothing has changed :D

Seem to remember that they have first class billiard tables

plus ..also and bit more info for our chaps "out east" at the The British Chamber of Commerce Thailand :D

What is the British Club Bangkok?

Described as “an Oasis in the heart of Bangkok” the BCB is a family, sports and social Members Club situated in downtown Bangkok and this year celebrates its centenary. There are, at present around 1,100 Members. The BCB offers a wide range of facilities, sections and events for members to enjoy.

Facilities

50 Metre Swimming Pool

Children’s Swimming Pool

Four Tennis Courts

Children’s Covered Play Area

Three Squash Courts

Fitness Centre

Use of Two Badminton Courts

Thai Massage Facilities

All-Weather Pitch

Back Lawn (for functions)

Three Function Rooms

ATM

Big Screen & Projector

British style Pub (with British Pub Grub)

Dining Room (offering A La Carte cuisine)

Two outside Salas (offering Thai and international Cuisine)

Members’ Outside Catering & Function Service

Hours of Operation

The Club compound opens at 6am and closes around Midnight; The Fitness Centre opens from 6am to 9pm; The Poolside Sala's operate from 7am to 9.30pm; Thai Massage is available 9am to 6pm Tuesdays to Sundays; The Churchill Bar opens from 10am to 11pm; The Lords Dining Room from 11.30am to 2pm, and then 6pm to 9.30pm.

Sections

The Club has over a dozen active sports sections including Tennis, Badminton, Golf, Squash, Aquatics, Darts, Bridge, Cricket, Football and Rugby.

Events

The Club organises about 30 events a month including Bar Quizzes, Film nights, Wine Tastings, Food Festivals, Children's Films, Theatre Dinners, Junior sports camps. In addition there are many annual events like the Annual Christmas Ball, the Surin Elephant Roundup, the Carisberg Trip plus dozens of others. See What's On for this month's events.

Telephones & Dress Code

The use of mobile telephones and pagers is not permitted in the Churchill Bar, The Lord’s Dining Room or on the sports courts. The Churchill Bar has a dress code after 6pm requiring gentlemen to wear a shirt with a collar. Soiled sportswear, shorts and open-toe shoes are also not acceptable. Appropriate sportswear is also required to play each sport.

Brief history

The Club was founded a hundred years ago this year at a house at 189 Surawong Road, Bangkok by a group of British businessmen. In 1910 the present Clubhouse was opened on the same site, and in 1919 the land opposite was purchased which now houses the tennis courts and the swimming pool, and other leisure facilities.

The Club was inactive during both world wars, and indeed was occupied by the Japanese Army during WWII. It was successfully reopened in 1946, and over the next five decades, the Club moved from being a haunt for British businessmen, to a family, sports and social club. In fact are over 39 nationalities are club members, although British nationality accounts for half the membership.

Home | About Us | What's On | Photo Tour | Club Development | Club Sections | Links | Contact Us | Reciprocal Clubs :o

http://www.britishclubbangkok.org/About.asp

http://members.bccthai.com/BCCT/asp/

aha, that would be telling, would'nt it.

English to be precise. British is i believe an outdated term from the victorian days. have you ever heard a scot or a welsh saying "yes, i am british!" .....

I could have misread your post - are you training for a haiku competition or something ?

well i'm british through and through and i'm not bloody going there!

i came here to get away from that .

don't worry dave... we wouldn't want you in the brit. club.

anyway i hear that have an annual membership to the Number One Gentleman's Club :D

They let you in there!!!! :o

You'll be along side me in the Gents club soon :D

you love it too much you ole perv.

Nothing wrong with the British Club - for an occasional visit. But it comes expensive if you are only dropping in two or three times a year.

Facilities are good for the family that has been posted to Bangkok. But if you are here to run a local business, with your local family, then - like Davethailand - you will not be using it enough to justify the cost. And you will be in a different mind-set to many of the people there.

It is popular, well frequented, with very good staff and service.

If I lived in BKK I might consider membership, as it is I go as a guest on my trips to BKK, if I am in the company of members. It gives another facet to my life on these rare visits.

Nothing wrong with the British Club - for an occasional visit. But it comes expensive if you are only dropping in two or three times a year.

Facilities are good for the family that has been posted to Bangkok. But if you are here to run a local business, with your local family, then - like Davethailand - you will not be using it enough to justify the cost. And you will be in a different mind-set to many of the people there.

It is popular, well frequented, with very good staff and service.

If I lived in BKK I might consider membership, as it is I go as a guest on my trips to BKK, if I am in the company of members. It gives another facet to my life on these rare visits.

Thanks for the info and for the other posters who responded sensibly.I think I will give it a go.Incidentally does anyone have experience of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club which I have heard good reports of.

I've never been there as i live in pattaya but its the Piyarom sports club at 3079/23 Sukhumvit Road, Prakanong Bangkok

Yes it is there, yes they have tennis courts there. It has the reputation of being quite "Hi so" among the Thai community here.

It's easy to find, down sukhumvit road past On nut BTS station, look out for the Mc Donalds on the left, turn in there. Thats it.

I've never been there as i live in pattaya but its the Piyarom sports club at 3079/23 Sukhumvit Road, Prakanong Bangkok

Yes it is there, yes they have tennis courts there. It has the reputation of being quite "Hi so" among the Thai community here.

It's easy to find, down sukhumvit road past On nut BTS station, look out for the Mc Donalds on the left, turn in there. Thats it.

My Dads been a lawyer/consultant with the guy for nearly thirty years, he used to be commerce minister for thailand and he owns property in south kensington london, Knowing this i would expect it to be pretty classy. :o

Famous residents of South Kensington, London, SW7:

Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones)

Stephane Powers

Julian Lloyd-Webber

Jutinan Piromphakdi (Boonrawd chairman)

Gerd Flick (Mercedes-Benz)

Lady Barings (Banking)

Emanuel Petit

Martine McCutheon

Caprice

Koo Stark

James "The Rat" Hewitt

&

HRH Sheik Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum & Sheik Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Defence Minister/ Crown Prince and the Ruler of Dubai. (my ex-employee's)

Mick jagger has/had? a house there.

Chris Evans,

Ronnie Woods Club.

etc etc

I think Ronnie's club is actually in Kensington W8.

Don't Evans live in Notting Hill the <deleted>?

&

HRH Sheik Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum & Sheik Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Defence Minister/ Crown Prince and the Ruler of Dubai. (my ex-employee's)

Chris Evans,

Ronnie Woods Club.

etc etc

Woods club was Harrington Gdns i think and yeh your right i think Evans only drank in the pub on Motcomb St.

It’s O.K. I’ve been there lots of times. If you find a bar girl and want to export her to the U.K that used to be the place to go, it used to be the same day service. I must admit that I’ve not been there in the last 10 years so my information is a bit out of date.

&

Chris Evans,

Ronnie Woods Club.

etc etc

Woods club was Harrington Gdns i think and yeh your right i think Evans only drank in the pub on Motcomb St.

Apparantly Ronnie's place, the Harrington club, Harrington Rd, closed down last year.

story

&

Chris Evans,

Ronnie Woods Club.

etc etc

Harrington Gardens is basically Earl's Court, surely. It was when I lived there, anyway (back in the sixties - full of colonials from Oz and South Africa).

What's this to do with LOS, anyway? Don't get me started on reminiscing on Sou Sol / Cafe des Artites / Zambezi Club and so on.

&

Chris Evans,

Ronnie Woods Club.

etc etc

Harrington Gardens is basically Earl's Court, surely. It was when I lived there, anyway (back in the sixties - full of colonials from Oz and South Africa).

What's this to do with LOS, anyway? Don't get me started on reminiscing on Sou Sol / Cafe des Artites / Zambezi Club and so on.

Harrington rd or the club anyway is in sth kensington where you will find ragheads, rich old ladies, mercs and rollers where as Harrington gdns is in Earls court where you find aussies and campervans. :D:o

Famous residents of South Kensington, London, SW7:

My uncle and Aunt - Italian uncle who found, and wrote the story of, the American cop Surperco (spelling?) who rolled over on police corruption in the 60's. It was made into a 70's movie from the Italian news articles he wrote.

They have a house there amonst other places.

My ex-business partner. Owned a Thai Restaurant with him in South London a decade back. Not famous though.

Is Chris Evans famous other than 5 minutes of fame on TV as a bottom rung chat show host, a crap radio DJ, and getting caught by the beeb w*nking naked over Bay Watch - gotch. I mean he even joined forced with Ginger Spice after she went solo (or is that nowhere) after the spice girls had disbanded. I suppose our non-Brits are lucky enough to not know of him at all. :o