Pumpkin Pie

miltonbentley

Thank you.

I find that at this time of year, the pie tastes much better if you ask them not to refrigerate it. The cold will change the texture of the pie crust from (sometimes) excellent, to mediocre. I'm not sure that I would leave it out of the fridge more than 24 hours, however.

Had a request for pumpkin pie on the Christmas menu. (You know who you are :o )

Does anyone know where I can buy it ready made in CM

Thanks

Not that it answers your query, nor is it as easy as buying one, but I made an excellent one for Thanksgiving using local squash. Simple receipe available on line. That is an option if you have the time, an oven, and a mixer (too labor intensive without one for me).

T'other place that must not be forgot' is Charin, at their branches in Airport Plaza, 4th floor and Lotus Khamtieng.

I've been told that the branch near Chiang Rai is much better that the one at Airport Plaza which I would rate as OK, but not great, at least the last time that I tried it. Has the one at Airport Plaza gotten any better in the last year or so?

T'other place that must not be forgot' is Charin, at their branches in Airport Plaza, 4th floor and Lotus Khamtieng.

I've been told that the branch near Chiang Rai is much better that the one at Airport Plaza which I would rate as OK, but not great, at least the last time that I tried it. Has the one at Airport Plaza gotten any better in the last year or so?

I always understood all the sub branches received daily deliveries from the Chiang Rai main branch.

Maybe several years ago they started doing that when a lot of people remarked that the quality wasn't the same as the resort. I stopped gong out of my way to go to the one in Airport Plaza after not being very impressed, but people kept saying how much better the other one was.

Maybe I'll have to check it out again. Does anyone know for sure that the sub branches receive daily deliveries from the Chiang Rai main branch? :o

Back on topic.

This is my recipe for Pumpkin Pie with a bit of a local twist. It is a kind of cross between Sankhaya, Khanom Mor Kaeng and traditional Pumpkin Pie.

Use a Pate Sucree or very short butter pastry.

For the Pumpkin Filling:

3 large eggs

450 grams pureeed pumpkin

Approximately 120 ml thick coconut cream

Approximately110 grams grated palm sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Little under 1 tablespoon grated fresh young ginger

Generous Pinch grated nutmeg

Pinch ground mace

Pinch Ground allspice

Generous 1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Bake the pie base blind.

Whisk the eggs and beat in the other ingredients until you have a smooth batter consistency. Pour into the pie base.

Bake at 190 C for 45 minutes to 1 hour until set.

Cool before cutting to serve.

If you use the recipe, you owe me a slice and a bottle of black beer! :o

Bake the pie base blind.

Sorry please excuse my ignorance "blind"? Umm empty shell, filled with beans to keep it's shape?

CB

Got it in one! But you need to prick the base with a fork too, to stop it rising up.

Thanks - my mother was a very good cook and we used to do this sort of thing all the time - I just never heard the expression "cook blind" before. Wondered if it meant drinking a couple of bottles of cooking sherry first or getting Ray Charles in to do the pastries :o

And for the cooking challenged when p1p wrote "prick the base with a fork" he meant the pie shell not the beans (doh)

Approximately in another month I will have a kitchen with a real oven - hooked up to electricity and everything (deep joy).

CB

Maybe I'll have to check it out again. Does anyone know for sure that the sub branches receive daily deliveries from the Chiang Rai main branch? :o

The owner is the mother of a good friend of mine here at the university. We had a 3 day seminar at her resort a few years ago and I was duly impressed with the quality of the pies. Had a standing order in that when he went to visit to bring back a lemon meringe pie which lasted about 24 hours. :D

The person who operates the one at airport plaza is his nephew. They do not send the pies from Chiang Rai to here due to logistics and fragility of the pies and decided to setup all the baking facilities here. His nephew was taught by the grandmother many years ago and uses the same recipes as in Chiang Rai. But have not tried the one here yet to make a comparison.

Apologies for my errant information!

Not a problem p1p, I wasn't sure myself until I talked to him today because it seemed the obvious thing to do. They discussed this issue some time ago and due to the above problems elected not to do delivery runs.

Had a request for pumpkin pie on the Christmas menu. (You know who you are :o )

Does anyone know where I can buy it ready made in CM

Thanks

I heard they've got it at Tuskers, so that's where we're going! I won't be able to sleep a wink tonight, visions of "just like Mom used to try and make" holiday dinner dancing in my head! :D

Bake the pie base blind.

Sorry please excuse my ignorance "blind"? Umm empty shell, filled with beans to keep it's shape?

CB

Got it in one! But you need to prick the base with a fork too, to stop it rising up.

I place a piece of parchment paper between beans and pie shell during baking. As I use those disposalble alum pie tins, I have in a pinch placed and empty one on top uncooked crust with something of weight in it (example a pot lid) if no beans in house. Bake for 10-12 minutes, remove and finish crust till golden brown.

One thing I do if superfine sugar isn't availible is put sugar in a food proscessor and run it for 5 minutes. It seems to help out the texture.

Something I heard about pumpkin pies is women are turned on by it (the smell) more than any other aroma. Could this be why the interest :o