"full Spectrum Light Bulb"....where Do You Buy One?

webworldly

Hi! :-)

I don't get as much sunlight as I should.....and was hoping you could tell me where I can buy what is called a "Full Spectrum Light Bulb". From what I read, you put these in as substitutes for normal light bulbs (in ceiling light fixtures and lamps)....and you derive the benefits of exposire to sunlight.....but....they are not like "tanning lamps" so you don't get sunburn by sitting under them for hours at a time.

No spam here......but I will post the link to the information I saw about them. To be clear....I don't want to order from the USA.....I want to find them here in Bangkok.....any idea where I can do that?

http://products.mercola.com/light-bulbs/special/

CHEERS!

D

Full spectrum lights are commonly used for indoor growing. These come in all sizes, including full spectrum flourescent lighting, also known as compact flourescent lights. There is a hydroponics shop on Sukumvit soi 53 or 58. Sorry I don't have the contact info. This might be your best bet to look in hydroponics shops for these lights.

Load a rubbish! You're hardly going to replicate the full spectrum the sun chucks out across the board. Perhaps good for growing plants 24 hours a day, or maybe for artists living in northern Scandinavia where light is at a premium, but health benefits for humans? Nah. It's all spin/marketing and if it indeed it did have some benefit, it'd all be the work of the mind... IMO, that is :o

Load a rubbish! You're hardly going to replicate the full spectrum the sun chucks out across the board. Perhaps good for growing plants 24 hours a day, or maybe for artists living in northern Scandinavia where light is at a premium, but health benefits for humans? Nah. It's all spin/marketing and if it indeed it did have some benefit, it'd all be the work of the mind... IMO, that is :o

You have not heard of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)?. It's a known condition, not a work of imagination, and thus treatment of it might just be a health benefit. Sufferers have been known to top themselves, thats a bit unhealthy :D

@ webworldy. Your local Global House (just one example) has, here at least, a huge range of bulbs like that, rows and rows of them. Most show the spectrum graph on the side and some are "claimed" to be full visual spectrum. I doubt it, but it might be worth a look.

Hey Yorkman......thank you. I'm going to look for a "Global House" location here in BKK. I'll update on what I find so others who don't see enough of the sun can benefit, too.

And.....if it ends up "all being in the mind"....I'll try to post a bias-free update that will state that.

CHEERS!

D

Load a rubbish! You're hardly going to replicate the full spectrum the sun chucks out across the board. Perhaps good for growing plants 24 hours a day, or maybe for artists living in northern Scandinavia where light is at a premium, but health benefits for humans? Nah. It's all spin/marketing and if it indeed it did have some benefit, it'd all be the work of the mind... IMO, that is :D

You have not heard of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)?. It's a known condition, not a work of imagination, and thus treatment of it might just be a health benefit. Sufferers have been known to top themselves, thats a bit unhealthy :D

@ webworldy. Your local Global House (just one example) has, here at least, a huge range of bulbs like that, rows and rows of them. Most show the spectrum graph on the side and some are "claimed" to be full visual spectrum. I doubt it, but it might be worth a look.

It's probable the 'work of imagination' has made it a 'known condition' but at least it has an appropriate moniker. :D

Sure, people get miserable when remaining in dingy conditions for days on end (I know I do) and THE SUN is the great healer in the right doses, but saying that some bulb can replicate the full spectrum of the sun in order to bring one direct health effects of said stellar entity is pure folly IMO.

Not disputing that it does help people, perhaps through the placebo effect, and if you do become healthier as a result, then that's great; but using the so-called full spectrum of light marketing ploy is, let's say, a good one.

Just one question, OP; do you live in Thailand? If so, do you not think there is an abundance of real sunlight to take advantage of right on your doorstep? If your digs are dingy, then move somewhere with loads of natural light. UG hit the nail on the head!

All the breast :o

• 1 year later...
Load a rubbish! You're hardly going to replicate the full spectrum the sun chucks out across the board. Perhaps good for growing plants 24 hours a day, or maybe for artists living in northern Scandinavia where light is at a premium, but health benefits for humans? Nah. It's all spin/marketing and if it indeed it did have some benefit, it'd all be the work of the mind... IMO, that is :wai:

You have not heard of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)?. It's a known condition, not a work of imagination, and thus treatment of it might just be a health benefit. Sufferers have been known to top themselves, thats a bit unhealthy :jerk:

It's probable the 'work of imagination' has made it a 'known condition' but at least it has an appropriate moniker. :P

Sure, people get miserable when remaining in dingy conditions for days on end (I know I do) and THE SUN is the great healer in the right doses, but saying that some bulb can replicate the full spectrum of the sun in order to bring one direct health effects of said stellar entity is pure folly IMO.

Not disputing that it does help people, perhaps through the placebo effect, and if you do become healthier as a result, then that's great; but using the so-called full spectrum of light marketing ploy is, let's say, a good one.

Just one question, OP; do you live in Thailand? If so, do you not think there is an abundance of real sunlight to take advantage of right on your doorstep? If your digs are dingy, then move somewhere with loads of natural light. UG hit the nail on the head!

All the breast :D

:o:D:D:D

agree on this one, that one is just a marketing ..... the lamp cant even compared with the sun.

if you dont get much sunlight....try to install a glass brick in your home, it would help.

Load a rubbish! You're hardly going to replicate the full spectrum the sun chucks out across the board. Perhaps good for growing plants 24 hours a day, or maybe for artists living in northern Scandinavia where light is at a premium, but health benefits for humans? Nah. It's all spin/marketing and if it indeed it did have some benefit, it'd all be the work of the mind... IMO, that is :D

It's probable the 'work of imagination' has made it a 'known condition' but at least it has an appropriate moniker. :D

All the breast :o

Being Scandinavian, I am well acquainted with SAD. (In Sweden it is popularly known as "Lap Sickness", not uncommon among people who move to the north of the country, with its very short winter days.) A lot of (serious) research on light therapy has been done in recent years, with some very good results reported. Two brief quotes from Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_therapy ) on the subject:

"Light therapy or phototherapy consists of exposure to daylight or to specific wavelengths of light using lasers, LEDs, fluorescent lamps, dichroic lamps or very bright, full-spectrum light, for a prescribed amount of time and, in some cases, at a specific time of day. It has proven effective in treating Acne vulgaris, seasonal affective disorder, neonatal jaundice, and is part of the standard treatment regimen for delayed sleep phase syndrome. It has recently been shown effective in non-seasonal depression. Proponents claim demonstrable benefits for skin conditions such as psoriasis."

"While full sunlight is preferred for seasonal affective disorder (SAD), light boxes are also effective. When used for SAD and Bipolar Disorder with SAD features, the effect is most likely created by modification of the melatonin response.

It is possible that response to light therapy for SAD could be season dependent.[7] Also, in one study,[8] untreated patients compared to controls had higher daytime levels of melatonin in winter, but no difference in daytime melatonin during summer or after treatment in winter. In a comparative study, a presumed supersensitivity of melatonin receptors in SAD and bipolar SAD patients was observed where melatonin production was suppressed by dim light during the night, a suppression which was not observed in non-seasonal depressives or controls.[9]

Serotonin may also play a role. A study in 1992[10] found that serum serotonin levels increase in response to bright light therapy."

/ Priceless