Register Baby

Hello,

I was wandering if I could get some information, if possible. Basically, I'm from the UK, working in Thailand. I have recently had a baby with my thai girlfriend (we are not currently married). I want to get him registered as a UK citizen, and then in the future to get him a UK passport. I have been told he can have dual nationality until he turns 18, then he has to decide between English and Thai? Is this correct. Also, I have been told that I have to do it within the 1st year of him being bor, otherwise it is simply not possible. If this is true, as he is about 8 months old, I guess I should start the process. I would be grateful if someone could clear this up as money is a bit tight at the moment (being christmas and all!) and if there is not a 1 year deadline I will do in a bit later on.

Also, can someone, possibly who has been through the process before, tell me what paperwork is required, and the best way to go about doing it. i was thinking of using a visa company (the ones from the back of the bangkok post) are they worthwhile, or is it best to do it myself?

Thanks, in advance, if anyone can helo answer some of my questions!

Cowman, you don’t even need a lawyer for this.

This is what the Nationality Act says:

Section 14. A person of Thai nationality, who was born of an alien father and has acquired the nationality of his father according to the law on nationality of his father, or a person who acquires Thai nationality under Section 12 paragraph 2 is required, if he desires to retain his other nationality, to make a declaration of his intention to renounce his Thai nationality within one year after his attaining the age of twenty years, according to such form and in the manner as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

If, after consideration of the said intention, the Minister is of opinion that there is reasonable ground to believe that such person may acquire the nationality of his father or a foreign nationality, he shall grant permission, except in cases where Thailand is being engaged in armed conflict, or is in state of war, he may order the dispensation of any renunciation of Thai nationality.

This is how it works in practice:

If he does not make a declaration of his intention to renounce his Thai nationality within one year after his attaining the age of twenty years, he continues to have both nationalities.

Samran, the expert on this particular subject, has posted this several times and if he reads this will probably confirm it.

After getting his UK passport, he should always use his Thai passport to leave and enter Thailand and use his UK passport to enter and leave the UK. Also in dealing with any other Thai government offices, not just immigration, he should always do so as a Thai national, ie use his Thai passport or ID card. This will establish a record that as far as Thailand is concerned he does not desire to use his other nationality.

--

Maestro

On the assumption that you were born in the UK and that you are named on your son's Thai birth certificate, he will have automatically acquired British citizenship at birth. You do not need to register the birth will the embassy unless you choose to do so. Instead, you may simply apply for a British passport on your son's behalf. If you were to register his birth, this would cost more but he would be issued with a British-style birth certificate. As your son is likely to have automatically acquired British citizenship, this cannot be removed from him, so there is no requirement to affirm this entitlement within a year of his birth.

Scouse.

Thanks for all your help. That all sounds great, as my name is on his Thai birth certificate. As I was told it's about 30,000 baht to sort him out as a british citizen, and your saying he is automatically, I will just apply for a passport then at the embassy. It all sounds a bit too easy, after what I've been told, but good news! So is his birth certificate all the paperwork that will be required by the embassy? Thanks again for your help.

Just one more thing...his birth certificate is all in Thai, will that be a problem (he definitely has my name, but it's al in thai!) would it need to be translated or anything before getting a passport, or is the fact it's my name (albeit in thai script) enough?

Thanks

I suggest you give the translator a copy of the relevant page of your passport and ask him to make sure to use the same family name for your child in the translation of the birth certificate, then double-check when you get the translation.

Regarding the child’s first name, you may want to work out a transliteration that suits you and give it to the translator, rather than leave it to the translator.

--

Maestro

I actually went to the British Embassy last week to do this very thing. In and out within the hour even though they were queuing out of of the door at the consular section.

Birth registration - 10872 Baht

Passport - 5472 Baht.

Posted back to my house for an extra B100, should get them early next week.

All the information you need is here:

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717512679

You will need to get any Thai documents translated into English and then stamped/certified by the relevant Thai government office. I was quoted 2000 Baht for my son's birth certificate by a translation office on Ploenchit Road but manged to get it done for B1100.

All fairly straight forward so long as you get all the paperwork correct (as always).

Hope this helps,

SL.

Thanks for all the advise! So I can get him registered in much less than the 3 months time frame I was told? If this is the case, I will just do it in Frbruary when I have a bit more cash, he will still only be 10 months "ish" Also, does it matter tht I'm not married, it's just the link to the embassy implied that I needed to pay money if was a single father, but I may have been reading it wrong.

From the embassy link above:

Parents’ marriage certificate

For children born on / after 1 July 2006, it is no longer a requirement for the parents of the child to be legally married

British Fathers, who are not married, can now apply to register children who are born abroad prior to 1 July 2006, with the Home Office. Please note this is discretionary. Those applying should expect to receive a decision in approximately 4 months. The fee for this will be £400 payable in local currency plus a Consular forwarding fee of Baht 4,248. Please ask us for form MN1 or obtain it from the Border and Immigration Agency.

SL.

Whew !!!

So glad to know this....as i am waiting for the translation of the birth certificate....I was going to apply for a passport and a British birth certificate....but will save 10k Baht by just getting the passport only......and that money can go into her bank account.

Over 10k Baht just to register and get a birth certificate, is , IMHO....a decided rip-off.

THANKS FOR THE INFO....

Whew !!!

So glad to know this....as i am waiting for the translation of the birth certificate....I was going to apply for a passport and a British birth certificate....but will save 10k Baht by just getting the passport only......and that money can go into her bank account.

Over 10k Baht just to register and get a birth certificate, is , IMHO....a decided rip-off.

THANKS FOR THE INFO....

Just out of interest, where did you go to get it translated? And how much was it? Thanks.

Just out of interest, where did you go to get it translated? And how much was it? Thanks.

to cowman1

this is being done in Chiang Mai....

the address:

M.T.Translations

44,Thapae Road,

Chiang Mai,

tel:053 874 094.

The charge, at 300 Baht/page, seems eminently reasonable.

Sorry about the delay in answering..............have been having usual problems with my internet connection.

Cool, that's what I 'll do then, I've just tracked down my birth certificate from the uk. As long as he's not missing out on anything by not being registered, but a passport seems sufficient. Thanks for all your help.

Remember it needs to be the long birth certificate, not the abbreviated one as it needs to show you were born in the UK.