Renting Motorbike In Pattaya To Drive To Bangkok?

1stbase

Bunch of wimps if you ask me

Rode a bike 10 years in Bangkok 50,000 Km

100+ round trips to Chonburi

50+ round trips to Pattaya

Bkk-Udon-Bkk

Bkk-Buriram-Bkk

Bkk-Chiangmai-Bkk

Had a few spills - of course - still got two arms and legs

Be careful walking in the rain you may catch a cold and die a horrible death

An unusual and rare survivors story! On behalf of the thousands of dead bikers and there berieved familys - only a fool would ride a bike to bangkok out of choice - dont be a fool

Unfortunately the vast majority - 95%+ of riders in Thailand have had no training whatsoever. Call them pedestrians on killer machines if you like. I agree fools but they don't (or didn't) know any better.

I am no fool. I knew the risks. In many ways the risks (as I saw them) were less than being driven on public transport by a Thai driver with little or no training. I have been in numerous public transport accidents (as a pasenger) and come much closer to death than in my years riding bikes.

My bike riding days are over - apart from a potter now and again to the shops. A medical condition means that my eyesight is not what it was.

Life is a risk with of course only one certainty - death

Or to quote Froyd - the point of life is to die.

I do agree with you to some extent - but even experienced riders of motor bikes are high risk, thats why most insuarce (travel) companies dont insure for motor bike accidents.

I however, have a radical idea that would most certainly save numerous lives in thailand: introduce a driving test that is designed to actually test if people can drive - then enforce it as law!

Having briefly glanced at the bikes forum, I gather the OP is intending to make this trip on a very large bike (1000cc mentioned), so I can certainly see why he's having problems with the bike rental.

I would ride a bike to and in Bangkok, but I certainly wouldn't attempt it on such a large bike until I'd gained enough experience on it. I'd add that in my opinion, Thai roads generally aren't suitable for such a large machine.

Bunch of wimps if you ask me

Rode a bike 10 years in Bangkok 50,000 Km

100+ round trips to Chonburi

50+ round trips to Pattaya

Bkk-Udon-Bkk

Bkk-Buriram-Bkk

Bkk-Chiangmai-Bkk

Had a few spills - of course - still got two arms and legs

Be careful walking in the rain you may catch a cold and die a horrible death

An unusual and rare survivors story! On behalf of the thousands of dead bikers and there berieved familys - only a fool would ride a bike to bangkok out of choice - dont be a fool

Unfortunately the vast majority - 95%+ of riders in Thailand have had no training whatsoever. Call them pedestrians on killer machines if you like. I agree fools but they don't (or didn't) know any better.

I am no fool. I knew the risks. In many ways the risks (as I saw them) were less than being driven on public transport by a Thai driver with little or no training. I have been in numerous public transport accidents (as a pasenger) and come much closer to death than in my years riding bikes.

My bike riding days are over - apart from a potter now and again to the shops. A medical condition means that my eyesight is not what it was.

Life is a risk with of course only one certainty - death

Or to quote Froyd - the point of life is to die.

I do agree with you to some extent - but even experienced riders of motor bikes are high risk, thats why most insuarce (travel) companies dont insure for motor bike accidents.

I however, have a radical idea that would most certainly save numerous lives in thailand: introduce a driving test that is designed to actually test if people can drive - then enforce it as law! Excellent point.

I'm not suggesting you do this but, if you don't tell them, providing you don't have a problem, how will they know you've been to Bangkok on it? :D

Thats the thing, if it was policy / against there contract then sure no problem, bangkok here i come, but if the bangkok police are going to hassle me about it and possibly tow the vehicle off the road for being unregistered i am not sure it's worth the risk.

Why don't you buy a bike, use it for your trip then sell it on?

you was joking right??? :o

spend 200 k baht on a big bike just to go an hour and half on expressway to bkk.......only something like 120 baht on bus.

not quick n easy for a holidaymaker to register the bike in his name and then have the hassle of trying to sell the bugger after...lose a fortune just for highway experience.

to OP i suggest having a ride around the bigger roads outside pattaya,theres nothing special on the road to bkk apart from some nice big pot holes for a fast bike to not avoid.god luck

I'm not suggesting you do this but, if you don't tell them, providing you don't have a problem, how will they know you've been to Bangkok on it? :D

Thats the thing, if it was policy / against there contract then sure no problem, bangkok here i come, but if the bangkok police are going to hassle me about it and possibly tow the vehicle off the road for being unregistered i am not sure it's worth the risk.

you was joking right??? :oWhen I made this comment I wasn't aware he intended using a big bike.

spend 200 k baht on a big bike just to go an hour and half on expressway to bkk.......Bikes aren't allowed on the expressway only something like 120 baht on bus.

not quick n easy for a holidaymaker to register the bike in his name and then have the hassle of trying to sell the bugger after...lose a fortune just for highway experience. Depends how long he's staying.

to OP i suggest having a ride around the bigger roads outside pattaya,theres nothing special on the road to bkk apart from some nice big pot holes for a fast bike to not avoid.god luck There's no adventure in that though is there & certainly no story to share.

you was joking right??? :oWhen I made this comment I wasn't aware he intended using a big bike. ok fair enough

spend 200 k baht on a big bike just to go an hour and half on expressway to bkk.......Bikes aren't allowed on the expressway ok 2 hours on other roads only something like 120 baht on bus.

not quick n easy for a holidaymaker to register the bike in his name and then have the hassle of trying to sell the bugger after...lose a fortune just for highway experience. Depends how long he's staying.he would have to stay quite a while to make it anywhere nr worthwhile ive had 2 big bikes up for sale and cant sell at a loss in high season......he also mentioned he only wanted to rent for a week for highway experience

to OP i suggest having a ride around the bigger roads outside pattaya,theres nothing special on the road to bkk apart from some nice big pot holes for a fast bike to not avoid.god luck There's no adventure in that though is there & certainly no story to share.only story /adventure i can see in it is a trip to the hospital.......surely more adventure country driving or take to bira ....just my opinion!! :D

Where's your sense of adventure. Just go for it.

I have done it before on a scooter rented in soi 8. Had to go pick up a dress in Lad Pao. As already said, went up Sukhumvit, then at Chonburi, went under the Expressway, eventually, got into BKK, turned right at Asoke and headed up Ratchadapisek to get to Lad Pao. Took about 3 hours on a wee scooter. <deleted>, it was noisy though, had to put 5 baht coins in my ears to stop the noise. And then, I got to Central shopping mall and everyone was staring at me. Went into the toilets and realised why. I was black from all the dirt on my face from the lorries passing my by.

Anyway, got cleaned, picked up the dress and decided I needed a spot of R&R at the Eden Club, so I fire back down by Baiyoke, and got caught by the police in a bus lane. 200 baht later, I was relaxing just off Sukhumvit.

Then I had to get back to Pattya, all went well, until I got near Chonburi, then I could see this big dark line ahead of me, which turned out to be a downpour. Got completely soaked.

Made it back to Pattya about 8 o'clock, had a shower and went down to Worldwide a go go on Beach road.

So, yeah, go for it, just watch out for those bus lanes.

you was joking right??? :oWhen I made this comment I wasn't aware he intended using a big bike. ok fair enough

spend 200 k baht on a big bike just to go an hour and half on expressway to bkk.......Bikes aren't allowed on the expressway ok 2 hours on other roads only something like 120 baht on bus.

not quick n easy for a holidaymaker to register the bike in his name and then have the hassle of trying to sell the bugger after...lose a fortune just for highway experience. Depends how long he's staying.he would have to stay quite a while to make it anywhere nr worthwhile ive had 2 big bikes up for sale and cant sell at a loss in high season......he also mentioned he only wanted to rent for a week for highway experience As I said, had I been aware he wanted a big bike I wouldn't even have suggested it - selling a small bike is an entirely different matter.

to OP i suggest having a ride around the bigger roads outside pattaya,theres nothing special on the road to bkk apart from some nice big pot holes for a fast bike to not avoid.god luck There's no adventure in that though is there & certainly no story to share.only story /adventure i can see in it is a trip to the hospital.......surely more adventure country driving or take to bira ....just my opinion!! :D If he ends up in hospital it'll be an even better story, albeit a painful and costly one; if he doesn't live to tell the tale someone else will tell it for him & we'll have something else to talk about on here! :D Seriously though, he'll have more people wanting to listen if he talks of riding from Pattaya to Bangkok, rather than riding around Pattaya - it's the difference between taking a boat out to sea as opposed to pissing about in the port.

you was joking right??? :DWhen I made this comment I wasn't aware he intended using a big bike. ok fair enough

not quick n easy for a holidaymaker to register the bike in his name and then have the hassle of trying to sell the bugger after...lose a fortune just for highway experience. Depends how long he's staying.he would have to stay quite a while to make it anywhere nr worthwhile ive had 2 big bikes up for sale and cant sell at a loss in high season......he also mentioned he only wanted to rent for a week for highway experience As I said, had I been aware he wanted a big bike I wouldn't even have suggested it - selling a small bike is an entirely different matter.

to OP i suggest having a ride around the bigger roads outside pattaya,theres nothing special on the road to bkk apart from some nice big pot holes for a fast bike to not avoid.god luck There's no adventure in that though is there & certainly no story to share.only story /adventure i can see in it is a trip to the hospital.......surely more adventure country driving or take to bira ....just my opinion!! :D If he ends up in hospital it'll be an even better story, albeit a painful and costly one; if he doesn't live to tell the tale someone else will tell it for him & we'll have something else to talk about on here! :D Seriously though, he'll have more people wanting to listen if he talks of riding from Pattaya to Bangkok, rather than riding around Pattaya - it's the difference between taking a boat out to sea as opposed to pissing about in the port.

'Ships are safe in the harbour but thats not what they are built for' - however, motorbikes are dangerous in the town and on the highway, so i feel that quote precedes the advent of motorbikes :o

you was joking right??? :DWhen I made this comment I wasn't aware he intended using a big bike. ok fair enough

'Ships are safe in the harbour but thats not what they are built for' - however, motorbikes are dangerous in the town and on the highway, so i feel that quote precedes the advent of motorbikes :o

Motorcycles are only 4 or 5 times more fatal than cars. Anyways, yah i'll just bus to Bangkok, no one will rent to me here anyways, if I had GPS though I would do it in a heartbeat.

'Ships are safe in the harbour but thats not what they are built for' not in the hands of an inexperienced sailor - however, motorbikes are dangerous in the town and on the highway, so i feel that quote precedes the advent of motorbikes :o

That motorbikes are dangerous is a bit overplayed. If as you mentioned earlier, Thai Drivers & Motorcyclists underwent proper training and laws were enforced it should be safer riding a motorcycle in Thailand than say Europe - far less traffic on the road already & even less if Thai drivers had to pass a proper test. Even now, I still feel safer riding in Thailand than here in the UK, especially at this time of the year.

Why not get together with someone that lives here and knows the roads, I have a Honda CBRXX Blackbird and would be willing to go for a short trip if you want, how much bike experience do you have ? PM me

Although I went to take my bike out yesterday and had a flat front tyre (I think just the valve as I checked the pressure earlyer that day) today would be a good day to go

Why not get together with someone that lives here and knows the roads, I have a Honda CBRXX Blackbird and would be willing to go for a short trip if you want, how much bike experience do you have ? PM me

Although I went to take my bike out yesterday and had a flat front tyre (I think just the valve as I checked the pressure earlyer that day) today would be a good day to go

I have riden:

100cc for 2 weeks

150cc for 1 day

400cc for 1 day

600cc for 1 day

All long days. I need to return the 600cc in a couple hours. When I get the R1 later on I will shoot you a pm :o

I have riden:

100cc for 2 weeks

150cc for 1 day

400cc for 1 day

600cc for 1 day

All long days. I need to return the 600cc in a couple hours. When I get the R1 later on I will shoot you a pm :o

Try Mr. Deen Or Mrs Pond on Pattaya Soi 8 .

I have asked them before if a mate could take one out of Pattaya for a few days and he said no problem , as long as he knew where it was and had a contact number to check up on it . And I imagine that it was Paid for in advance .

Ride down to Trat via Rayong , Don't go to Kho Chang as the roads are too steep and windy for a beginner .

Just got back from Rayong. It's about 62km away right? Fun trip, roads were not bumpy but the wind was pretty bad and I never experienced wind on a bike before. At points it was pushing me to the right. Can wind cause me to crash if I am hanging on tight, or is the push just to scare me :o ? Whats the best thing to do when being pushed asides from slowing down...

I'm not suggesting you do this but, if you don't tell them, providing you don't have a problem, how will they know you've been to Bangkok on it? :o

Absolutely DO NOT TRY IT!!! biking in Bangkok is less for amateurs than Pattaya is. The Police are especially on the ball at this time of year. The traffic laws are far too complicated, e.g. you can only use teh left-most lane. If you are farang you will be stopped, not might, not maybe, not if you do something wrong. YOU WILL BE STOPPED and they will hold the bike.

If you leave your passport as security.........it speaks for itself eh!!

take the bus and enjoy

I ride up to Bangkok quite regularly and would agree it isn't for beginners on poorly maintained rentals.. I have a 1000cc bike purchased and registered in BKK but I live in Pattaya.. I take the bike back to the dealer for servicing as well as riding it to other provinces.. mostly this involves transiting thru BKK.. I have all the gear, boots, lid and jacket etc plus clas one insurance and all the other paperwork.. I would say I get stopped one trip in three by the cops in BKK.. and once youhave been stopped there seems to be a 50% chance of getting a ticket and then it's also 50/50 whether he will make you go to the police station or just give him the cash.. I speak Thai and sometimes this is an advantage.. sometimes it's better to only speak English.. I don't believe they can hold your bike.. but they will take your drivers licence.. Most of the time I've been lucky and the cops have been polite and friendly ( still got a ticket) If you have all the paperwork and your bike is legal there is nothing to worry about.. no diffo than being caught speeding or doing and illegal turn in farangland.. Of course if you don't have any papers etc expect more trouble.. If you get the wrong cop he will hold you up for more cash..

As for getting to BKK it's not a bad ride.. easiest way by bike is to follow Suhkumvit up thru Chonburi (the 3) and then move over onto the 'highway' (the 35) they run parallel to each other but the 35 has a much better road service... You can't use the motorway (the 7) but that's not a problem as it's still being worked on and in a <deleted> condition..

I rode down to Hua Hin three weeks back and only got stopped once on the way back. cop said my pipes were too noisy.. a quick chat and showed him the EU decibel sticker and I was on my way..

Just don't ride up there on a Beach Rd rental ! or without the proper paperwork..