Courtesy ?

fresnoboy

I am a little disappointed in some of the people that seem to have arrived in Pattaya/Jomtien. Last Sunday evening, my wife and I went for a walk, returning via Beach Rd. onto Chayapruk Rd. As we were coming up to Soi 4 a motorbike went by us, at speed, and the Thai rider gobbed us. Full in the face, both of us. I know that many people comment on the "gun culture" in the USA but, I can tell you that this would never happen without reprisal. Jai Yen Yen, just doesn't cut it !!!!!!!!! Don't tell me that this sort of thing happens world-wide. I have been all over the USA and Europe, and this has never happened to me or anyone I know. Had this happened in the USA, there would have been an "accident" !

OK, my venting is over now.

I do enjoy Thailand and most of its people but I had to say something.

I am a little disappointed in some of the people that seem to have arrived in Pattaya/Jomtien. Last Sunday evening, my wife and I went for a walk, returning via Beach Rd. onto Chayapruk Rd. As we were coming up to Soi 4 a motorbike went by us, at speed, and the Thai rider gobbed us. Full in the face, both of us. I know that many people comment on the "gun culture" in the USA but, I can tell you that this would never happen without reprisal. Jai Yen Yen, just doesn't cut it !!!!!!!!! Don't tell me that this sort of thing happens world-wide. I have been all over the USA and Europe, and this has never happened to me or anyone I know. Had this happened in the USA, there would have been an "accident" !

never heard of a situation like this in 18 years of coming here,.most odd, maybe a case of mistaken identity ?

Perhaps you conceived this gobbing as intentional, but if the rider was going past at high speed it could have been accidental. A lot of people spit on the street when riding a bike or driving a car. There's always the chance that a gob can hit somebody....just back luck.

I don't agree that this would necessarily gain reprisals anywhere else. How could a pedestrian catch a motorcycle riding past at high speed?

Perhaps you conceived this gobbing as intentional, but if the rider was going past at high speed it could have been accidental. A lot of people spit on the street when riding a bike or driving a car. There's always the chance that a gob can hit somebody....just back luck.

I don't agree that this would necessarily gain reprisals anywhere else. How could a pedestrian catch a motorcycle riding past at high speed?

I think he was on about a bullet catching them ! :o

Hope your up to date on your Hep A-B jab's you never no what that dirty sod has got that spat at you!

Sad event but I'm impressed with the rider's impressive aim and the fact that he hit both your faces!! Was it like a ricochet off your forehead into your wife's face or did the gob split mid air giving you perfectly equal portions? Sorry for your misfortune by the way.

its unfortunate Mike but Pattaya just isn't representative of the land of smiles anymore, there are some very agressive, rascist Thais out there now. i beleieve we are reaping what we have sowed. farangs have taught them the worst excesses of western behaviour and they are emulating that behaviour. i am very sorry this happened to fresnoboy and his wife.

its unfortunate Mike but Pattaya just isn't representative of the land of smiles anymore, there are some very agressive, rascist Thais out there now. i beleieve we are reaping what we have sowed. farangs have taught them the worst excesses of western behaviour and they are emulating that behaviour. i am very sorry this happened to fresnoboy and his wife.
Me too,.i do see complacency in the thais compared to years ago but i dont really see agression to be honest, unless of course the farang does something,.however i have said this before, it is a pattaya thing and not representative of the nation as a whole,.and again i agree with you on the western thing,. the world is becoming a smaller place and we are not ( in my opinion ) any better off for it,. thais just dont look right with baseball caps back to front and jeans in 15 sizes too big ! :o

Not quite sure what you mean. :D If gob = spit what has it got to do with gun culture? :o

Edited by Westerner

......the Thai rider gobbed us. Full in the face, both of us. I know that many people comment on the "gun culture" in the USA but, I can tell you that this would never happen without reprisal........... Had this happened in the USA, there would have been an "accident" !

Why, would you and your wife have aimed both barrels at him and gobbed back?

So, let's get this right. You were walking along Beach Road in Jomtien in a southerly direction heading towards Soi Chayapreuk. Presumably, you must have been on the eastern side of the road as, if you had been on the sea shore side, then the culprit must have had a spit like Superman!!!

You say that the "offence" took place as you were coming up to Soi 4. This area is one of the busiest areas on Jomtien Beach Road because of the many food vendors and outdoor tables stretching back to the shops. It's also a great place to park your motorbike if eating is your fancy and it's usually buzzing with people.

This Thai motorbike rider, who must have been travelling in the same direction as you and your wife and at speed, turned his head to the left side, ignoring completely the rest of the traffic and other people and continuing his ride blindly to the south, aimed his spit at yourselves and hit you both full in the face. Wow, what a well aimed, powerful and copious load of snot!!!! NOT!!!!

Edit: Spelling mistake

Edited by Taijitu

Me too,.i do see complacency in the thais compared to years ago but i dont really see agression to be honest, unless of course the farang does something,.however i have said this before, it is a pattaya thing and not representative of the nation as a whole,.and again i agree with you on the western thing,. the world is becoming a smaller place and we are not ( in my opinion ) any better off for it,. thais just dont look right with baseball caps back to front and jeans in 15 sizes too big ! :o

Interesting you should say that. Young Filipinos dress like that and it looks ok. Asians are usually small and skinny, so wearing loose fitting jeans makes them look healthier.

Edited by tropo

There are uncouth a$$holes all over the world. I'm sorry to hear that happened in Jomtien. I have a condo in Lalana and have walked that road many times. I have never had any problems but unfortunately things are changing all over the Pattaya area.

"I believe we are reaping what we sowed. Farangs have taught them the worst excesses of western behaviour and they are emulating that behaviour" - I have rarely read such apologist rubbish on these boards. Are you saying you - or others you know - have been teaching Thai idiots how to fire spittle from a speeding mechanised conveyance? For shame. Next time teach them some positive things - like how not to institutionalise corruption, to hold democratic elections, to punish outrageous corruption, to improve their shambolic education system, to have a less Xenophobic world view, and to learn to take SOME responsibility for their own actions, instead of face-saving in even the most egregious circumstances.

As others have said, the face of Pattaya is changing and the people of Pattaya do not represent the fine Thais found in other provinces. Just like so many whining farangs, the Thais of Pattaya seem awfully grumpy too. Eventually the 2 sides will come to blows. My husband and I had our motorbikes vandalized a few weeks ago. Still don't know the reason and no, we weren't parked in a taxi area!

Phyllis

As others have said, the face of Pattaya is changing and the people of Pattaya do not represent the fine Thais found in other provinces. Just like so many whining farangs, the Thais of Pattaya seem awfully grumpy too. Eventually the 2 sides will come to blows. My husband and I had our motorbikes vandalized a few weeks ago. Still don't know the reason and no, we weren't parked in a taxi area!

Phyllis

Rudy how did you get on with the bike repairs?

Link to Original Topic

Tourist areas all over the world are the same. The locals who live and work in

the area can tend to get a little jaded. This problem is compounded in Pattaya

because so many undesirables seem to come from every nook & cranny in

Thailand to prey on tourists. Some of them indeed have "been here too long"

My personal peeve is the trash talking which is so inconsiderate, to think that

no foreigner could possibly understand what you're saying, therefore it's okay

to offend with the most grevious insults and no harm is done. Well, if you repeat

what they say back to them they usually cower and run off to hide in the corner.

The Thais really need to work a little more on cleaning up their own house, they

are the hosts and the examples they set determine the local culture of the place.

How do you know he arrived in Pattaya....as a Thai he may have lived there all his life... :o

If he was riding at speed, it is likely he never even noticed you....he just needed to spit and did it...probably never gave it a second thought.

I have ridden motor bikes for a long time and have, over the years been hit by cigarette butts and various objects and yes, even spit from unthinking car drivers.

I doubt that this was intentional.....build a bridge and get over it

BTW for someone who enjoys Thailand, 3 out of your 4 posts have negative connatations

The guy who spat spat, its no good blaming the dim witted tourists they never taught him this.

The problem is westerners think Thailand is perfect, well its not Ots great place but they have their share of scum as all countries do.

Why do the Thais learn bad from us and not the good ?

The guy is an ass simple as that

The guy who spat spat, its no good blaming the dim witted tourists they never taught him this.

The problem is westerners think Thailand is perfect, well its not Ots great place but they have their share of scum as all countries do.

Why do the Thais learn bad from us and not the good ?

The guy is an ass simple as that

I dont think the OP thinks Thailand is perfect...after all this has never ever ever happened anywhere else but in Thailand.

Is someone who spits really scum ?? You see spitters on football grounds....Bloody heck didnt I see Becks spit once??? :D

I think he spat spit didnt he......or was it spit spat..... :o:D