Doi Angkhang

Mahseer

Is the above named worth a visit this time of year or has it become overrun with day trippers? I fear the latter as there is an article in this months Thai inflight magazine and another in todays Bangkok Post. Would mid Jan allow some peace and quite?

Thanks

Doi Angkhang (Royal Project) is very popular during the winter season. If you plan to stay there overnight, better make sure you have a firm booking. Many day trippers visit during the winter months. Could be quite cool as it is over 1,500 meters ASL.

Is the above named worth a visit this time of year or has it become overrun with day trippers? I fear the latter as there is an article in this months Thai inflight magazine and another in todays Bangkok Post. Would mid Jan allow some peace and quite?

Thanks

there's limited accomodation on Doi Angkang. The luxurious Angkang Nature Resort is really good, i've stayed there, but expensive (it's operated by the Amari Group). The village of Ban Khoom at the end of the road, right at the top of the mountain has a few cheaper bungalow/room type offerings. All these though are a just stones throw away from the entrance to the Royal Project.

It is very cold in the mornings this time of year, in the Amari resort electric blankets are standard..

If you're into wildlife, some of Thailand's rarest bird species are found here.

There [or were] comfortable, clean and cheap acomodations within the royal project grounds....we paid 600 bhatt for an A frame a couple of years ago and totally enjoyed the place. good food within the project as well.

not as upscale as the amari, but i think better than what appeared to be 'backpacker' acomodation outside the project.