Does Anyone Grow Sheep In Los

egg

Hi Egg, its the frozen pre-packed boneless NZ varietry, they do lamb ribs as well, pre-packed,with these you can cut and grill/fry as chops but you have to be quick with cooking, its a matter of pull the horns out wipe its arse and ill eat it, 30secs a side or they will be tough!!we get small pieces of pork from tesco, its ok, and i like to eat it all, for me, re-heated pork has a terrible taste!! Cheers, Lickey.

Just had a slow roast lamb on the spit for xmas......hmmmmmm awesome.

Gday squiggle and others,

In another life I have been a sheep breeder. I've also raised them in the sub tropics of northern NSW, Oz. Black faced Suffolk sheep do particularly well in these conditions, except in very wet years when fleece rot can be a problem. But they need good fences, as contrary to popular myth they are not stupid at all. Ours used to do dawn raids on the neighbours' avocado orchard and sneak back undetected. On one occassion the ram of the flock walked calmly past the usually angry but now sleeping blue heeler, into the neighbours house, past the family having lunch, down the hall, into the daughters bedroom, lay down on the floor and went to sleep. We knew nothing until our perplexed neighbour brought the struggling beast back to us.

I can also shear sheep, by hand if anyone needs help. Tim (the other one)

• 5 months later...

The availability of sheep in Thailand often pops up in the forum ,I have found a source in Thailand and will post more including pics in the next day or two.

For those who wish to research more ,they are the Dorper breed ,originally from South Africa and are meat animals which grow hair which moults instead of the normal wool.

There is a guy I know selling lambs for 2k or 2.5k each. He didn't mention any health issues and says dogs get used to them. They are popular for keeping grass under control and better than goats because goats tend to eat everything below a certain height. If anyone is interested, pls email me.

I read somewhere they utilize sheep (the hairy ones) in Rubber Plantations to keep the weeds down and to fertilize the soil thus cutting out the use of weed killer and reducing the need to by pewi (as much).

Wonder how many rai to a sheep to sustain it and what the savings would be in pewi from the walking fetilizing system? :o

I read somewhere they utilize sheep (the hairy ones) in Rubber Plantations to keep the weeds down and to fertilize the soil thus cutting out the use of weed killer and reducing the need to by pewi (as much).

Wonder how many rai to a sheep to sustain it and what the savings would be in pewi from the walking fetilizing system? :o

Because of the shade factor ground growth is not heavy in a mature plantation so a couple of sheep could keep a fair area under control.

Problem is that sheep are a bit picky on their diet unlike goats so many weeds are a bit unpalatable to them.

The Dorper is a bit different in that it will browse on shrubs like a goat.

Wonder how many rai to a sheep to sustain it and what the savings would be in pewi from the walking fetilizing system? :D

Because of the shade factor ground growth is not heavy in a mature plantation so a couple of sheep could keep a fair area under control.

Problem is that sheep are a bit picky on their diet unlike goats so many weeds are a bit unpalatable to them.

The Dorper is a bit different in that it will browse on shrubs like a goat.

If you had goats in a rubber farm would they end up eating the bark on the trees and eventually girdle it?

There are plenty of rubber farms with 1-3 year old trees around that are over grown in grass. Sheep might be beneficial on those lands. I need to read up on the hairy buggers. :o

The neighbor down the road has about a dozen goats that he walks past the house 2 times a day. I told him I wanted to eat them and he told me 500 thb. I am not sure if that was for the kid, nanny or billy.

How much do goats cost? Any TV members interested in a dozen goats? I think he is tired of taking care of them and would sell them. They don't eat them, don't milk them, don't sell the kids...So why have them?

We have a 12 rai area, fenced, water tank, and planted to fruit trees. Doper sheep may be a option for keeping grass and undergroth down as well as a leg of lamb once in a while. I guesstimate it would hold 10 to 12 year round with some supplement feeding (primarily for lambs to fatten). Anyone have experience or comments on this.