Rallies In Bangkok

chevykanteve

And now, the vote

Thousands of Bangkokians attended the final two rallies of a long election campaign on Friday night, setting the stage for Sunday's crucial election aimed at restoring democracy.

People will head to polling booths on Sunday in the first vote since twice-elected premier Thaksin Shinawatra was overthrown in a bloodless coup in September 2006 after months of political turmoil and street protests.

Many of Thailand's 45.65 million voters are hoping the elections will bring stability to a nation that has seen 18 coups since the end of absolute monarchy in 1932.

The military has relentlessly tried to dismantle Thaksin's political machine, the fallen premier remains a major force in the elections even though he has lived in self-imposed exile in Britain since the coup.

His allies, campaigning as the People Power Party (PPP) led by fiery right-winger Samak Sundaravej, drew more than 18,000 people to the Sanam Luang plaza in Bangkok's historic district, according to police.

Samak and the PPP are leading the polls going into the election, largely by promising a return of Thaksin's policies that fueled economic growth by aggressively courting foreign investment and giving rural Thailand a massive injection of cash.

The military-installed government has repeatedly spooked foreign investors and shaken domestic confidence, leaving Thailand's economic growth lagging behind the region.

PPP's main rival, the Democrat Party led by Oxford-educated Abhisit Vejjajiva, drew about 2,000 people to a small park next to a posh mall in downtown Bangkok, police said.

..... (partial quotation from he BKK Post)

Not a good indication. All PPP supporters turn up for the free money. Democrat supporters turn up for free.

FYI - 18,000 at sanahm luang is less than 1/20th standing capacity.

I suspect many of the Democrats who couldn't show up just watched it on ASTV (still belongs to Sonthi Limtongkul? --ASTV, I mean?).

And you say that all PPP supporters turn up only for the free money? Upon what do you base this assertion? And I'm not attacking you here; actually, I have much respect for you based on many of your previous posts.