Samsung Q1u Or Similar

eek

Looking to get hold of a reasonable priced Samsung Q1U or similar.

Plus has anyone had experience with this handheld? Pros/cons?

Ive read mixed reviews, but overall seems pretty good (although i think i would change to XP rather than the installed Vista OS).

Anyone know where i can get hold of one in Thailand? (preferably in Chiang Mai if at all possible).

Also, im happy to take a look at any other brands as well as Asian/Thai brands which offer similar at a good price.

Opinions advice would be appreciated. Cheers. =)

Most UMPCs are very expensive. They have a lot of the bells and whistles of a full laptop in a very small form factor. The EEEPC, while cool, lacks a lot of things, but because of that it's cheap.

Although Samsung sells a ton of electronics in Thailand, it's computer presence is nearly nil. You'll be hard pressed to find even Samsung laptops being sold here (although you *can* find them). Good luck finding the Q1U.

yeh the eeepc is cute, but sadly doesnt have what i need. the os is linux too and its a flash drive. Need something a bit more substantial. Ty for the suggestion, however, tigerbeer.

Firefoxx, you have any suggestions per chance? Or anyone else??

eek, what are you going to mostly use it for? its better if we know so that can advice on a proper machine. Actually the Asus EEE PC can be installed with Microsoft XP. Or any other linux of your choice.

my bro in law bought an Acer 12.1" laptop for about 30k, dual core intel etc etc. fantastic machine.

Well..i nvr know quite what specs cover what i need. Im just not that savvy :o So advice indeed appreciated...

I wish to browes net of course, use email. I would like to be able to run photoshop and (gamer than i am) some low res, low cpu greedy online games (but im happy with just having the one game that i help run on it). (although of course the more ram and bigger hard drive i can get ..but still staying small..would be great). (I have an external harddrive..so i could keep some things stored on that ??)

I dont know what is out there and its a mine field to look through. I dont know what would be a cost effective viable solution in Thailand/Asia. So yes, sorry for my naivety and thank you for any suggestions. :D

Edit: .i already have a laptop ..sony vaio Fs115s..so im really looking for more of a travel/carry around notebook.

Edited by eek

yeh the eeepc is cute, but sadly doesnt have what i need. the os is linux too and its a flash drive. Need something a bit more substantial. Ty for the suggestion, however, tigerbeer.

Firefoxx, you have any suggestions per chance? Or anyone else??

I was shopping for UMPCs lately as well... The two that interested me the most were the Fujitsu u810 and the Sony UX series. I'm generally anti-Sony because of their pricing and overuse of proprietary components but it's really the only small computer with a "real" processor (Core Solo and Core 2 Solo for the latest). The Fujitsu uses the same A110 processor as the Samsung. I don't like the keyobard on the sony however, try one out and you'll see why. The fujitsu offers a much better keyboard. OTOH, if you're considering the Samsung then I guess that's not too important.

If you don't need a lot of processing power, the fujitsu could be a great machine and they are reasonably priced, Fujitsu routinely has them on sale for $900 USD. I'm not sure about availabilty in Thailand. Sony's are more expensive, but I've seen models with Core Solo 1.33 GHz processor going for around $1300. The latest version that uses the Core 2 solo is stupidly priced, nearly $1000 more than the previous generation. Even the Core Solo would absolutely run circles around the A110 processor though.

I checked out the EEE, but it didn't win me over at all. The price is great but the screen is washed out and low resolution. Interesting but not for me.

For either I would uses XP tablet edition to get the most out of the machines.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions right now, since there's nothing really on the market that catches my eye. Anything that's small and light tends to be stupidly expensive (UMPCs) or crippled (EEEPc).

i guess i am playing the "wait and see approach" :o firefoxx absolutely right.

I agree with Firefoxx. I was thinking about getting a umpc as well in the last couple of days. But I realized it makes no sense. I have 12" macbook and would have to care a bag or backpack anyway if I want to take a umpc with me so for me it makes no difference if I carry a couple of gramms more or not.

I also have a pda with wifi and windows mobile since 1,5 years but realized that I rarely use it and most of the time just for my todo list and other time or task management stuff.

Right now there is still not the single one great device out there that can do it tall. I'm looking forward to the release of the i-mate ultimate 9510 though. That's one awesome little device and probably my next cellphone/pda/gps.

Assess your need for a umpc again is my recommendation. I realized i don't need it.

• 2 months later...

Bumping up this old-ish thread, because i still havent bought a portable pc and because its relevant :D

A while ago i noticed Fujitsu's Lifebook range (in particular the Fujitsu Lifebook U810)..but felt it was overpriced (well for me anyway). But today I noticed the prices have come down a lot (a drop of 10k baht to around around 30k baht.)

I havent looked into them in great detail yet, but again, wonder if anyone has any personal experience of this range of notebooks? I could read specs online till my eyes turn bloodshot but still be left wondering if it can run photoshop etc..(yes i really am that dumb when it comes to interpreting specs..) so if anyone is clued up and can be bothered, please enlighten me?

tnx! :o

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce....do?series=U810

2002195845485178203_rs.jpg

Hi

I was in Fortune this afternoon, there is a new Fujitsu, U1010 model, very neat and vey tiny, but at almost 40.000 bahts...

I bought an Asus eee 4G a few weeks ago, I am very happy with it, I swapped Xandros for XP and it does everything like a regular laptop. Small screen, small keyboard, no hard disk, a bit slow but really portable at less than 1 Kg... And upgradable. You can add more RAM and a decent SD card ( I have a 8 Gb and a 1.8 " 20 Gb hard disk), and there you go...

I would say that most probably you can run Photoshop on it, but do not take my word for it as it is not a program I am familiar with. Both models are available in Panthip Chiangmai, and the prices are similar...

Hopes this help a bit... :o

Cheers

Phil