Running In Chiang Mai

MonkeyNuts

After running the Khon Kaen marathon at the end of January I was thinking of visiting Chiang Mai. I have lived in Thailand for several years but never visited CM.

Could anybody suggest any good areas to go running? Any parks or other ideas?

Also is there any problem with pollution?

Worst case scenario I could always run on a treadmill, are there any good gyms with running equiptment?

Thanks in advance, Monkey Nuts :o

There are a lot of running clubs that run from Huey Tung Tao. The organized (Thai-speaking) clubs usually run in the afternoon but there are a lot of people jogging on their own in the morning. (I also see a large group of farangs on Tuesday mornings jogging out there).

There is an expat guy in the city who sends out an email with a list of local runs in the area too. It would be worth getting on his list.

Couple parks in town you could run around; the main one in the southwest corner inside the moat and another up near the zoo entrance, although you'll be sucking in a fair amount of fumes.

Huay Tung Tao, about 8kms north of the city on the Canal Road, has a 4-6kms sealed running, biking track just off the main road. You could even run around the lake itself which is about 2-3kms around at a guess. There is then a track back from this lake towards the 700 year stadium from the dam at the southwest end of the lake. Also a track up Doi Suthep from just north of the lake and then jog back down the main road going past the temple... a fair yomp.

I've run the running track near the lake a few times and many locals use this. Has a little car park there and is very pleasant so you may want to try this first.

I mainly go out northeast of CM where there are loads of reservoirs and minimal pollution. Just off out there now actually :o

Could go for the Hash if you fancy running with a bunch of piss-heads - not that I've done any of the CM ones.

Loads of gyms with treadmills... just 'search' the site for them. :D

All the best.

The Chiang Mai Hash House Harriers is having a male pub crawl tomorrow. We will start at 6:30pm at the Duke's by the river for some food and then on to a few pubs for an INfamous crawl. Tomorrow is a MALE ONLY hash but every Saturday there is always a mixed hash. PM me for more info. The Men run every other Monday and every other Tuesday. This week it is on Monday. The meet up after the MALE runs is at Foxy Lady, pick up at the hash pub. Saturday mixed hashes (there are 2) meet at the hash pub and also meet at the Fish n' Chip shop across from the UN Irish Pub.

• 1 year later...
There is an expat guy in the city who sends out an email with a list of local runs in the area too. It would be worth getting on his list.

A friend of mine mentioned this same expat gentleman. Does anyone know his name or his email? I'm having a tough time finding out about races and I'd really like to get on his list, if it's still in use.

A friend of mine mentioned this same expat gentleman. Does anyone know his name or his email? I'm having a tough time finding out about races and I'd really like to get on his list, if it's still in use.

Click this to find out about the numerous Hash House Harrier groups in Chiang Mai.