Exit Poll Results Show PPP Wins

george

Yes the military knows how to lay land-mines which continue to function after they have gone. (I shouldn't say GONE, more like taken a temporary spell).

They can leave now knowing that they have fulfilled their budgeting targets for the next few years. Much like an elected politician getting rich while in office just the generals polishing their helmets with arms procurements, telephone eavesdropping equipment, fighter planes, APC's and submarines?

Maybe General S will have to move out of his 3 free houses that the rural poor ar paying for. :o

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PPP certainly does not have an overwhelming mandate.

Not bad considering the shenanigans that went on in their martial law stronghold areas by Junta. Remember this was a party that the junta tried their best to kill, prosecute, slander and obstruct for over a year. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes... Has to make you wonder about Military inteligence...LOL

EC to continue work despite change of government

Mr. Praphan affirmed that all ballots would be tallied and accounted for by today (December 24) and that they would be sent for inspection on Wednesday (December 26). He stated that the issue of penalties must still also be resolved with the national police being tasked with reviewing cases and dealing with the issuance of penalties.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 December 2007

I seem to recall the military junta undertook a major shakeup and reshuffle of the National Police Force while in their "caretaker " role of interim government.

I mean, if you cant trust the cops in Thailand, who can you trust? :o

My Lao Thai nephew in Issarn is one of those poor uneducated rice farmers you speak of. He took out one of your "Toxic loans".

He bought one of those single cylinder diesel farm trucks and made some extra money with it. After only a year he was able to borrow some more and buy a rice husking machine. Now he husks and bags rice for his neighbours and makes a nice little profit. [...] Can you guess who he voted for?

Sums it up brilliantly. I'd too like to take this opportunity to give all junta-apologists & democracy haters formally the finger.

Here's hoping that the military involvement the past year will turn out to have been just a bad dream that's now come to an end, as we witness a new sunrise. As you may have gathered from my posts, I am not the staunchest optimist in the world, but even pessimists can have hope.

As for predictions.. .. . I have a feeling that PPP is willing to negotiate away just about anything if they can form a government and thus bring Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra back in a glorious return. If there was betting on results in this country then I'd put a few quid on neither Samak nor Abhisit becoming PM.. PPP may agree to let someone like Suwit Khunkitti become PM. Note that Mr. Suwit already served as a deputy PM in Dr. Thaksin's cabinet before. I actually met the guy myself and I have no doubt that he'd be a much better PM than Samak.

The upper feudal elite might just be okay with that as well, especially as they keep a firm grip on power through the Senate and other less democratic stuff they managed to get into their constitution. I think that would be rather good for the country, AND the only shot at something resembling 'unity', or at least working towards it.

Edited by SpacemanSpliff

Never mind that the law was changed one day before the deal was done. I mean it wasn't as if there was any conflict of interest at all now was there. I mean why should his children pay any tax since they are children of the prime minister and prime ministers and families shouldn't have to pay tax now should they.

Not sure why everyone is blaming Thaksin alone for selling Shin Corp to Temasek. The deal could only go ahead because SCB agreed to back the deal. Ina deal worth billions of dollars and one involving sellling important assets, the major shareholders of SCB will have given their go ahead for the deal.

The major shareholder in SCB is CPB. And who has final say in everything that the CPB does? . . . someone who cannot be mentioned.

Not everything is as simple as it seems in Thailand.

The Democrats are going to win no matter how many elections it takes.

So true.

Memo to the Generals.

Order a re-run of the General Erection and keep doing so until the Pee Pee Party run out of money. Would enrich the farmers and hopefully enhance their standard of living nicely.

Yes the military knows how to lay land-mines which continue to function after they have gone. (I shouldn't say GONE, more like taken a temporary spell).

They can leave now knowing that they have fulfilled their budgeting targets for the next few years. Much like an elected politician getting rich while in office just the generals polishing their helmets with arms procurements, telephone eavesdropping equipment, fighter planes, APC's and submarines?

Maybe General S will have to move out of his 3 free houses that the rural poor ar paying for. :o

Bigger budget = bigger % to cream off for the military elite.

But those guys deserve a raise for all the hard work they put in defending Thai democracy for 15 months. :D

Sure hope they don't ever have to go to war. Could interfere with their chosen vocation in politics.

Has anyone considered that some of the breakaway TRT politicians may be lured back into the fold of the PPP. Most of them left the TRT because they were in fear of their political careers. There are a million scenarios that can play out over the next while. PPP only has to attract 12-14 MP's to form a numerical majority.

Never mind that the law was changed one day before the deal was done. I mean it wasn't as if there was any conflict of interest at all now was there. I mean why should his children pay any tax since they are children of the prime minister and prime ministers and families shouldn't have to pay tax now should they.

Hey Steffi, get over it. TIT. They have all got their snouts in the trough up to their arm pits!

Only the names change to protect the guilty, depending on who is in control of the Government, the Military, the Police and the Judiciary.

Rooster today and feather duster the next.

Never mind that the law was changed one day before the deal was done. I mean it wasn't as if there was any conflict of interest at all now was there.

Sort of like pushing the ISOC bill and 3o plus others through the NLA right at the buzzer. What's the difference. Both were for gain. If it's not right for the TRT government it's sure not right for a military apointed one. You can't have it both ways.

Has anyone considered that some of the breakaway TRT politicians may be lured back into the fold of the PPP. Most of them left the TRT because they were in fear of their political careers. There are a million scenarios that can play out over the next while. PPP only has to attract 12-14 MP's to form a numerical majority.

Could be a possibility. I bet the negotiations are going on as we speak. Interesting.

Could be a possibility. I bet the negotiations are going on as we speak. Interesting.

Samak just canceled a meeting with the smaller parties that was to take place at 10:00am. So something is going on... :o

Some excellent posts here from folks who are much more erudite than me.

I spoke to a farang colleague yesterday. His wife, Thai, had just been given 500b by a man near the polling station. Obvious why. Just how much of this vote-buying occurs? If you are buying 3 million votes, how much is that? Does Toxic send the money over? He must be very rich indeed. Will some people be persuaded to grass by giving them 600b now?

Another point made was that if Thailand becomes a first-world democracy, maids will not work all day for 100b. This will also mean that girls (and boys) will not need to sell their bodies to eat and support the buffalo..and it also means that prices (of beer, food, sex, everything) will go up. The outcome for good-time farangs will be less honey more money. If you are a good ole farang down in Cowboy then you should ensure that the poor stay poor however you can. Buy some votes yourself, invest in your future. Pay those gals 500b to vote how YOU want.

When herself returned last evening I asked if she had voted. Yep, she did her duty.

I then asked who she voted for. Numbers 1, 2 and 3.

Which political party did they represent? Don't know.

What were your selected candidates names? Don't know.

Were you offered money? No. Cheap Charlies.

Why am I thinking that you get the Government that you deserve?

P.S. Does anybody else think that Samak's facial features show he is no stranger to the trough?

There is some satisfaction in that the people have told the military to shove their coup where the sun doesn't shine. Thaksin was certainly corrupt but what about the rest of the high powered politicians? Many of them make Thaksin look absolutely moral and honest. Unfortunately the good ole boys are back in the saddle. A new broom sweeps clean but there is NO new broom.

EC to work with Metropol Police in investigating electoral fraud cases

Secretary-General of the Election Commission (EC) Sutthipol Thaweechaikarn (สุทธิพล ทวีชัยการ) discloses that EC will cooperate with the Metropolitan Police Bureau in investigating electoral fraud cases. He adds that EC will expedite investigations into complaints it received before the general election.

The secretary-general also affirms the election results will be officially announced within seven days after the election. EC is now waiting for the election results of each province before calculating the number of party-list MPs, he says.

Mr Sutthipol says EC provincial officials can set up committees without approval by the central EC in order to inspect electoral fraud complaints.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 December 2007

All the serious stuff has ended for the day - there is some discussion about how, even if Chart Thai and Puea Pandin go with the Democrats, the PPP can still form a coalition with all the other small parties. But I think that's mostly chasing the lack of other news...

... but hold on, Banharn is now on TV with Vatana Asavahame...

This is going to go on for days without conclusion. Wait for people to start to state that PPP didnt get anywhere near half of the popular vote

Well of course... They didn't... You seem to find this really hard to understand?

They didn't get anywhere near half of the vote, what they did get was near half of the seats. (BIG difference)

It's a wait-and-see if fight goes to the streets

Division has emerged in the anti-Thaksin Shinawatra People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD). Three prominent members expressed reservations about protests against the People Power Party, if it forms the next government.

PAD leaders Pipop Thongchai and Suriyasai Katasila earlier threatened mass demonstrations if People Power won the government benches, and grant amnesty to 111 former Thai Rak Thai executives as well as dismiss corruption allegations against Thaksin.

"We will first have to see the situation. The PAD shouldn't start holding protests," said Rosana Tositrakul, an alliance member vocal in her past denunciations of Thaksin.

"We don't need to protest all the time. It might be good Thaksin returns so he can appear in court," said Rosana.

People Power leader Samak Sundaravej insists Thaksin will return home and former Thai Rak Thai executives will have their electoral bans lifted.

Rosana said if the People Power Party formed the next administration, it should be mindful the legislative and judicial branches of the government trump the executive.

PAD member and consumer-rights campaigner Salee Ongsomwang - who has lately opposed the junta - said she would not attend alliance protests, at least not to start with.

"Politics is not just about [Thaksin and Thai Rak Thai]. If it's just about that, then there won't be political progress," she said. She will wait to see how People Power does in government.

"If People Power wins, we must accept it's the people's decision and that they still like Thai Rak Thai," she said.

People Power is recognised as the new Thai Rak Thai which was dissolved.

"But, no matter who wins, we will have to scrutinise it. At least more scrutiny will be possible with People Power than with the military-appointed regime."

Nevertheless, she said protests were a democratic right of any citizen.

But an alliance member and businesswoman who asked not to be identified was ready to oppose a People Power government.

"If People Power form a government and engage in illegitimate policy, not

to mention whether the votes it got were won legitimately, then I believe those who love justice will rise up and oppose it. And it doesn't even need to be the PAD."

She said if the banned Thai Rak Thai executives received amnesty and the Thaksin corruption cases were swept under the carpet, political "unrest" was a real possibility.

"It could spark violence. The People Power regime itself isn't much of a problem compared with the possibility of it clearing the 111 executives and whitewashing Thaksin. I will be sad if People Power forms the next government. It suggests Thailand isn't ready to become a democracy," she insisted.

Meanwhile, Sirichai Mai-ngam, a labour union leader who is also a key figure in the PAD, voiced disapproval that threats were made against about a PPP government without consulation with other PAD leaders.

"They shouldn't have spoken for other PAD leaders," he said.

Sirichai said, however, he disagreed to giving amnesty to the 111 banned former Thai Rak Thai executives or showing leniency to Thaksin in his corruption cases. He would join a protest against such moves.

Source: The Nation - 24 December 2007

Imagine, there is a school, they told their employees to vote for PPP, otherwise the kids would get free education and there wouldn't be enough money for acceptable sallaries for teachers and employees. So the whole school ticked PPP...

Happened in the North? I can't believe! ;-)

Thaksin loyalists to approach two smaller parties to form coalition government

Thailand’s People Power Party (PPP) which came first in Sunday’s general election, but still short of an absolute majority in becoming a single-party government will approach two smaller parties to form a coalition government, a PPP spokesman said Monday.

Spokesman Kuthep Saikrajang said although final election results had not been officially announced, senior PPP executives would confer with Chart Thai (Thai Nation) Party and Puea Pandin Party in forming a coalition government.

He said he believed Banharn Silpa-archa, leader of Chart Thai (Thai Nation) Party and former prime minister, and is acquaintance with Samak Sundaravej, PPP leader, could agree on joining and form a coalition government to solve problems prevailing in Thailand.

There are now two major problems – an issuance of yellow and red cards to disqualify winning election candidates – which could obstruct a formation of coalition government , said Mr. Kuthep, adding that PPP party had followed election laws strictly and that his party had no worries about violating the laws.

Meanwhile, Mr. Banharn who had gone into hiding from the press since Sunday afternoon turned up at the residence of Vatana Asavahem, a leading member of Puea Pandin Party, late Sunday night in what was seen as an attempt to join with any of the two major parties – PPP and the Democrat Party – in forming a coalition government, expected within 30 days from now.

Unofficial election results released by the Election Commission showed that the PPP has won 228 seats nationwide out of the total 480 seats while the Democrat Party, Thailand’s oldest political party, collected 166 seats.

Suriyasai Katasila, secretary-general of Campaign for Popular Democracy, said he believed an agreement between the Chart Thai and Puea Pandin parties could be interpreted as an attempt to isolate the PPP because Mr. Banharn had said earlier that his party would not join the PPP, a proxy of disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party which was founded by deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra, in the new government.

Source: TNA - 24 December 2007

Imagine, there is a school, they told their employees to vote for PPP, otherwise the kids would get free education and there wouldn't be enough money for acceptable sallaries for teachers and employees. So the whole school ticked PPP...

Happened in the North? I can't believe! ;-)

Like everywhere in the world , people vote for their own interests ,

not strange though !

Thailand's Generals Get a Slap in the Face

Daniel Ten Kate

24 December 2007

Source Asia Sentinel Website

A strong victory for Thaksin loyalists in parliamentary elections could open the door for a deal between leaders of the 2006 coup and the deposed premier

In the first election since the army seized power by force in September 2006, Thais in the country’s poor northeast region used ballots to strike back, propelling a party aligned with deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra to a strong victory.

Preliminary results showed the People Power Party, former by members of Thaksin’s Thai Rak Thai party after a military-appointed court dissolved it last May, won 224 seats in the 480-seat legislature, better than previous expectations and just 17 seats short of an outright majority.

The main opposition Democrat party came in a strong second with a higher-than-expected 166 seats. Smaller parties performed poorly, with Chat Thai winning 42 seats, Pua Paendin 25 seats, Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana 11 seats, Matchimathippitai seven seats and Pracharaj five seats.

The Election Commission will take up to 30 days to certify the results, but its chairman said the official results could be known by early January. Many analysts are expecting the commission to disqualify a certain number of candidates, which could slightly change the outcome.

All eyes will now turn to post-election horse trading. The PPP has vowed to form a coalition government headed by its chairman Samak Sundaravej, an outspoken critic of ... Prem Tinsulanonda, the former army chief and prime minister who leads the king’s advisory council. The military and Prem were reportedly hoping that the Democrats could head an anti-PPP coalition government, but that could now prove difficult.

“Of course I will be prime minister,” Samak said at a press conference on Sunday night after most of the votes were counted. “We received nearly half of the votes. It’s normal all around the world for the leader of the party that wins the most votes to be prime minister.”

Reports surfaced Sunday night <subsequently denied> that Prem summoned Chat Thai leader Banharn Silpa-Archa and Pua Paendin chief Suvit Khunkitti to his house to discuss the results. Late Sunday night, Banharn said Chat Thai and Pua Paendin had still not decided whether they would join a PPP-led coalition government.

Pua Paendin, a party supported by Prem and the military, performed poorly. Suvit appeared unlikely to be elected in his constituency, complicating proposals to have him step in as a compromise choice for prime minister.

The election results show that Thaksin’s support remains solid in the country’s heavily populated northeast region, which benefited greatly from his government’s policies of cheap health care, village loans and agricultural price support. PPP won 96 seats in the region, or 71%, with Thai Rak Thai offshoots taking most of the rest.

The Democrats won only six seats in the northeast, but won 49, or about 88% of the vote, in its traditional southern stronghold. The country’s oldest political party also won 27 of 36 seats in Bangkok, but PPP suspected some irregularities and vowed to investigate.

“The outcome from the exit polls [in Bangkok] is different from the actual outcome,” Samak told reporters. “It’s a little bit strange.”

The Democrats have made significant gains since getting pummelled by Thai Rak Thai in 2005, but overall Thaksin’s support remains solid. Two years ago, Thai Rak Thai won a record 18.9 million votes, or 64% of the vote with a turnout of 72%.

In the boycotted April 2006 election, Thai Rak Thai still won 16.4 million votes, or 61% of the total vote with a turnout of 65%. This time around, with turnout at about 70%, PPP won 13.2 million votes. But when combined with splinter parties loosely allied with Thaksin that number jumps to about 16.4 million, or half of the 32.2 million votes cast.

“The PPP government, if it does get formed, won’t be as strong as the Thai Rak Thai government,” said Giles Ungpakorn, a political science lecturer at Chulalongkorn University. “The new measures in the constitution and the security bill are likely to make it a weaker government. Things are in flux. We have to wait and see how the two sides, the junta and the PPP, react. Will they compromise or engage in further confrontation?”

Although popular with the rural masses, Thaksin was arguably the most polarizing prime minister in Thai history. He neutered independent agencies and arrogantly sought to intimidate the media, particularly through multi-million baht libel lawsuits.

When he called a snap election in February 2006 to silence criticism of his family’s $2 billion tax-free sale of Shin Corp to Singapore’s Temasek Holdings, he knew he would win. The Democrat party knew it would lose and boycotted the election, ostensibly in the belief that Thaksin would be forced to make constitutional changes that would strengthen the checks and balances and lead to a better democracy.

What happened instead was a prolonged battle between Thaksin and ... {elements in} the bureaucracy, judiciary and military that ended up claiming the liberal 1997 constitution as a casualty and turning back the clock on democratic progress.

... Judges swiftly tossed the former election commissioners in jail under dubious legal circumstances, and a new one was set up to oversee an election in November 2006.

But Thaksin’s enemies knew he would win yet again, and they staged a coup in September 2006 before that could happen. Angered by Thaksin’s abuses, many academics, observers and journalists were optimistic that the coup group would right the perceived wrongs of Thaksin and usher in a more representative democracy.

It didn’t take long before that dream was shattered. The coup group rewrote the constitution to put a straight jacket on politicians and strengthen the power of non-elected judges and appointed senators. In the meantime, it set up a court that dissolved the Thai Rak Thai party and enforced an ex post facto law banning the party’s 111 executives from politics for five years.

The coup leaders used state power for political ends, manipulated the rule of law to suit their needs and kept martial law in place in certain provincial areas up until Election Day. With the interim government’s popularity sinking, the military-appointed legislature waited until a few days before the election before quickly passing 64 laws as a parting gift to anyone who still held illusions that the junta respected democracy.

One of those laws passed at the last minute was the Internal Security Act, which gives the military sweeping powers to detain people, wiretap phones and declare emergency rule. Political parties, editorialists and activists urged the National Legislative Assembly to leave the bill for an elected government to consider, but to no avail.

The junta may have miscalculated by waiting so long after the coup to have the election, as it allowed Thai Rak Thai to regroup under PPP and made rural folks yearn for the days when Thaksin was in power and the economy was stronger.

The junta is banking on the new constitution and other laws it wrote to keep subsequent governments weak and politicians in check. The military leaders repeatedly demonized politicians in the run-up to Sunday’s election. In the face of criticism that the legislature should stop passing laws with an election looming, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said: “An elected assembly sometimes could be dictated to by the policies of political parties. But the present [legislature] cannot be. Its members are very much their own men.”

Given those sentiments, it’s not surprising that the conflict between the junta and Thaksin is more likely to be solved in a backroom that through an election. The political chaos of the past year has taken an economic toll on the country, with private investment dropping considerably and the economy overall not living up to its potential.

“In fact, Thaksin and [coup leader] Sonthi [boonyaratglin] talk together all the time, trying to resolve these problems,” claimed a Thaksin aide, speaking on condition of anonymity. “They know the conflict hurts everyone, so they are talking together to set up a story to make Thailand have a political soft landing. This is the real game; the election is a low-level game.”

“The most difficult part is coming up with something they can tell the public,” the aide added. “They need a good story to tell people so that Thaksin can come back and everyone can be assured that everything is still in the legal process.”

Observers say the signs are encouraging. Thaksin and the PPP have faith that the new army commander, Anupong Paochinda, will reposition the military to be more neutral and stay out of politics. Samak said as much in his press conference, calling him a “good guy” who vowed never to stage a coup.

Part of a deal for Thaksin’s return, the aide said, would be to dissolve a special investigation into the former premier’s business dealings and move those cases to a normal prosecutor. Most charges could then fade away, he said, but a few would be kept to punish Thaksin and keep the public happy.

Although Thaksin has spent the bulk of the past 15 months in London and Hong Kong, his influence is pervasive. His purchase of the Manchester City Football Club has ensured he stays in the headlines, and his deep pockets endear him to Thai lawmakers.

“I don’t think Thaksin needs to be prime minister; he’s beyond that now but he still likes to control the game,” the aide said. “He still wants to have influence in both the political and economic sphere. Remember he still needs to get his money back.”

Any deal would also have to ensure that neither Thaksin nor the PPP retaliate against the military. The party has said it won’t do so, but it’s unclear if the generals would trust them.

“The military is not quite sure that Thaksin would commit to what they agree to,” the aide said. “Nobody can guarantee anything.”

Many expect the next government’s tenure to be short. The PPP will try to put Samak up as prime minister, but if that triggers a public backlash the party may offer the top spot to a coalition partner. They could align with every party except the Democrats. In a testimony to the fickle nature of Thai politics, the group seems certain to link up with Matchimathippitai, which is led by key anti-Thaksin financier Prachai Leophairatana, who was not elected.

If the Prem-linked Pua Paendin joins the coalition it may signal a détente. Chat Thai may also join. Both parties saw their bargaining positions weaken considerably with the poorer-than-expected results.

As for the state of Thai democracy, the next year could represent a collective step forward or simply more of the same. Certainly it would be hard for the military to justify another coup based on high-minded principles of democracy, particularly after the debacle of the past year.

Some analysts believe this election may finally persuade the elites that supported the coup to accept the reality of a changed political landscape. But that process won’t be easy.

“I think what we’re seeing over these past couple of years is that the Thai elite has become disillusioned with democracy because Thaksin opened up the possibility that the poor can have some say in politics, and they don’t like that,” said Giles from Chulalongkorn University. “To develop democracy, civil society will have to push against the Thai elite. It’s going to take some time to educate the elites about the benefits of democracy.”

LINK

Note ... edits to endeavour to keep within board guidelines. If other edits are deemed necessary I'm sure they will be highlighted

Edit to add link to source website in header

Edited by A_Traveller

My wife just informed me that after speaking with her sister back in her village (near Pimai, Isaan) she was told that the entire village was paid 200 baht per person for their vote.

She did not ask her sister which party was responsible......I will find out tomorrow, and post here.

Her sister did remark that people took the cash....then went ahead and voted for who they wanted....and were not swayed.

I remember my father years ago saying that although minority Governments are weak, they can often be quite effective in passing laws best for the country. His reasoning was that when an absolute majority is in place (like Thaksin had), there is no check-and-balance. They can do whatever they want (e.g. good for them and their cronies, but not necessarily good for the country - a.k.a. Thaksin to a tee). Whereas a minority Government needs to meet the demands of the many - not the few.

In other words a minority Govt could be staggering mess waiting to collapse, or it could get on with things for a couple of years and pass reasonable legislation. As long as it's in the interests of the coalition - and the people of the country - the opposition has a hard time fiunding a reason that the public will accept to bring down the legislature.

We'll see I guess..unless darker hands move before that - let's hope not.

In 2005 TRT got nearly 80% of the votes, in 2007 only half of that. That's a big big loss.

The vote wasn't about PPP vs Democrats or PPP vs Chat Thai. It was PPP against everyone else, and they clearly lost, just like they lost the consitution vote earlier this year.

No other party cares about Thaksin, if you look at this vote as a referendum on his legacy - people told him to shove it and voted for someone else instead.

It's time to let go of that dead horse and move on - majority of people don't want Thaksin anymore.

After Chat Thai and Pua Paendin refused to join PPP, Samak needs at least two other small parties to form the government, same as the current Democrat led coalition. The problem for PPP is that all those small parties are on the other side of the huge ideological gap, the gap PPP has created itself. They are pro-coup/anti-Thaksin, if PPP invites them, it will have to make major concessions and tone down or even abandon its "return Thaksin" winning policy.

There are ways to get around this but those small parties can join Democrats and get into the government without any hassle and backroom deals and risk of alienating their supporters.

If you look at national politics/proportional vote results, PPP's loss is even more dramatic - they've got only slightly over 30% - almost 70% voted against them, so much for "vote PPP get Thaksin" slogan.

The battle isn't over, but Abhisit has all the cards he needs to form the government, what does Samak have? Certainly not the electorate endorsement to return Thaksin at any cost.

There was a semblence of democracy on Sunday. I commend the coup leaders and others for doing at least that much. We all knew it would be messy process at best (with pay-offs, bloated promises, etc) but the Thai people did vote. For most voters, it will be back to biz as usual: making the best of a unfair situations where the rich get richer and burnish their holdings, while the poor struggle from day to day to eke out a living.

Most things in Thailand will remain the same: kids will continue to get indoctrinated toward insatiable consumerism, parents (and kids) will continue to drink fermented sugar until they fall down - or crash in to something, Taksin and his ilk will continue to be untouchable.

Meeting to form a government cancelled

BANGKOK: -- A meeting to be hosted by election winner; People Power Party, with smaller parties, to form a government is cancelled on Monday.

A source told reporters on Sunday that PPP leader Samak Sundaravej would meet smaller parties at a Bangkok hotel at 10am to discuss formation of coalition government.

However Samak is still at home at 10.30am Monday.

A hotel staff said in a telephone interview that the party already cancelled a room booking this morning.

--The Nation 2007-12-24

Her sister did remark that people took the cash....then went ahead and voted for who they wanted....and were not swayed.

This is often the case and it's often the case that they take the money from more than one party. I know it's hard to believe but it's not only the TRT/PPP that buy votes. Maybe the decrease in seats for PPP and the sharp increase in votes for the Democrats has some bearing on the vote buying scheme adopted in this election by the two parties. After all the Democrats platform was just a reworked TRT one...LOL

Samak calm, Abhisit gets jitters

The premier in waiting sticks to his usual daily routine and strolls almost nonchalantly to victory

BANGKOK: -- To People Power supporters, party leader Samak Sundaravej is a saint who will return their beloved former leader and free 111 banned former Thai Rak Thai politicians from the electoral wilderness.

To his opponents, he is a merely a proxy for ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

To the non-partisan, the veteran politician is known for his sharp tongue and culinary skills.

Yesterday was the 72-year-old politician's big day, even more significant than the 2000 Bangkok gubernatorial election, which he won in a landslide.

Although he did not have the chance to show off his sharp-tongued nature, Samak did show off his culinary side by ordering a lot of food.

The party leader got up at 5am, starting his day auspiciously, and gave alms to 10 monks from Bang Chan Temple.

Accompanied by his wife, Khunying Surat, Samak left home at 10.15am in a Toyota van and stopped by Rajawat market to buy some fruit.

Samak appeared in his uniform - regular grey safari shirt. He followed routine by buying food.

He is known as a good cook but on a day like this he had no time to cook himself. However, it took almost five hours along Bangkok streets for him to select his dishes.

From the market, he stopped for lunch at Kalong Restaurant on Sri Ayutthaya Road. He appeared in a good mood, speaking with reporters following him.

His menu included two curries, a salad, fried chicken, omelette, barbecued prawns, boiled blood cockle and palmyra fruit in syrup.

After finishing his lunch, he went to Phra Pradaeng district of Samut Prakan, where he wanted to buy kanom mor kaeng, or custard pudding, from a shop famous for it. He was out of luck.

He spent time talking to the shop owner before heading to party headquarters on Phetchaburi Road, arriving at 3.20pm, taking in Rama III and then Asoke and Sukhumvit roads.

His van entered the headquarters from the rear in an attempt to avoid reporters. He parked on the fourth-floor parking building, but Samak could not escape the journalists.

They wanted to get his reaction on his victory, as declared by exit polls. He refused to answer and told reporters to wait for a news conference at 8.30pm. He was relaxed and smiled and laughed before excusing himself.

Samak did give an exclusive interview to CNN and said if he became prime minister, he would seek amnesty for the 111 former Thai Rak Thai executives.

He told CNN that February 14 would be a good day for Thaksin to return to Thailand.

He said nothing until he appeared again at 8.45pm when he made his way to the jammed news conference.

Samak, seated with party secretary-general Surapong Suebwonglee, thanked all for waiting. He asked Surapong to reveal the unofficial election results.

He then thanked the voters before inviting any other party to join a People Power coalition.

-- The Nation 2007-12-24

------------------------------

Abhisit tense on his big day, snaps at media over early exit poll finding, thanks staff at his re-designed office

BANGKOK: -- Yesterday was judgement day for Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, a day that decided whether he would realise his ambition of becoming the next prime minister of Thailand.

Yet Abhisit chose to keep a low profile in the first half of the day. After voting with his with wife at a polling station on Sukhumvit Soi 31 in the morning,

Abhisit returned home and only joined other party leaders watching the ballot results at the Democrat Party headquarters at 1.45pm.

For a man widely tipped to become the next premier, Abhisit's behaviour was somewhat subdued compared to, say, deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who went straight to a Starbucks at an upscale shopping mall with his family after voting in 2005. Media-savvy Thaksin knew the setting would make a great news picture.

However, Abhisit was in a different situation. He realised long before yesterday that the Democrats would not get the most votes and that whether his party could form the next government depended on the margin by which it lost to the People Power Party.

Faced with this situation, Abhisit lost his cool when a Channel 3 reporter asked for his reaction shortly after voting closed to a Suan Dusit Poll exit poll that suggested People Power would win 257 seats. Instead of answering the question, Abhisit retorted by questioning the credibility of the poll, saying: "I learned about this exit poll result last night [before votes were cast]."

The live interview with Abhisit was cut short and the Democrats later got party secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban to limit any damage. Suthep said the party would prefer to wait to see whether People Power would gain more than half of the seats in the final result before deciding whether it should form the government.

Abhisit later postponed a scheduled press conference from 7.30pm till 9pm in a bid to wait until after People Power leader Samak Sundaravej had spoken to the media, at 8.30pm.

Samak announced that he was ready to form a coalition based on their 230 or so seats.

In contrast to their leader, the mood of Democrat supporters at the party headquarters was upbeat from early in the day, with the crowd growing bigger as the day went by. About 100 supporters were clustered to watch the counting results live on big LCD screens placed in front of the headquarters.

Whenever an update showed the Democrats leading People Power, the crowd would stand and cheer. Some of them booed and jeered whenever the news said People Power was ahead.

Before going to the party headquarters in the Kuang Aphayawong Building, where his office is on the second floor, Abhisit asked his driver to stop at the MR Seni Pramoj 100th Anniversary building in the same compound, where the interior decoration was recently adjusted according to feng shui beliefs.

Abhisit said he stopped at the building to thank party staff members working there.

Abhisit walked to the party headquarters amid cheers and shouts of "No 4! No 4!", the Democrats' party-list ballot number.

Abhisit then went up to his office, which had been moved the previous night to a bigger room with more windows through which he could see a small garden outside

Democrat Party director Pussadee Tamthai said she had changed Abhisit's office because a group of well-wishers offered to help correct the inauspicious layout and arrange a space according to feng shui beliefs.

She said the desk in Abhisit's previous office was located on the leeward side of the wind and close to the bathroom.

However, she was a Christian and knew nothing about feng shui, she said.

Abhisit said he was not aware of the plan to change his office.

The area around the statue of the Mother of the Earth, the symbol of the Democrat Party, in the building compound was also recently retiled to prepare for the election date.

However, the redecoration did not seem to have helped much, as Samak announced last night that People Power would form the new government.

-- The Nation 2007-12-24