Iphone Purchase

Dissolution

Thanks for the great replies, fellas.

I do actually live in Bangkok, so 3G is a non-issue. I'm upgrading from a SE w800i I've been using for years, and I only had 512mb of space, so 8GB is a huge improvement. Inability to take videos isn't much of a problem since in the years I've had this thing (got it the day it was released), I've taken all of 1 video. I've never sent an MMS in my life, so that isn't a problem either.

Not being able to send an SMS to multiple recipents could be a pain, but I think Damian said that can be done with a homebrew?

Guess I'm set on buying one then; the only issue left is whether to get one now, or to wait until next year when supposedly legally unlocked iPhones will be released.

Any advice on that?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iphone syncs with Itunes, Iphoto etc. Dead easy you wont have a problem.

go on then, pretend your talking to an idiot, in fact dont pretend,

just do a quick do this then sit ya phone in ya cradle etc for us cant do it!

chris

I'll give you a few more steps Funfun,

1. go to google and search for itunes

2. install itunes 7.4.2.4, if you want search google for "itunes 7.4.2.4 download"

3. once its installed connet your iphone to your computer

4. you connect using the usb cable that came with your phone, one end in phone, the other in a usb socket in the front or back of your pc

5. it will open itunes automatically if it isnt open already

6. make sure when it asks if you want to restore or upgrade your iphone you click NO, and when you connect in the future never click the restore and update buttons

7. it will ask you what you want to sync, make sure you are syncing contacts, calendars etc. and music, videos

8. After that it should always sync everything when you connect your iphone to your computer if you click and enable "automatically sync when iphone is connected"

Now... music, pics and videos is a little more complicated.

PICS

1. Make a folder with the pics you want to transfer to your iphone, label it "Iphone pics" or "Funfun naked" or whatever

2. In that folder make other folders if you want to seperate your nud_e photos from pics of your girlfriends/boyfriends and pics of your grandmother

3. Put the appropriate pics in the appropriate folder

4. In itunes click on your iphone on the left, then click on photos tab at the top

5. Click on the option for syncing "selected folders" and at some point during all this it will ask you to browse to the folder, go in using their browsing feature to pick the folder you made that contains all your pics you want to put on your iphone

MUSIC

1. At the bottom of itunes there is a plus symbol, click that to make a new playlist, type in the name of the band or album you want to add to your iphone

2. clik on the list

3. Drag the music for that list from wherever you keep it on your computer to itunes and drop it there in the middle of the screen

4. Now you have all the songs for that band or group of music (like if you made a hiphop list and dumpled all your hiphop songs there)

5. you do this for all the bands or groups of music you want to make, just keep clicking the plus sign to make new lists

6. clik your iphone icon on the left

7. click the music tab at the top

8 clik sync selected playlists and clik all the playlists you just made

9. that's it (if you want to learn how to add album artwork to your music lists you will have to search google for "adding art to itunes") it is more complicated and I'm not going to try to teach you here heh

VIDEO

1. There should be a "Video" playlist in your playlists on the left of itunes

2. drag videos you want there

3. once you have a video in that playlist, clik on it

4. right clik it and clik "convert selection for ipod"

5. clik on your iphone on the left

6. clik on the video tab at the top

7. in the "movies" section clik on the new video you added and converted

8. click sync if it doesnt do it automatically

I do actually live in Bangkok, so 3G is a non-issue. I'm upgrading from a SE w800i I've been using for years, and I only had 512mb of space, so 8GB is a huge improvement. Inability to take videos isn't much of a problem since in the years I've had this thing (got it the day it was released), I've taken all of 1 video. I've never sent an MMS in my life, so that isn't a problem either.

Not being able to send an SMS to multiple recipents could be a pain, but I think Damian said that can be done with a homebrew?

Guess I'm set on buying one then; the only issue left is whether to get one now, or to wait until next year when supposedly legally unlocked iPhones will be released.

Any advice on that?

SEE! All the red and capitals and stuff still gets missed haha. Dissolution, even though you dont use video or mms, BOTH those can now be done on the iphone with the installed programs that take 30 seconds to install with the click of a couple of buttons. However the video is beta and is still in development, but with the beta program you can do 5 seconds of video that it immediately replays for you, just to demonstrate it can be done and they are working on it, should be very soon before full video options are available. MMS is fully operational. And yes like I said sms forwarding and multiple recipients is fully operational now too.

I think alot of people are wary of these features because of the feared term "3rd party"? Really this is all very simple and SAFE, when you unlock your phone for use in Thailand (or MBK has already done it to all the phones they sell here) it comes with an installer program on the homescreen of your phone, you click that installer icon (after you connect to the internet via wifi or gprs/edge) and it takes you to a page of program names you can add to your phone divided by category. You browse the programs and read the info page to see if you want it and if you do you clik "install", it then installs it for a few seconds and you are done! Nothing to fear and not complicated at all.

Half these programs are silly and fun with alot of games mixed in, but the other half are fantastic additions to your phone that you cannot live without and make the iphone complete. Like MMS, sms to multiple recipients, web search program that lets you search on ebay and other sites all from one page, upcoming video recording, direct link to youtube search that comes on unlocked phones, voice notes, "services" that allows you to turn off wifi, bluetooth and edge whenever you want, file folder manipulation programs... it goes on and on and there are new programs added DAILY. There will always be programmers working to make the iphone better and better for FREE and that makes it an interesting and exciting phone to have, one that is constantly getting upgraded.

I wouldnt wait, but whatever you want to do.

Damian

chris

2. install itunes 7.4.2.4, if you want search google for "itunes 7.4.2.4 download"

4. you connect using the usb cable that came with your phone, one end in phone, the other in a usb socket in the front or back of your pc

6. make sure when it asks if you want to restore or upgrade your iphone you click NO, and when you connect in the future never click the restore and update buttons

7. it will ask you what you want to sync, make sure you are syncing contacts, calendars etc. and music, videos

8. After that it should always sync everything when you connect your iphone to your computer if you click and enable "automatically sync when iphone is connected"

PICS

1. Make a folder with the pics you want to transfer to your iphone, label it "Iphone pics" or "Funfun naked" or whatever

2. In that folder make other folders if you want to seperate your nud_e photos from pics of your girlfriends/boyfriends and pics of your grandmother

4. In itunes click on your iphone on the left, then click on photos tab at the top

5. Click on the option for syncing "selected folders" and at some point during all this it will ask you to browse to the folder, go in using their browsing feature to pick the folder you made that contains all your pics you want to put on your iphone

MUSIC

1. At the bottom of itunes there is a plus symbol, click that to make a new playlist, type in the name of the band or album you want to add to your iphone

2. clik on the list

3. Drag the music for that list from wherever you keep it on your computer to itunes and drop it there in the middle of the screen

4. Now you have all the songs for that band or group of music (like if you made a hiphop list and dumpled all your hiphop songs there)

5. you do this for all the bands or groups of music you want to make, just keep clicking the plus sign to make new lists

9. that's it (if you want to learn how to add album artwork to your music lists you will have to search google for "adding art to itunes") it is more complicated and I'm not going to try to teach you here heh

VIDEO

Any advice on that?

SEE! All the red and capitals and stuff still gets missed haha. Dissolution, even though you dont use video or mms, BOTH those can now be done on the iphone with the installed programs that take 30 seconds to install with the click of a couple of buttons. However the video is beta and is still in development, but with the beta program you can do 5 seconds of video that it immediately replays for you, just to demonstrate it can be done and they are working on it, should be very soon before full video options are available. MMS is fully operational. And yes like I said sms forwarding and multiple recipients is fully operational now too.

I think alot of people are wary of these features because of the feared term "3rd party"? Really this is all very simple and SAFE, when you unlock your phone for use in Thailand (or MBK has already done it to all the phones they sell here) it comes with an installer program on the homescreen of your phone, you click that installer icon (after you connect to the internet via wifi or gprs/edge) and it takes you to a page of program names you can add to your phone divided by category. You browse the programs and read the info page to see if you want it and if you do you clik "install", it then installs it for a few seconds and you are done! Nothing to fear and not complicated at all.

Half these programs are silly and fun with alot of games mixed in, but the other half are fantastic additions to your phone that you cannot live without and make the iphone complete. Like MMS, sms to multiple recipients, web search program that lets you search on ebay and other sites all from one page, upcoming video recording, direct link to youtube search that comes on unlocked phones, voice notes, "services" that allows you to turn off wifi, bluetooth and edge whenever you want, file folder manipulation programs... it goes on and on and there are new programs added DAILY. There will always be programmers working to make the iphone better and better for FREE and that makes it an interesting and exciting phone to have, one that is constantly getting upgraded.

Damian

Damnit, you almost sold it to me...

But I need the 3G thing, so I'll wait for that. But now I cant wait to get hold of one (my wife will kill me if I buy one now, and then buy a new one once the 3G comes out)....

But wait a sec...hmmm....if I give HEr the old non 3G and then get the 3G version? hmmmm :D

Ok....where outside Bangkok can I get one!

:o:D

Ack, I'd like to retract my earlier statement about fully functional mms, it isn't full yet.... you can send mms but not receive YET, it's just a matter of time until they fix that too but just wanted to correct my mistake.

Gimbo... omg that was what I was planning with my girlfriend! I'll get the new one and give her to old one heh.

Damian

If you want to waste that kind of money it would be better spent if you give it to a charity. There are far more functional phones around for half the price. Why support Apple when their products are merely pretty garbage. Unless, of course, image means more to you.

Wow, nice, you didnt even read this thread did you? I'm thinking it's so sad that iphone is made by apple, people that hate apple just want to hate the phone because of the connection. I love windows mobile, but all that is a thing of the past now that I've used the iphone (until of course... they make a windows based phone that is as good as the iphone.. then I'll probably use that!), I can't imagine letting prejudice dictate to me what electronics devices I use...... Iphone is half IPOD and people will buy it for that use too (not simply the phone features, if you dont want an ipod why would you get the iphone?), name me one phone that can compete with the ipod functions of the iphone..... none.

Damian

chris

PICS

MUSIC

2. clik on the list

VIDEO

Any advice on that?

Damian

What a reply thanks, im gonna have to delay it though as i tried doing what you said got to about line 4 and up comes cannot havent got somthing like pack 2 or later, so i went on drink instead!

god they are annoying these computors!

chris

again thanks for that

One last thing; I'm assuming these things wouldn't work with the top-up card type sims, right? I'd need to get a permanent line to have access to GPRS/internet/WiFi? (No idea how to do that.)

Is it still prohibitively expensive? How much does the bill come to on average, a month?

I don't see why they wouldnt work with the top up cards, once it's unlocked it should work for all sims. But you pay more with the top up cards, cheaper to get on a plan. I pay less than 1000 baht a month with ais, I have the 500 baht minimum package with the 200 baht for 200 sms and 50 baht for something like 30 hours of internet a month... you can alter the package to give more hours or whatever. But I dont make long calls on the phone (I'm a man, talking is for chicks... unless it's business) so this package is great for me.

Wifi by the way has nothing to do with your phone functions and you can actually access wifi without even having a connection for the phone part. For example, if you have a locked phone that cant be used in this country as a phone, you can still access internet using wifi (this requires jailbreaking so you can use the ipod functions and wifi and calendar etc... unlocking is the term used for opening the phone for use with any sim card, you need to jailbreak it to even use the normal non phone functions - mbk sells them all ready to go).

FUNFUN, ya man...... you need a computer that isnt ancient and is relatively up to date with something other than windows 95 haha......

Damian

The Iphone works fine on top-up cards i'm using mine on DTAC no problems rarely top up more than 400bt a month! Most people ring me, if I wanna call over seas I use the computer (can't wait for VOIP on the Iphone, that'll be the breakthrough!) and texts are dirt cheap. I have my Edge switched off most of the time because I'm nearly always around Wi-Fi but that could add up. You can even get a Edge/GPRS package on top up through DTAC but I don't bother.

Funfun you need windows XP (SP2) and Itunes 7 to connect your Iphone to your PC. I think your problem is you need service pack 2 for XP. Google it, many ways to get hold of it. PM me if you need help.

So... the WiFi will work if I'm at any of those free WiFi places?

And, can I run all this from Vista Ultimate?

So excited! Gonna go grab me one as soon as I can free up some time to go price-matching.

Ya Wifi on the iphone works at any of the free places and of course at the not free places if you are inclined to buy one of their cards with a password like Starbucks.

Windows Vista should be fine for running itunes, that is all you need to "RUN" from your computer, everything else is run straight from the phone like the installer that gives you new programs.

Anyone unlocked the UK iPhone with the firmware 1.1.2 using a Turbo Sim or something similar????????

I've read about it but havent seen it personally, keep in mind the UK phone with firmware 1.1.2 isnt the problem, its the UK phone (or any phone) with serial number XXX45XXXXX and up meaning the 4th and 5th number in the serial (which is on the back of the sealed box for everyone to see before purchase) making 45 and up (46,47,48 etc..) cannot be unlocked yet, you can still unlock phones with firmware 1.1.2 if they have 44 and lower on the serial number. The firmware isnt the problem, its the different radio that comes on week 45 and up models. I'm just telling you this in so people dont avoid the firmware by accident and lose an opportunity to get an unlocked iphone, just look for the serial number on the back of the box.

Damian

So excited! Gonna go grab me one as soon as I can free up some time to go price-matching.

Ya Wifi on the iphone works at any of the free places and of course at the not free places if you are inclined to buy one of their cards with a password like Starbucks.

Windows Vista should be fine for running itunes, that is all you need to "RUN" from your computer, everything else is run straight from the phone like the installer that gives you new programs.

Anyone unlocked the UK iPhone with the firmware 1.1.2 using a Turbo Sim or something similar????????

I've read about it but havent seen it personally, keep in mind the UK phone with firmware 1.1.2 isnt the problem, its the UK phone (or any phone) with serial number XXX45XXXXX and up meaning the 4th and 5th number in the serial (which is on the back of the sealed box for everyone to see before purchase) making 45 and up (46,47,48 etc..) cannot be unlocked yet, you can still unlock phones with firmware 1.1.2 if they have 44 and lower on the serial number. The firmware isnt the problem, its the different radio that comes on week 45 and up models. I'm just telling you this in so people dont avoid the firmware by accident and lose an opportunity to get an unlocked iphone, just look for the serial number on the back of the box.

Damian

Purchased in the UK Nov 26

Ser # 70743Axxxxxxxxxxxxx

Modem Firmware 04.02.13_G

Version 1.1.2 (3B48b)

When I bought it in the UK I unlocked it to any O2 SIM and I have used it with UK O2 pay as you go here in Thailand but I want to use my AIS SIM and believe I need to wait until Apple either upgrade to 1.1.3 or use a Turbo Sim

Later

Neil

ndwgolf pop your sim card in it should be good to go! If you have unlocked it to run a O2 pay as you go it should except your Thai one. Only problem you may have is the unlock method you used. The good news is you have one of the older models anyway so it can be unlocked :-)

Damian

Purchased in the UK Nov 26

Ser # 70743Axxxxxxxxxxxxx

Modem Firmware 04.02.13_G

Version 1.1.2 (3B48b)

When I bought it in the UK I unlocked it to any O2 SIM and I have used it with UK O2 pay as you go here in Thailand but I want to use my AIS SIM and believe I need to wait until Apple either upgrade to 1.1.3 or use a Turbo Sim

Later

Neil

Ya man, like Miniwai said, it sounds like you are fine, just try the ais sim card, should be ok. If not go online (google) and follow the directions to virginise your phone and reunlock it the standard way so it will work with any simcard. (in case there is some funky way to unlock it specificallyfor uk o2 card) You have a 43rd week model, your phone is usable in Thailand RIGHT NOW.

Damian

Yup apologies from me too. As you know ndwgolf the UK have a unlock that lets you use O2 pay as you go but thats it. Sorry I haven't been keeping up to date with the UK market. Glad I got mine here as I'm go home (UK) around April......

Anyways I saw you on the Mac Rumors forums discussing this subject, and yes it does look like you'll have to wait for 1.1.3 but it should be out in the next week or so................ Hopefully

• 2 weeks later...

Well, gonna go down to MBK on friday and pick one up!

Any recommended shop? I'm a tad paranoid, since hearing of horror stories where the vendors would sell a partially-unlock phone, where you'd have to pay them extra just to unlock it all the way, just so that you can install 3rd party apps... :o

Also, a question on iTunes: Will I be able to use mp3s I already have on my HDD? Or do I have to buy a bunch from the online store? And can I use/create my own ringtones?

A few last questions: Will I be able to convert videos from PC and send them to the phone? What formats does iPhone support? And will I be able to send and read word/text files from it? And last but not least... is the GPS or Maps (?) any good? Also... when do I, if ever, need to update the phone?

And... anyone has any good sites to get apps/etc. from? :D

Thanks lots y'all!

Edited by Dissolution

Well, gonna go down to MBK on friday and pick one up!

Any recommended shop? I'm a tad paranoid, since hearing of horror stories where the vendors would sell a partially-unlock phone, where you'd have to pay them extra just to unlock it all the way, just so that you can install 3rd party apps... :o

Also, a question on iTunes: Will I be able to use mp3s I already have on my HDD? Or do I have to buy a bunch from the online store? And can I use/create my own ringtones?

A few last questions: Will I be able to convert videos from PC and send them to the phone? What formats does iPhone support? And will I be able to send and read word/text files from it? And last but not least... is the GPS or Maps (?) any good? Also... when do I, if ever, need to update the phone?

And... anyone has any good sites to get apps/etc. from? :D

Thanks lots y'all!

Ok they WILL ONLY SELL YOU AN UNLOCKED READY TO USE WITH YOUR SIM PHONE. Meaning do not worry about that, have them slide in your sim card to show you it works fine. It will also be able to use third party apps and have the installer on it ready for use immediately.

Of course you can use your own mp3's! Yikes, ya man, I have 60 gigs of music in mp3 format on my hd and use them any way I want, you do not have to buy anything to put music on your iphone.

Yes you can create your own ringtones

Yes you can put any video on your pc to the iphone AFTER converting it to mp4 format. Itunes will actually convert some types for you, but other types like AVI will need a conversion program, the kind easily downloadable or can buy in a program disk from pantip/fortune etc...

Yes you can put and read text type files on your iphone after installing the appropriate app (like text reader app and pdf reader). The program ibricker is a program for your pc that opens your iphone to put files and make folders etc...

The default maps program on the iphone is AWESOME, but the Thailand maps are all in Thai so far unless there is a setting I missed to make them english? heh There will be a gprs program for maps out as well if not already.

Update the iphone if an update comes out that makes the phone significantly better, if an update comes out that doesnt do anything special dont update. When you do want to update google the how to and it is pretty clear. Unless you are like Funfun..... then pay MBK to do it if that is what you really want, but there is no absolute need to.

APPS: there is no website to install apps, instead there is an icon on your iphone desktop called installer, you connect your phone to the internet (via edge/gprs or wifi) and then touch the installer icon, you are then given 5 options at the bottom, make sure you touch install, this will bring up a list of programs to browse and choose from. If you want to install one you click it and then click install, it will then install the app on your phone within 10 seconds and thats it! For all apps there is an information page you can read to see what that app does, although some of the info pages arent as helpful as others. I have installed all the older apps that I want so now I just go to the section in apps that is labelled RECENT and look at what has been recently released.

Damian

hello friends, i have an iPhone i have been enjoying using here in Thailand very much since bringing it over from the states last year (1.0) and unlocking back in september for use w/ AIS... its currently running 1.1.2 and i just love the dam_n thing. sad to say though, it can be a little slick at times...

it fell from my hand the other night and landed on its top corner where the power button is, everything still works fine but the silver shell chassis (rear assembly, not bezel) is flattened somewhat and unsightly... i am *really* wanting to replace this part, is there anywhere here in Bkk that can do such for me? i have seen in some webforums that there is an all-black replacement chassis available, but no idea if these have made their way over here to Thailand or not... if anyone could point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it, thx in advance my friends..!