Vista Sip Sawng Huay Kaew

Bananaman

It would appear that the Vista movie theatre at 12 Huay Kaew has finally bitten the dust. It's a miracle that the place stayed open for as long as it did in light of most showings attracting only a half dozen punters, double that at best. I, for one, will miss the place, if only for the fact that you could make a last minute decision to go see a movie, steam it there, sling the bike/car in the car park below, arrive upstairs 30 seconds before it started and still be sure of getting a good seat. Very little chance of noisy kids or cell phones ruining your viewing experience either. I'm sure many will disagree with me and wave flags of support for Major but the lengthy queues at peak (and often off-peak) times and the ridiculous new "security measures", make last minute movie plans an impossibility.

One reason it failed could have been that it wasn't clear that there was a cinema there at all. I always thought that the films advertised opposite Central were the ones showing upstairs in KSG! Was it more comfortable?

On the whole, I'd say that we have enough mainstream screens here in town. What's needed, if anything is somewhere prepared to show less Hollywood produced international films but I know it would struggle to stay viable so I won't be holding my breath.

Word has it that there's a good new DVD rental outlet on Suthep Road, near the junction with Neimenhamin - I'll be checking it out soon.

Edited by Greenside