Ais Sim Card Default Pin

MKAsok

Googled & searched TV extensively, but to no avail. Anyone know for sure (i.e. tried already & worked no problem; please no guesses, I really don't want the headache of trying to get a PUK from AIS) what the default SIM PIN for AIS sim cards is? Thanks all...

mk

I have two AIS sim cards and never used a pin code for either, however, my AIS user manual it shows a picture of the label on your box that the phone came with this shows the P/N number, IMIE number and your mobile number and says in Thai , call AIS call centre 1175

I have two AIS sim cards and never used a pin code for either, however, my AIS user manual it shows a picture of the label on your box that the phone came with this shows the P/N number, IMIE number and your mobile number and says in Thai , call AIS call centre 1175

Thanks John. I really wanted to avoid what usually turns into a profoundly complicated call to AIS, so was hoping someone here already had this information to hand. Anyone?

I have never had a PIN on any of the AIS sims I have had.. Of course your PUK is included in the box at purchase.

BTW - LOS, thanks for your help, but I think you're confusing PUK (phone unlock code), with the default SIM PIN. The PUK is what the network gives you to unblock the SIM once you've entered the SIM PIN incorrectly 3 times. Yes, the default SIM PIN is sometimes included in the network's original documentation (I don't have this), but I've never heard of them including a PUK (this would negate the whole point of having a SIM PIN). As far as I know the PUK is always pretty much generated on the spot when you're wailing down the phone to them that you've blocked your SIM card while drunk/high etc...

I have never had a PIN on any of the AIS sims I have had.. Of course your PUK is included in the box at purchase.

BTW - LOS, thanks for your help, but I think you're confusing PUK (phone unlock code), with the default SIM PIN. The PUK is what the network gives you to unblock the SIM once you've entered the SIM PIN incorrectly 3 times. Yes, the default SIM PIN is sometimes included in the network's original documentation (I don't have this), but I've never heard of them including a PUK (this would negate the whole point of having a SIM PIN). As far as I know the PUK is always pretty much generated on the spot when you're wailing down the phone to them that you've blocked your SIM card while drunk/high etc...

As I say I have never had a PIN set on my phone cards but I have had the PUK included in the initial paperwork you get when you buy a sim.. Kinda giving you the master keys..

As I say I have never had a PIN set on my phone cards but I have had the PUK included in the initial paperwork you get when you buy a sim.. Kinda giving you the master keys..

LOS - Nice one. I stand corrected. I really don't know why all networks don't do this (supply the PUK to the original owner of the SIM upon purchase). I guess it's just an extra layer of security i.e. If someone nicks your SIM and it's PIN protected AND they somehow have the original paperwork, they can unblock it without knowing all the details you've supplied to the network (name, address, account password etc.). This seems pretty irrelevant in LOS anyway, since no-one appears to require any details when the SIM is originally registered on the network, therefore, in theory at least, anyone could ring up the network and ask for a PUK for your SIM. I have heard (anecdotely) that AIS ask you a few questions when you request a PUK: stuff like, where did you buy the SIM? How often do you top up and how? How much credit do you have etc. so maybe this is their way of verifying you own the SIM/number.

Billip: In answer to your question, I usually PIN protect any SIM for the following reasons:

I usually carry a substantial amount of credit on my SIM. Also, the phone number is personally valuable to me. If the phone is lost/stolen etc (assuming it's turned off) the person who finds/steals the phone would have to know the SIM PIN to use it. They couldn't swap the SIM to another phone since the PIN would still be required. Assuming I lost the phone and it was still turned on, I would call the network with the phone's IMEI and they could de-activate the phone. It's also much easier to prove you own a particular (unregistered as is usually the case in LOS) SIM card and thus persuade the network to issue a replacement if you know the PIN (not the default PIN, a PIN you've made up yourself). In order to change the SIM PIN to one unique to you, you first need to know the default PIN: the default PIN is usually something like 0000, 1111 or (as in this case 1234), but varies between networks. You need to enter this PIN to change the SIM PIN to one of your choosing. If you enter any SIM PIN incorrectly 3 times, the SIM will become blocked (i.e. useless) until a PUK is obtained (usually from the network). Any SIM PIN entered incorectly 10 times in a row will permanantley fry any SIM card....

None of the SIM cards I've had in Thailand seem to have or require a PIN. Can someone explain why MKAsok needs one (or a PUK for that matter).

PIN's were standard on AIS SIM cards up till a few years ago, (now no longer) since my SIM goes back seven years

I knew what the OP was asking.

You need a PUK if you forget you PIN :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

Thanks for the explanation. My European SIM cards (one on a contract, and one prepaid) both have PIN protection and there seems to be no way to switch it off - nor would I want to with the contract one anyway. My Thai SIMs never have PIN protection out of the box, and I've long thought it's a great convenience to be able to switch on the phone and just go, especially on a prepaid which never has more than 500 baht credit on it. But your rationale makes sense, especially if you want to preserve your number.

• 13 years later...
On 12/29/2007 at 6:00 PM, naka said:

1 2 3 4 or at least it used to be according to my 7 year old sim documentation slip.

Naka.

1 2 3 4 worked as the default PIN today, Dec. 13, 2021, on my new AIS 1 2 Call SIM, that I bought two days ago.  Thanks for the information!

I like to lock the SIM because I had a phone stolen once and the thief moved the load off the sim card to another account.  If your SIM is registered to you, with AIS, and the SIM is locked, you can transfer the load to another SIM.

• 1 year later...

I went to an AIS service outlet. Representative insisted I can not lock the SIM card, AIS does not support that. I persist, and eventually she does some research and says the default PIN is 1,2,3,4. Enter that, then set my new PIN, enable lock. No problems..

• 6 months later...