Bow Hunting In Los

Ieyuhrah

Hello, With zero responses to the archery thread & only one response to the hunting thread since 2005 (thanks for the interest hup234) I thought that I would see if there is anyone on the list who has any serious/constructive/knowledgable information on doing non-compound bow hunting there. (Could one even import compound bows if one wanted to do so?) I have recurve & stick bows (with the goal of owning a proper English long bow, Mary Rose style) and am curious to see if they are OK to import and if there are places to hunt with them. I cannot find an English translation in any of the official government sites to find information that way. If we have those who are into so many other sports there must be someone with William Tell delusions...

Hello, With zero responses to the archery thread & only one response to the hunting thread since 2005 (thanks for the interest hup234) I thought that I would see if there is anyone on the list who has any serious/constructive/knowledgable information on doing non-compound bow hunting there. (Could one even import compound bows if one wanted to do so?) I have recurve & stick bows (with the goal of owning a proper English long bow, Mary Rose style) and am curious to see if they are OK to import and if there are places to hunt with them. I cannot find an English translation in any of the official government sites to find information that way. If we have those who are into so many other sports there must be someone with William Tell delusions...

There is no legal hunting in Thailand. However there is hunting, mostly undertaken by criminals for money or secondly by locals who poach mostly birds and some other small animals to eat. Most of the hunting is done with self made muzzle loaders, they look dangerous but work.

The largest group of hunters is the young guys after the rice fields are cut, they hunt and barbq field rats. They use spot lights and a type of crossbow thats more close in design to a underwater spear fishing set up.

There is Olympic Shooting and you can buy compound bows in Bangkok. If you want to make your own bow however I suggest looking into one of the American groups that is all about bow making, primitive archery, self bows, flintnapping, traditional archery, that sort of thing. If you need any specific help or have some question you can send me a PM.

Thank-you, MekongCombat. Thought that there could be allowed hunting of ferrals or some 'exotics' ranches that offer open chase like here. Very well suspected that any indigenous species would be off limits. May be a future business oportunity........ Growing up, our gardener made crossbows for birds Food for the hearth is usually by need. I am into historical as well as practical archery so will PM you soon. Need to learn to read so I can access university archaeolgical/anthropological papers. May check with the Siam Society. Take care, Ieyuhrah

• 4 months later...

I am native American ancestry and have hunted with bow all my life so I was sorry to learn hunting is illegal here,though like mekong combat said it does go on as it is a food source for many people. However it isa small game not deer or boar from what I have seen anyway.I have crossbow and also made my own bow but just to shoot targets mostly.Also have tomahawk and used ti throw competitively,which is why I have this forum name,but not much call for it here.I am interested in all this though so if you find out more about bowhunting and such I would be glad to know about it.

• 3 weeks later...
I am native American ancestry and have hunted with bow all my life so I was sorry to learn hunting is illegal here,though like mekong combat said it does go on as it is a food source for many people. However it isa small game not deer or boar from what I have seen anyway.I have crossbow and also made my own bow but just to shoot targets mostly.Also have tomahawk and used ti throw competitively,which is why I have this forum name,but not much call for it here.I am interested in all this though so if you find out more about bowhunting and such I would be glad to know about it.

Hi i did some research on internet it seem there is hunting in Cambodia for boar,deer,and 4 other game,and there also some hunting in Vietnam

• 5 months later...

Hi i did some research on internet it seem there is hunting in Cambodia for boar,deer,and 4 other game,and there also some hunting in Vietnam

any one stilll reading this thread? hit me up

Hunting - Thailand? What would one hunt? It's not like Colorado where one has deer, elk, bear, duck, geese, rabbit, squirrel, coyote, fox, etc. right out you back door......

you were very close to the elk when you took the pict. have been to Colorado and background is pretty flat in the pict, where was it taken, maybe eastern part?

• 1 month later...

The Brits class a longbow as one piece of wood, no lamination and no shelf, shoot off the hand.

http://www.longbow-archers.com/

In NA laminated long bows are called longbows, frowned upon by the Brits, or stick bows.

This Site uses the terms 'self' bows and 'laminated' bows.

Self bows are fairly easy to make and fun, if not accurate. Here are instructions. not the traditional 'one piece' design>

http://www.stickbow.com/FEATURES/SELFBOWS/beginnings.CFM

The leatherwall at stickbow is a great forum as is this one >

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/register.php...&i=10280747

If you PM me an email addy, will send you a Google map of archery range in BKK. You can purchase recurves and compound there.

There are 3D shoots. I won a medal last year.

If you are interested, a Thai archer makes traditional Burmese long bows.

post-63625-1231570638_thumb.jpg

post-63625-1231570824_thumb.jpg

post-63625-1231570849_thumb.jpg

post-63625-1231570886_thumb.jpg

Edited by eggomaniac

Hi tomahawk

I just came across this thread due to eggomaniac’s promotion of the thread in the general forum (smart move).

Just thought I’d mention that wild boar are indeed hunted (illegally) in the forest behind my house (part of the Mae Wong National Park; part of the Great Western Forest Complex), despite the genuine efforts of the forest rangers located just 200m from me. The boar are quite numerous here and are also shot from time to time in the fields. We also have small deer, bear, etc. from time to time.

Nobody bothers if they are shot in the fields…no more so than if they were rabbits (killing any non-farmed animal is illegal here, but no more illegal than killing rats in the fields). Killing (or collecting) anything from the forests has serious consequences, though, if caught.

The boar are often shot with home-made guns, and often by trip-wire traps where these home-made guns are set on the ground and attached to a trip wire. These traps are, of course, unattended – they are incredibly dangerous to other local residents (like me) out enjoying a perfectly legal walk in the mountains. I walked into one such trap 8 years ago: the “wire” (green string) tripped the mouse-trap type spring that strikes the percussion cap on top of the gun barrel, which sets off the gunpowder propelling up to 5 heavy pieces of shot. I was very lucky that the percussion cap failed to fire due to dampness, despite the fact that the firing mechanism had been covered by a small plastic sheet. I’m happy to say that there are now very few of these traps still used around where I live.

I have an English friend living in Nakhon Sawan who is (or used to be) into archery – he assisted the Thai team during the SEA games; I’ll point him to this thread.

Rgds

Khonwan

I shot a hog on Koh Chang with a compound bow about 2 years ago with a local friend. They are legal because they are feral. A couple of the police from White Sand beach helped us BBQ half of it and we buried/baked in the sand the rest. It weighed about 30 kilos dressed out. Perfect roasting size.

I don't shoot or hunt anymore because I'm too busy, so would sell my bow if someone was interested. It's a LEFT HANDED compound bow imported from the states and I have about 24 carbon arrows with target points and broad heads. It's probably the fastest bow in Thailand, and I have the absolute best set up. A release, quiver, bow case, fiber optic sights, ect.ect.ect would sell it al for 40k.baht firm.

pm if you want a list of everything. I live in Bkk and have shot at the range here as well.

I shot a hog on Koh Chang with a compound bow about 2 years ago with a local friend. They are legal because they are feral. A couple of the police from White Sand beach helped us BBQ half of it and we buried/baked in the sand the rest. It weighed about 30 kilos dressed out. Perfect roasting size.

I don't shoot or hunt anymore because I'm too busy, so would sell my bow if someone was interested. It's a LEFT HANDED compound bow imported from the states and I have about 24 carbon arrows with target points and broad heads. It's probably the fastest bow in Thailand, and I have the absolute best set up. A release, quiver, bow case, fiber optic sights, ect.ect.ect would sell it al for 40k.baht firm.

pm if you want a list of everything. I live in Bkk and have shot at the range here as well.

hi everyone

i now live in thailand near nakan sawan

i have been a fita coach for 10 years now and have coached all over the world in all aspects of archery compound /longbow/recurve i coached the thai team in bkk and also the veitnam team for traditional target archery

hunting is done in thailand both legal and illegal

now i teach archery only private on a one to one basis if people require this at my home as a hobby

feild archery is fast growing in thailand now mainly in chang mia area

Hi Bowman, and congrats.

The Thai team has improved leaps and bounds over the last 10 years and as you said, archery clubs are growing faster than ever.

Anyone interested really has to have a Thai friend google it and write the details in English for you. Once at he range, everyone will help.

• 6 months later...

Hey all,

My first post on this forum and its bow hunting of all things...

I have just moved to Hua Hin, and plan to get my dear old Mum to carry by Hoyt compound over when she comes for a visit. (I'll tell her to leave the braodheads at home!) I am looking for a place to shot around Hua Hin.

Anyone from HH have any experience?

cheers,

f0xxee

• 2 weeks later...

I am possible the old fart in the bow hunting section but I am retiring to phuket in the new year and back here in New zealand I live for my hunting,, I have a McPherson compound set at 60lb and have converted it to red dot scope for night shooting, at 64 i still go out at least once a month and come home with my share of pigs and deer, 9 pigs so far this year.

They say you are supposed to slow when you retire, I'm not sure who said that but it's not for me I love my hunmting and fishing sea and fresh water.

The old saying .........."If you dont use it you lose it"

• 3 months later...
I am possible the old fart in the bow hunting section but I am retiring to phuket in the new year and back here in New zealand I live for my hunting,, I have a McPherson compound set at 60lb and have converted it to red dot scope for night shooting, at 64 i still go out at least once a month and come home with my share of pigs and deer, 9 pigs so far this year.

They say you are supposed to slow when you retire, I'm not sure who said that but it's not for me I love my hunmting and fishing sea and fresh water.

Minfield, I hope you you can help me. I want to know if I can take a compound bow to Thailand when I go to live there early next year. Would be grateful for any info.

• 2 months later...

Minfield, I hope you you can help me. I want to know if I can take a compound bow to Thailand when I go to live there early next year. Would be grateful for any info.

Hi deerculler and minefield. I too would like to bow hunt boar in los. I'm told that there are plenty of boar on loan/lone island, a small island south of phuket.

• 3 months later...
hi,

I would like to know where i can get into archery in chiangmai? is there a shop or a club? I live in petchabun, but i am in CM now for 1 week.

Hi.

My name is Rik and I am an Senior Archer ( Recurve / Compound ) I am member of the Pattaya archery club in Hua yaj. There we shoot on 30 / 40 / 50m target.

I live in Rayong but I have also a house in Petchabun / Petchabun. Every two months I am there for a few weeks. On my house I have a target on 30M. If you like to meet me once, email me on "[email protected]"

By the way, I am Belgian, I can communicate in Flemish / French/ English or German. What is your nationality ?.

Hope to here from you.

All the best.

Rik H3.