What's The Job Market Like For Foreign Lawyer?

Just testing the waters a bit to see how the legal market is in Thailand. Anybody have any insights into pay and types of employment for a foreign trained lawyer? As far as my experience I have a JD/MBA from a tier 1 university in the US and two years in the commercial litigation division of a mid-sized US law firm. However, my only in-country experience is an internship at a bank in BKK during a summer abroad program a few years back in undergrad. Any chance I would have some career prospects in Thailand outside of the dodgy visa application/time share shops?

Just testing the waters a bit to see how the legal market is in Thailand. Anybody have any insights into pay and types of employment for a foreign trained lawyer? As far as my experience I have a JD/MBA from a tier 1 university in the US and two years in the commercial litigation division of a mid-sized US law firm. However, my only in-country experience is an internship at a bank in BKK during a summer abroad program a few years back in undergrad. Any chance I would have some career prospects in Thailand outside of the dodgy visa application/time share shops?

Do a web search for the State Department and check out their want adds for the embassy ect. . Believe this would be more of what you are looking for........Good luck

I don't know the answer to your question but if you have an MBA from a top tier University I think you could make better use of it in the USA. In just 5 years you could probably make enough to open your own law office in BKK or retire! I understand it's a drag here but with the kind of dough you could pull here (USA) vs BKK I'd consider it carefully.

try here:

http://www.legalthai.com/ourfirm_4.html

Matthew McEvily, nice competent guy and the owner.

Plenty of opportunities for foreign trained lawyers in Thailand IMO. Most of the major international firms have a handful of them, although - legally - you arent allowed to practice as a lawyer here and you will be called a 'consultant'. The firm I work for has a total of 160 lawyers, of which 5 are foreign. One has just made partner too.

Given your qualifications, your background and your Bkk experience, I'd say you'd have a good chance.

Plenty of opportunities for foreign trained lawyers in Thailand IMO. Most of the major international firms have a handful of them, although - legally - you arent allowed to practice as a lawyer here and you will be called a 'consultant'. The firm I work for has a total of 160 lawyers, of which 5 are foreign. One has just made partner too.

Given your qualifications, your background and your Bkk experience, I'd say you'd have a good chance.

Bendix, for the OP would you suggest it best he try to hire on locally or at the head office level?

It might also be worth speaking to some of the Mid and Senior Tier Recruitment and Executive Search Firms based in BK. Even if they don't recruit for positions in your field they should be able to redirect you.

Another alternative in Singapore where the Legal market is extremely candidate short at the moment.

I suspect you need to evaluate closely your motives and objectives for wishing to work in a law firm in Thailand and in the process, not overlook your career path!