Flax Oil Availability In Bkk

merlin1

You won't find many cheap supplements in Thailand because a lot of them are imported and available at upmarket places. Try Boots Emporium or Times Square branches. Also the small pharmacy inside Bumrungrad Hospital on the mezzanine floor. If you can find a wholesaler, the price is about 30% cheaper.

GNC Supplement shops are located in all major malls and they carry flax seed oil capsules and other imported products of reasonable quality. The price is always about twice that of the USA. I was unable to find flax seed oil in liquid form in Thailand. I use flax seed oil to treat post-lasik dry eye.

thanks cam and ric for the info. I was afraid of the GNC mention. They are ripoff artists here in the west so I can only imagine what they charge in TH. Too bad, no liquid flax available.

Given the high cost of supplements in TH generally, I wonder how many people go the mail order route. I know the Thai post office is very untrustworthy as is the whole customs dept. Any experience with this?

thanks

Merlin1

Second the recommendation for Villa. I occassion shop the one between Sukhumvit Sois 33 & 35 for western specities as a lot of farangs still shop there so there's a market that doesn't exist in Bangkok's more Thai neighborhoods.

Wheat germ, for example, can be found in botique shelves in a number of Thai-patroned supermarkets. But its a small pack and a not too cheap price. But Villa packs its own and I bought a fairly good sized bag for 35 Baht.

I believe I saw imported (OZ) flax products.

If your looking for herbs and such, just eat Thai food. It's herb energized. What Thai would buy lemon grass supplements? All that spice and herbs are typically loaded with antioxidents. And there's a lot more kinds of Thai soup than tum yum!

Ginko Bilbo (or however its spelled) the expensive $10 t $15 dollar per bottle in the west is fed to pigs here. Thais eat it too and I've seen it food center stalls place in baskets next to the nam pla prik and chilis as free condiemnts with the cucumbers and mint.

• 2 weeks later...
Merlin1 There is no such thing as good and cheap supplements. If you want the best, PM me and and I will let you know how to get them. If you want the cheap go to any local store, but remember that you do get what you pay for.

Vitamin C is Vitamin C. The cheaper the better the value.

Some exotic supplements may differ but a read of the label can flush out the overpriced bogus claims.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Gingko nuts are available from China, and they are very expensive. Gingko leaves are available in tea forms. Gotu Kola (bai bua bok) is available fresh.

Just eat Thai food la... It seems to me that nowadays Academia is debunking many food myths in favor of traditional foods like coconut oil, galanga, whole milk, and even lard.