What Do You Think The Result Will Be To The Election

Jingthing

Will PPP or the Democrats form the new government?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, it looked like it was over, but now it looks like it is not over.

How do you think this will turn out?

Where is the "Military will decide that the country isn't ready for democracy and declare full (not Thai-style) martial law nationwide." option?

They won't have to do that. If the supreme court declares PPP illegal, the government will be formed by the democrats.

How many judges will decide in favour of PPP on the grounds that they have no mandate not to follow the wishes of several million voters? That is what got ThickSkin off in the case of not declaring his assets.

It's not over till it's over.

The junta will get their way. If not, we will start all over again, but next time with new rules. They did not go thru all this trouble just to fail in the end. As the man said: PPP ruling is not an option.

Hopefully the party chosen by the majority of the Thai population prevails

As it looks the real power could be in the hands of one of the really small parties, they will be able to swing any decision either with the PPP or the Democrats, minority rules. :o

Democracy is only an illusion to make the people think they have the power :D

I agree too. The "Democrats" have reached a new low. First they tried to derail the democratic process by a boycott that stalled an election and paved the way for a coup, and the shredding of Thailand's legal constitution, which they apparently applauded. Then they were happy to see a military drafted constitution in which half the Senate is APPOINTED by a 7 member committee, not elected. Now, seeing they STILL can't win, they try to get the PPP banned because -get this- they represent the party that millions of Thais want to vote for.

They are an utter disgrace to Thailand, and to the concept of Democracy.

But to answer the poll, I abstained. Just like my wife abstained in the elections. Because it's all a sham anyway and it truly doesn't matter who forms the next lame duck government.

I personally never believed it was over.

Although I concede that anything could happen, I will be extremely surprised if Samak is allowed to take the reins of this country. Many would consider him an even worse option than Thaksin.

I would imagine the old power clique and military are deliberating 24/7 the best way to make sure that it doesn't happen.

They certainly don't want another coup, but anything short of that is definitely on the cards. This could be red carding enough PPP candidates, and thus removing their majority, to disqualifying Samak on grounds of his corruption, or disqualifying the whole PPP party on the grounds that it is a nominee of Thaksin.

My guess is that the formation of a new government will at some point soon be put on hold - maybe for 6 months or, and a new election called for.

But who knows for sure?

We shall wait and see. :o

It is not unheard of for the government of a democratic country to be governed by a coalition of parties, that form a majority, but do not include the largest single party.

It has happened in Thailand before - the most notable being when Kukrit Pramoj formed a coalition government with his Social Action Party, which was the smallest party in the government.

And the largest single party? The Democrats, who became the opposition, led by Kukrit's brother, Seni.

So don't rule anything out.

He IS allowed to hope that the will of the people prevails though right? Of course what you describe has happened, and FAR worse things happened also.

That however doesn't mean that he isn't allowed to hope for and aspire to a more democratic future, whenever it may come.

i am not referring to Thailand's last elections but here two of my questions:

-can one use the expression democracy when parliament seats are not distributed according to the number of actual votes?

-is it fair that a government for which 50.01% of a country's population voted can govern a country contrary to the wishes/desires of the remaining 49.99%?

during my professional career as a CEO i was exposed to, hampered by and drawn against my will into politics in two different third world countries where i had to play my part in the dirty game. my conclusion: most politicians (exceptions prove the rule) are not born but defecated :o

I can’t vote as there is no option for a military government.

I imagine the PPP will have many candidates disqualified and the party itself may be found to be an illegal proxy for TRT. However, it will not then be as simple as allowing the Democrats to step up. Another election will have to be staged which could take a year or so. Meanwhile the junta will continue to govern.

I find it surprising so many see the Democrats forming a Government in the event that PPP are banned/red carded. As I see it under the constitution the Democrats will not be able to form a Government as any Government will be delayed until the by-elections are complete.

I imagine the PPP will have many candidates disqualified and the party itself may be found to be an illegal proxy for TRT. However, it will not then be as simple as allowing the Democrats to step up. Another election will have to be staged which could take a year or so. Meanwhile the junta will continue to govern.

Yes. Assuming that the ruling elite finds this an acceptable course and thinks it's worth the international embarrassment of being seen to ban the biggest party, the one that millions want to vote for. I have a feeling that there may not be widespread agreement on that.

The allegation of being 'a proxy for TRT' as levelled by the "Democrats" is farcical to the extreme: NOBODY thinks PPP is anything BUT a replacement / proxy / etc for TRT! I don't. You don't. Samak sure doesn't.

But the "Democrat" lawsuit seems to imply that because TRT is banned, the voices of half the Thai electorate are banned too.

Now the question that the elite is currently coming to terms with is: "Is this worth the additional international embarrassment and continued political stalemate, OR have we rigged the constitution effectively enough already so if PPP forms a government we're actually sitting pretty enough and have achieved most of our goals, chiefly establishing once and for all who really holds power in this country."