Sick Golden Retriever

This is the problem:

We have a Golden Retriever puppy that’s four months old. Until four days ago, she had been growing like topsy and weighed eighteen kg’s.

Four days ago, she went off her food, became lethargic, and eventually stopped taking water. Now she is pretty much immobile and has stopped passing stools or water. If we try and give her water; she vomits it straight back up. Yesterday there was blood in the vomit.

The local vet has prescribed two unknown tablets, both of which will be useless as they are vomited out within seconds. She had a saline iv yesterday, and I am sending her down for another one shortly. The local vet does not appear to be geared up for any form of surgery, and does not have access to an x-ray machine.

I am a terrier man, and I have no experience of Golden Retrievers, but to me; this is starting to look like a twisted gut, or perhaps an obstruction in the intestine. The dogs is loosing appx 1 kg a day at the moment. I need two pieces of advice from anyone in the know that might be able to help.

Does this diagnosis sound accurate, or am I missing something?

If the dog does require surgery, then I need details of a competent surgeon vet either in Kalasin, Roi Et, or Sakhoon Nakhom.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to advice.

Mark.

You haven't said where you are.

There are some good vets in Thailand. For God's sake find one.

Sorry, for some strange reason half your post disappeared in my email notification. I know where you are now, and am trying to locate a vet for you. I will post if I find one.

In the meantime is there anyone in the region who can recommend a good vet?

Edited by Mobi

do not leave out parvo as a diagnosis: vomiting with blood/lethargy etc... u didnt say that she was with diahrea before that or vomiting but parvo seems to be prevalent in thailand... anyway, dont give liquids by mouth, only iv she should still be getting several liters a day at small amounts (half liter per time? quarter liter, sorry cant remember) u can do it at home of course under the skin in which case u need to give as much as u can until the skin starts to push out; then move the needle to a new spot...

she should be getting saline only (ot lactated as that dehydrates somewhat) .

no shitting or peeing means she is seriously dehydrated which means that the cycle will continue: vomiting lethargy and inability to eat...

does she have temperature? take it with a regular human thermometer...

any other symptoms?

at any rate, get her back on iv's now, today, this minute, and then find a decent vet ; u can move her with the iv; just tape it on under her skin, or if she has a shunt in place, just put it in, plaster it on to her skin, or keep a finger on the needle in the shunt, and keep the iv up higher (someone else will hold it) and taker her to the other vet that way....

sorry i cant tell u more without really knowing anything else...

with parvo, they destroy their gut; if u catch it in time with liquids, then htey can survive; if its something else, only blood work and xray or ultrasound will help; or palpitation of the abdominal area.

pramin or other anti vomiting can be given as a shot and not as liquid or pill form; plus antibiotics must be given once the vomiting stops (flagyl and penicillin come to mind) ; plus they can get something thru the iv i forgot which antibiotic can be given , to prevent secondary infections in the gut..

this is all if its indeed parvo....

bina

don't overdo it with fluids unless severe diarrhea. there are other viral diseases, corona virus and others which damage also the liver and other organs.

also possible that she has sth stuck in her body, a piece of bone or other swallowed thing.

best advice: take her to the best vet in the next city!!! immediately!

Mobi, Bina, elfe, Nienke and Bergen: thanks very much indeed for your kind and prompt advice!

The position is now this:

The original vet is indeed competent and highly respected: the lack of x-ray facilities threw me a little, but this is small town Issan, and is no reflection at all on her ability as a vet.

It’s definitely a virus: we are not yet certain whether it’s the parvovirus or coronavirus. There has been some form of local outbreak, with four dogs brought in yesterday, and another eight today. So far only one has died.

The vet strongly suggested that Goldie stays at home (less traumatic) while attending the surgery daily for the intravenous saline iv. An anti-nausea drug is being injected at the same times. No antibiotic injections have been given as of yet, but I think she is waiting for the vomiting to stop first: I will check on that first thing in the morning, when she goes for another saline iv.

The original tablets were given before a virus was suspected. She has now been poorly for two days, entering a third. The vet reckons that if they can be kept alive for four to seven days, then they usually pull through.

There has been no diarrhoea yet, only vomiting, but this is only the second/third day. She came round a little earlier and drank water from a bowl (the vet hoped that she would do this as it helps prevent her going into shock.)

I have now read up on both forms of virus, and I realise that its early days, and that basically she has to get through that first critical week: will keep you informed, and we are doing everything that we can: if you think that I am missing something please let me know as soon as you can!

Best Wishes.

Mark & Goldie.

like i said; u can have the vet put a shunt into her, and keep her at home and do the iv yourself, its no big deal, really. just hang the bag up somewhere, sit with her, let it drip the amount the vet says u need at one time, and then take it out of the shunt, close th shunt, and put a cap on the needle of the iv bag til next session... it will save u time and wear.

secondly, the antivomitng stuff can be given also iv-- we used pramin (like dramamine); as can an antibiotic.. my dog was given flagyl and moxcillin oral (children's syrup antibiotics) after the third day, cause parvo causes sloughing off of stomach linings and such... but he was given one long lasting antibiotic thru his iv (he had parvo or food poisoning a few months ago, so i went through this whole procedure-- he was actually shitting blood by the time i took him to the vets... )...i did his iv under the skin in various parts of his body, when his shunt fell out or moved... i was using liter bags so he was getting a quarter liter at a time. he was allowed no oral anything until he stopped all vomiting; i gave him ice to lick...

he pulled thruough whatever it was, the danger isnt as much parvo itself apart from dehydration, its the damage it does to the stomach lines when they start to slough off, and there is bleeding and stuff...which is why antibiotics are given, as a prevention for secondary infections that arent viral.

she wont be allowed to eat solid food for a short time after also; only thin soup, then soup with rice and small chopped chicken, then more solids... the stomach lineing is damaged so it takes time although i found that my little beastie self- regulated. he picked and chose what he foudn best for himself in the way of food. he also looked very thin and frazzled for a while and his stools took a while to get back to normal. in the end what he had was very bad food poisoning from eating spoiled chicken feed (has toxins in it when spoiled).

good luck

bina