Prohibited Work

I have seen the question asked many times in the forum about what work can you do and what is prohibited. I ran across this list on the Thai Immigration Division 3 web site and thought it worthwhile to put it here as well. Hope it helps.

.: LIST OF OCCUPATIONS PROHIBITED TO FOREIGNERS IN THAILAND :.

Under Thai Law BE2522 foreigners are prohibited to engage in any of the following. It should be noted that the law does NOT define work as doing something in return for financial or any other reward.

Manual work.

Work in agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishing excluding specialized work in each particular branch or farm supervision.

Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction works.

Woodcarving.

Driving a mechanically propelled carrier or driving a non-mechanically propelled vehicle, excluding international aircraft piloting.

Shop attending.

Auction

Supervising, auditing or giving services in accounting excluding internal auditing on occasions.

Cutting or polishing jewellery.

Haircutting, hairdressing or beauty treatment.

Cloth weaving by hand.

Weaving of mats or making products from reeds, rattan, hemp, straw or bamboo.

Making of Sa paper by hand.

Lacquerware making.

Making of Thai musical instruments.

Nielloware making.

Making of products from gold, silver or gold-copper alloy.

Bronzeware making.

Making of Thai dolls.

Making of mattresses or quilt blankets.

Alms bowl casting.

Making of silk products by hand.

Casting of Buddha images.

Knife making.

Making of paper or cloth umbrellas.

Shoemaking.

Hat making.

Brokerage or agency excluding brokerage or agency in international trade business.

Engineering work in a civil engineering branch concerning designing and calculation, organization, research, planning, testing, construction supervision or advising excluding specialized work.

Architectural work concerning designing, drawing of plans, estimating, construction directing or advising.

Garment making.

Pottery or ceramic ware making.

Cigarette making by hand.

Guide or conducting sightseeing tours.

Street vending.

Typesetting of Thai characters by hand.

Drawing and twisting silk thread by hand.

Office or secretarial work.

Legal or lawsuit services.

Source: Alien Occupational Control Division, Department of Employment Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare.

Just to clarify "legal or lawsuit services", there are many foreign legal advisors in thailand.

What is prohibited is to be a lawyer. Legal advisor is allowed.

Ken

I wondered the same thing.

Can all the international law firms in Bangkok be breaking the law?

The restricted category that I find interesting is the one that eliminated driving any mechanical or powered vehicle with the exception of International Pilots. Does that mean that even though we have Thai drivwers license that we are breaking the law when we drive our car?

The restricted category that I find interesting is the one that eliminated driving any mechanical or powered vehicle with the exception of International Pilots.  Does that mean that even though we have Thai drivwers license that we are breaking the law when we drive our car?

it means you can not be a professional bus/truck/taxi etc. driver which would require a WP. to drive a private car / bike does not require a WP.

opalhort

Correct of course. Also consider in princip[le a WP is issued to a foreigner only if a Thai cannot do the job.

As the course in lacquerware, go ahead, but make sure your teacher has a WP, if it is a foreigner. :D

btw: A non-imm R - visa is for missionary work.

But knowing the missionary postiion is not sufficient to get this type of visa. :o

"It should be noted that the law does NOT define work as doing something in return for financial or any other reward."

Does anyone know what the law DO define work as?

As some people pointed out it would be illegal to drive any vehicle, roll your own cig, take part in handicraft cources......if work is defined as just doing it.

The list in the OP looks suspiciously like the OLD list from the Royal Decree before ammendment in 1979

Many of the occupations on the 1979 decree have been allowed under the Foreign Business Act 1999, which replaced the Alien Business Law.

HOWEVER ..... repeat bigger HOWEVER - if you'd sooner obey Parliament than the King in this country, that's up to you.

The discrepancies between the Decree and the Law have never been reconciled, and hang around as "gotcha's" for use when someone really upsets the authorities

Copies of the latest lists and extracts of the law can be found on the BOI (Board of Investment) website at www.boi.go.th - also look for the link to a downloadable document called "Guide to doing business in Thailand" issued by the PM's office via the BOI - it contains a useful comparision between the Alien Business Law and Foreign Business Act, including how it affects companies registered pre Dec 1999.

A final thought - too much attention is focussed on what we CANNOT do due to the wordings of the Decree, ABL & FBA - remember, if it's not listed as prohibited, it's permitted, and check the BOI site for what is not only permitted but promoted with incentives and advantages.

Gaz

.: LIST OF OCCUPATIONS PROHIBITED TO FOREIGNERS IN THAILAND :.

Under Thai Law BE2522 foreigners are prohibited to engage in any of the following. It should be noted that the law does NOT define work as doing something in return for financial or any other reward.

Office or secretarial work.

This is rather general and to me unclear. Does it mean any clerical and secretarial or does this covers management and executive positions? I find this rather disturbing. Does this means I as a foreigner cannot get a job working as a manager or executive in Thailand?

I think this law is great :o

My GF is opening a new cafe and the building needs cleaning, tables moving etc etc. I just sit around and tell her what to lifet and move - with the excuse that I cannot physically help her because shop-work is a prohibited profession :D