Applying For Idp In Uk.

ARNIE

Just applying for IDP in UK,Is this acceptable to use while driving in Thailand along with my UK driving licence if so...for how long before i have to apply for a Thai licence?

It will mainly be used while driving hire cars.

Just applying for IDP in UK,Is this acceptable to use while driving in Thailand along with my UK driving licence if so...for how long before i have to apply for a Thai licence?

It will mainly be used while driving hire cars.

Hi Arnie

I live in N.E. Thailand and have driven many times between home and Bangkok. I have NEVER met anyone who wants/knows about an IDL. (I have one BTW).I have been stopped many times by the police and when I produce an IDL, English DL or a Thai DL, they always check the English DL and then send me on my way. I think its easier for them, unless they want 'Tea money' cos I got done for speeding.

An IDL has a 'shelf life' of one year irrespective of what country you use it and If I can remember correctly, when I applied for a motorbike licence and a car licence, they didn't ask to see my IDL although I think technically one is required. You will need a few PP size photo's, fill in a Thai form (GF did it), do a stupid colour blindness test and reaction test, then they give you Thai licence for a year. Upon renewal, a five year licence is provided.

Hope this helps

Dave

p.s. Seeing you Avitar, are your sure your old enough to drive !! :o:D:D

Edited by Dave the Dude

Cheers Dave,so really no point in applying for one then...i will just apply for my Thai one or keep paying the "tea money" as normal!!

The funny thing is i am colour blind a little so that should be fun doing that :o

Regards.

Cheers Dave,so really no point in applying for one then...i will just apply for my Thai one or keep paying the "tea money" as normal!!

The funny thing is i am colour blind a little so that should be fun doing that :o

Regards.

Wellllll, it's like this, to be legal you need an IDP. Just because you can usually BRIBE the Boys in Brown doesn't make it OK to drive without.

For the whole fiver (EDIT actually 5.50) it costs there is no argument, just remember when you KILL someone a whole new ball game comes into play, you need to be squeeky clean legal. Make sure you get the 1949 IDP for Thailand http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overs...by-country.html

To answer your question, you can drive on your IDP for up to 90 days from entry, however, since the clock restarts every time you enter there should never be any issue.

Assuming you have a non-immigrant visa a Thai licence is a piece of cake to get (and no driving test if you have an IDP) and is more useful than just persuading the cops that you're a good guy. It is a valid ID (so you don't need to carry your passport) and will often get you Thai (or at least reduced Farang) rates to enter some of the dual-price venues.

Assuming you have the right visa I can think of absolutely no reason for not having a local licence.

Edited by Crossy

I've been stopped by cops in Hua Hin and they didn't want to see my valid UK license but were quite happy when I produced my expired IDL.

You might find that to hire a car they will ask you for your IDL. And if you have an accident and don't have one then the insurance won't pay out.

To get a Thai license it is best to have the IDL otherwise you will have to spend a whole day sitting the various parts of the Thai driving test, and if you don't pass will have to try again a week later.

For a fiver it's definitely worhtwhile getting the IDL before you come.

As Crossy said it only entitles you to drive for 90 days from entry but if you do a visa run the 90 days starts again.

The funny thing is i am colour blind a little so that should be fun doing that :D

Regards.

Wellllll, it's like this, to be legal you need an IDP. Just because you can usually BRIBE the Boys in Brown doesn't make it OK to drive without.

For the whole fiver (EDIT actually 5.50) it costs there is no argument, just remember when you KILL someone a whole new ball game comes into play, you need to be squeeky clean legal. Make sure you get the 1949 IDP for Thailand http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overs...by-country.html

To answer your question, you can drive on your IDP for up to 90 days from entry, however, since the clock restarts every time you enter there should never be any issue.

Assuming you have a non-immigrant visa a Thai licence is a piece of cake to get (and no driving test if you have an IDP) and is more useful than just persuading the cops that you're a good guy. It is a valid ID (so you don't need to carry your passport) and will often get you Thai (or at least reduced Farang) rates to enter some of the dual-price venues.

Assuming you have the right visa I can think of absolutely no reason for not having a local licence.

Hi Again

I would agree with Crossy, Its hardly any hastle or cost so you might as well get an IDL even though it may not be asked for. If it is, your up sh*t creek. I live in Surin and things are generally less regimental than tourist areas (Pattaya,BKK)

The colour blind test involves looking at a picture with many different coloured circles on it and telling staffmember the colour of 3 circles. I told her in Engrish and I saw/heard no evidence that she understood our language!! :bah::D:o:D:D

Dave :bah:

The colour blind test involves looking at a picture with many different coloured circles on it and telling staffmember the colour of 3 circles. I told her in Engrish and I saw/heard no evidence that she understood our language!! :bah::D:o:D:bah:

The colour blindness check is the standard Isihara Test (coloured blobs with numbers in slightly different colours) http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.html

The chap doing mine in Pathum Thani didn't speak English but he was smarter than the average pleb and had written the answers down for me to point at :D He had however, written them in the order they appeared :D

Also had to do a reaction test and a depth-perception test, both of which I failed miserably, still gave me the licence though :o

Just tried the colour test and yes i could only see the number 25....but as you say there are ways around it,i hope!

Thank you Dave & Crossy for putting me right,i will get the IDP as for the fiver it is worth it and then apply for my TDL which should be fun....i will just nod excitedly when they show me the circles!!

International driving permit is valid for year but maybe limited to 3 months,you need to check this 1st.

You can drive on them until they expire and or apply thai drivers licence when you got settlment visa and do thai test

Isn't that what I said in post #4?

Actually it's 90 days not 3 months, which resets whenever you leave the country.

There is no such thing as a 'settlement visa' for Thailand (many of us wish there was) you need a non-immigrant visa of any class to apply for a Thai licence. If you have a current IDP you don't need to do the driving or theory tests, you do still need to do the colour blindness, depth perception and reaction tests.

Just tried the colour test and yes i could only see the number 25....but as you say there are ways around it,i hope!

Thank you Dave & Crossy for putting me right,i will get the IDP as for the fiver it is worth it and then apply for my TDL which should be fun....i will just nod excitedly when they show me the circles!!

Hi Arnie

Just thought of another thing you may be unaware off? Unlike the UK, in Thailand you need seperate DL's for driving/riding a car and a motorbike. I got both at the same time which meant double the paperwork/photo's, but one colourblindness & reaction test. Dont know what a depth perception test is?? cos I didnt do one?? :D but then again, I am easily confused :o:D

Dave

>Actually it's 90 days not 3 months,

I remember reading somewhere that the IDP is accepted in Thailand for 3months/90 days but after that time you "should" obtain a Thai Drivers Licence.

However I doubt that if you are asked to produce five months into a year's holiday you would encounter much problem if you handed over an IDP.

BTW I have shown expired IDPs for a few years - they are accepted at Police check points in town and up country without hassle.

As for the hire companies, I think they just want to know you can drive a car - so will accept your national licence as that proof. The hire companies do not enforce the speed limits or any other Thai Traffic Law, so you can expect them to hire you a car with just your national licence as that proof.

It is when you are driving on Thai Roads that the Thai Police could ask to see your proof that you can drive a car - and they expect to see your IDP, which they accept as proof you can drive.

That said "most" police will accept a national licence, they might ask to see your Passport (which as someone above writes should be carried with you) just to see if you are a tourist, they look for a visa stamp or the 14/30 day visa-exemption stamp.

I've produced combinations of national licence / IDP and Pasport in the past and any "fine" was based on moving traffic violations not paperwork. Most of the time I play dumb tourist when stopped and most of the time I get asked to go away :o