Transfer Ownership Thai -> Farang

Thanh-BKK

Hello.

I was finally able to track down the guy who's name my motorbike is registered in. He said we should meet to make a "contract": to have the bike put in my name. Now i want to ask what i need?

I already have the bike, the green book etc. But it's registered in HIS name. I want MY name to be in the green book, so that i can move the bike to Chiang Mai eventually (i'm planning to live there sooner or later, fed up with Bangkok now).

I know i will need to go to the transportation department to have the change done. BUT -

1) Does that guy have to come with me (because i am a Farang)? He works mornings so that would be impossible.

2) When i bought the bike (for him) in first place, the former owner gave us a signed document which we took to the transportation department. Where to get such document in first place?

3) Do i need a new residence verification from my embassy, like the one to get the driving license? If so, will a copy be sufficient? (still have a copy of the one i had for the driving license and i hate queueing at the embassy for hours!)

4) I have a non-B Visa but it's finished, i am currently on the fifth entry and permitted to stay till end March but the visa itself ran out end December. No WP. Is this sufficient or should i wait until i have a new visa?

Lastly, if at some stage i decide it's time to move up north, what would i need to have the bike transferred from Bangkok to Chiang Mai? Still in my name, just get new plate and all. The bike in question is a thai-made Yamaha RXZ, year 1994, nothing fancy but in Chiang Mai i would be the queen of the road - all bikes there seem to top out at 60-70 KM/h :o I only saw a SINGLE ONE RXZ there and that had a food cart mounted to it's side and was on top of Doi Suthep :D

@PeaceBlondie if you read this - i found a better solution to get parts from Malaysia than going there myself - i found a guy in KL whom i trust and he can get parts for me and send them here. Will try next week with a footrest set, he actually owns a bike parts shop there. I won't get an entirely new RXZ that way but other accessories unavailable in Thailand i CAN get. Btw i was in Chiang Mai the last couple of weeks...... got another cold due to the freezing temperatures at night but i just LOVE it there! Do YOU know why everyone there drives 40-50 with a car (even Fortuners!!) and never faster than 70 with a motorbike, even on empty 4-lane roads outside the city? It has me wondering every time i'm there.......

Best regards....

Thanh

He needs to sign the green book,sign a couple copies of his tambien baan,sign a couple copies of his national ID card and then sign 2 documents available at any car or mc shop that are releasing the vehicle to you. You can use copy of add. conf. in some prov. but not others. Best to get new letter.