Where To Weigh Luggage Before Check In?

jeepholt

Am posting this in both the Suvarnabhumi Airport forum and the Pattaya forum since I think it is a question concerning both places? Don't know if it's against the rules or not. Apologize if it is and I'm sure a mod will straighten me out!

Any of you guys know somewhere in the airport that you can use scales to weigh your baggage BEFORE getting to the airline check in counters? Reason I'm asking is that Air Asia only allows 15 KG's total and 4 of us flying will probably have to do some shifting of stuff in luggage in order to fall within these weight limits. Would hate to have to do it at airline check in and delay all the others waiting behind us. Coming from Pattaya to fly Air Asia to Phnom Penh and back, and even after all these years here, I can't think of anywhere in Pattaya to weigh our baggage before going to BKK.

TIA

Am posting this in both the Suvarnabhumi Airport forum and the Pattaya forum since I think it is a question concerning both places? Don't know if it's against the rules or not. Apologize if it is and I'm sure a mod will straighten me out!

Any of you guys know somewhere in the airport that you can use scales to weigh your baggage BEFORE getting to the airline check in counters? Reason I'm asking is that Air Asia only allows 15 KG's total and 4 of us flying will probably have to do some shifting of stuff in luggage in order to fall within these weight limits. Would hate to have to do it at airline check in and delay all the others waiting behind us. Coming from Pattaya to fly Air Asia to Phnom Penh and back, and even after all these years here, I can't think of anywhere in Pattaya to weigh our baggage before going to BKK.

TIA

Weigh all four bags at one time at check-in, 4 x 15 = 60 kg.  Airlines normally allow that, thus no shifting of goodies required if at or under 60 kg.

Mac

I bought some fish weighing scales (that fishermen use to weigh their catch) from a tackle shop.Good to 35 KG.Small and portable.

Alternatively, stand on bathroom scales holding the bag and subtract your weight, this will give you the bag weight.

TIA

Weigh all four bags at one time at check-in, 4 x 15 = 60 kg. Airlines normally allow that, thus no shifting of goodies required if at or under 60 kg.

Mac

But as about anyone knows, AirAsia is NOT the average airline. They Do weight and DO strictly (well, this is Thaild, but most of times) keep to the 15 kg limit, PER PERSON. Even though anyone seems to moan+groan about it, their overweight charges are also a lot lower as the classic airlines charge.

You will not hold up others: they simply tell you to step aside and do your thing and come back when finished.

About any airline has some ''max.size'' thing somewehre at swampy (for hand-luggages), but I cannot remember having seen any scales for public use: so simply use any unused check-in belt and see if that works.(it will show ther weight)

• 2 weeks later...

Just walk up to any check in counter where there is no queue and drop your bag on the belt/scale. They never, as far as I know, turn off the scales or the little LCD readout. That's what an AirAsia agent told me to do when I asked if they had a scale at their airport office.

Some good suggestions so far, but sadly, except for the fish weighing scales, none I hadn't already thought of. :D I also appreciated the couple of posts about Air Asia being strict. My Thai wife (well Esarn, Isahn, Isan,Isarn?)and I are not worried about the weight at all. It's just my brother and his rather corpulent American wife (who thinks she needs a full wardrobe daily), who I'm sure will be overweight - the luggage that is! She emailed me and said that the American air carrier allows about 100 lbs per person on their flights for their luggage? She says she is trying to pare her baggage weight down to stay under that! Wow. :D I think it would be fair if Air Asia weighed her physically, and then allowed the rest of us to make up our reduced weights by letting us carry on/check the difference in weight between us and her? :D Ok, enough of the joking around. I do sometimes think about the major weight differences between people on planes though. Maybe they should charge by total weight (person plus baggage) or make them buy 2 tickets if they add up to more than say - 250 lbs? This should fire up our friends who are larger than most, and also the Yank bashers! :bah:

In my 38 yrs here in Thailand, I've never found the cheapo bathroom scales to be even close to accurate. I even went to Tony's gym and used the 4 sets of scales I found there to weigh a bag, and came up with a 7 kilo difference between the scales. That even includes the medical type balance scale. Same at the Thai market behind my house. I haven't found any hotels yet who have scales, at least not near any of the pubs I was at. :o Spoke with one of postmasters I've known for a long time and he told me I could come in after hours and weigh the bags there for free. We all know how that works out in final tally; somehow tipping to his advantage somewhere along the line. Still looking for some fish scales that I can afford here in Pattaya. I am leaning toward finding somehow to weigh the bags prior to going to the airport now since that is leaving it a bit late if enough stuff can't be shuffled around to come within the weight limits. Happened that way to my wife and I when we went to New Zealand on holiday last year. We were allowed I think 30KG's on Thai Air, then when flying from Aukland to Christchurch on Air New Zealand we got stung with fairly heavy baggage charges. Another problem is: we are taking 4 different Air Asia flights, so whatever is overweight has to be multiplied X4. If my brother and his wife were not flying straight back to the USA after our Cambodia junket, we could leave the excess baggage here at my house, but they are going straight back. I did search the threads for storage at the airport and found it was reported to be 100 baht per bag per day and that there was a lot of theft at stored baggage.

And before anyone mentions the obvious; I already told my brother to cut down on the kilo's he brings with him - by throwing away his wife's ticket! :D

So, thanks so far for the suggestions. Hope somebody can come up with more suggestions for us. TIA

An old trick that i used to do when trying to weigh my dog. First I get on the scale and weigh myself. Next I grab my dog and repeat. I minus the two to come up with the difference. I suspect this would be an easier exercise with a suitcase. Even if your scale isnt exact, the difference between the two weights shouldnt be off by much.

Using monty python logic, if my dog weighs as much as your suitcase, it must be overweight and therefore is a witch, in which case will need to buy a seat for itself.

Tell you relatives to pack their money and a passport, leave that other crap at home. Really, do you need 5 pairs of shoes to walk on the beach? :D

Some good suggestions so far, but sadly, except for the fish weighing scales, none I hadn't already thought of. :D I also appreciated the couple of posts about Air Asia being strict. My Thai wife (well Esarn, Isahn, Isan,Isarn?)and I are not worried about the weight at all. It's just my brother and his rather corpulent American wife (who thinks she needs a full wardrobe daily), who I'm sure will be overweight - the luggage that is! She emailed me and said that the American air carrier allows about 100 lbs per person on their flights for their luggage? She says she is trying to pare her baggage weight down to stay under that! Wow. :D I think it would be fair if Air Asia weighed her physically, and then allowed the rest of us to make up our reduced weights by letting us carry on/check the difference in weight between us and her? :bah: Ok, enough of the joking around. I do sometimes think about the major weight differences between people on planes though. Maybe they should charge by total weight (person plus baggage) or make them buy 2 tickets if they add up to more than say - 250 lbs? This should fire up our friends who are larger than most, and also the Yank bashers! :bah:

In my 38 yrs here in Thailand, I've never found the cheapo bathroom scales to be even close to accurate. I even went to Tony's gym and used the 4 sets of scales I found there to weigh a bag, and came up with a 7 kilo difference between the scales. That even includes the medical type balance scale. Same at the Thai market behind my house. I haven't found any hotels yet who have scales, at least not near any of the pubs I was at. :o Spoke with one of postmasters I've known for a long time and he told me I could come in after hours and weigh the bags there for free. We all know how that works out in final tally; somehow tipping to his advantage somewhere along the line. Still looking for some fish scales that I can afford here in Pattaya. I am leaning toward finding somehow to weigh the bags prior to going to the airport now since that is leaving it a bit late if enough stuff can't be shuffled around to come within the weight limits. Happened that way to my wife and I when we went to New Zealand on holiday last year. We were allowed I think 30KG's on Thai Air, then when flying from Aukland to Christchurch on Air New Zealand we got stung with fairly heavy baggage charges. Another problem is: we are taking 4 different Air Asia flights, so whatever is overweight has to be multiplied X4. If my brother and his wife were not flying straight back to the USA after our Cambodia junket, we could leave the excess baggage here at my house, but they are going straight back. I did search the threads for storage at the airport and found it was reported to be 100 baht per bag per day and that there was a lot of theft at stored baggage.

And before anyone mentions the obvious; I already told my brother to cut down on the kilo's he brings with him - by throwing away his wife's ticket! :D

So, thanks so far for the suggestions. Hope somebody can come up with more suggestions for us. TIA