Business/work Permit

Help!!!!!

My business partner and i, both Aussies over 50 are looking to buy or start a small bar/rest in Thailand.

Can we commit financially and legally to the business if we are on tourist visas, is it a question of having an amount of Baht deposited into a local bank?

Once the business is registered can we apply for appropriate work permits or what do we need to do to ensure we are legally working/residing in Thaialnd?

Does a business need to be certain Baht size in turnover or number of Thais employed to secure a work permit? :o

I realize we need to speak to solicitors to finalise all arrangements but we would appreciate the knowledge and experience of members.

Many thanks,

Greg

Australia

My business partner and i, both Aussies over 50 are looking to buy or start a small bar/rest in Thailand.

Can we commit financially and legally to the business if we are on tourist visas, is it a question of having an amount of Baht deposited into a local bank?

It is better to get a non immigrant visa in Perth or Brisbane first. You'll need this to apply for a work permit. Ask for a multiple entry non immigrant visa...Most likely you’ll need more than 90 days to do research and due diligence.

We can help with this if you have any questions.

Once the business is registered can we apply for appropriate work permits or what do we need to do to ensure we are legally working/residing in Thaialnd?

You apply for a work permit after the company is formed.

Does a business need to be certain Baht size in turnover or number of Thais employed to secure a work permit?

If you are a director, it has to be 2 million baht registered capital (this is on paper, it does not need to be paid up) if you are applying for a work permit. For every director applying it is 2 million baht so with two directors it would be 4 million baht registered capital.

Note * If you have one foreign director and five foreigners working….only a 2 million baht registered company is needed not 10 million as the requirement is only for directors getting a work permit.

You do not need any Thais working in your company to get a work permit.

HOWEVER, for an extension of stay visa, you must have 2 million baht registered company paid up, 4 Thais employed per work permit and getting the minimum salary (For Aussies its 60,000 Baht per month)

If you cannot meet one of these conditions, you simply do a 90 day visa run on a multiple entry visa and can extend legally the work permit every 90 days. You do not have to do the extension yourself; our staff or another legal group can go to the Labor Dept for you.

We have 13 legal staff in our legal department that can help you with the company setup, work permit, visas and the business registration. The best advice we can give you, pick your lawyer or consultant very carefully. It is very important to have a good lawyer who has legal strategies to give you control over the company even if you are a minor shareholder. Note* A simple signing of a share transfer form by a Thai person does NOT accomplish this goal.

Sunbelt, you should be happy to know, has legal fees that are among the lowest in the Kingdom. More important as our business is business, you’ll get advice that is spot on by licensed lawyers. Giving you even more peace of mind, we are proud to be part of the World’s largest Business Advisor Group.

www.sunbeltnetwork.com

www.sunbeltasia.com

I