Filing income tax returns

hukster

All U.S. citizens and permanent residents (greencard holders) must file tax returns if they have more than the required income.  The required amount depends on their filing status (single, married, etc.) but the exclusion for foreign income is NOT part of this minimum.

ACS will not provide assistance with preparation of income tax returns although they may be able to furnish some forms.  They will give you the names of firms which have indicated an ability to provide tax consulting and preparation services.

If you call ACS, one of the names they will give you is mine.  I have over 20 years experience prerparing tax returns and working with expatriates.

Thanks for the reply Lanny. I will not have any foreign income. I am a us citizen, and will be living in Pattaya retired. I have a tax accountant in the US that will prepare my return. I was just wondering if i had to mail to the US, or can i file thru acs?

Even if you have no foreign income, there are special rules that may apply to you.  For example, your due date for both filing and payment is 6/15, NOT 4/15.  You merely attach a statement that you are living abroad and outside the U.S. on 4/15 and the extension applies.  Unlike the regular extension, this gives you the extra 60 days to pay -- although you do have to pay interest for the period from 4/15.

Technically, you can deliver your return to the Embassy but, in my years here, I have never heard of anyone who actually used this method.  It is easier to use the mails but be sure to use EMS and keep the receipt as proof of mailing.

what exactly are the rules for US citizens earning income in Thailand?  I have to pay Thai tax as well as US tax?  How much US tax do I have to pay?  Its based on how much I earn?  Is it possible to not have to pay US tax if I make too little?  I am clueless on this.

First, for hukster:  If you want to claim your new wife and child as dependents, you must ask IRS for taxpayer identification numbers.  Until they are granted citizenship or permanent residence status, they are not eligible for social security numbers.  You can download the forms from the IRS website and the process can take some time, so don't wait till you are ready to file your return.

Also, you need to be sure wht you are doing if you want to file a return with your new wife.  There are special rules that apply to non-resident aliens spouses.

Second, for tripxcore:  The U.S. is almost the only country that taxes its citizens and residents on their income earned while living/working out of the country.  As long as you have income, from any source, that is greater than the minimum for your filing status -- usually the total of your exemptions (not including depents) and standard deduction -- you must file a return.

If you earn a salary or make a profit from a business in Thailand, you must report that on a U.S. return.  If you meet the requirements, you may be elegible to exclude as much as $80,000 from taxable income.  However, the law requires you to file a return and provide IRS with information to permit them to verify your elegibility for the exclusion.  

If you income exceeds $80,000, you may be able to take a credit for Thai taxes paid.

If you earn a salary or make a profit from a business in Thailand, you must report that on a U.S. return.  If you meet the requirements, you may be elegible to exclude as much as $80,000 from taxable income.  However, the law requires you to file a return and provide IRS with information to permit them to verify your elegibility for the exclusion.  

If you income exceeds $80,000, you may be able to take a credit for Thai taxes paid.

Ok so what you're saying is, if I meet certain criteria, I might not have to pay US taxes if my yearly income was under $80,000.  What is that criteria?  Also, does the IRS consider my income what I earned before I pay the Thai tax or after?  I am assuming it's before I pay Thai tax or else they would probably never get anything.