International Baccalaureate

Xangsamhua

I have a list of International Schools in Thailand offering the International Baccalaureate (IBAC). Does anyone know of any schools other than International Schools that are offering IBAC at primary, middle years or diploma level?

I have a list of International Schools in Thailand offering the International Baccalaureate (IBAC). Does anyone know of any schools other than International Schools that are offering IBAC at primary, middle years or diploma level?

I'm not an expert but I would say that only international schools offer IB. In Singapore 1 state school now offers IB, but then English is the first language there....

I can't imagine a Thai school opting for (or being allwoed to opt for) an international curriculum.

I'm not an expert but I would say that only international schools offer IB. In Singapore 1 state school now offers IB, but then English is the first language there....

I can't imagine a Thai school opting for (or being allwoed to opt for) an international curriculum.

When I saw the post I immediately thought of the 1 school in Singapore as it was front page news last week.

My best pal's two daughters are doing the IB in New York although 1 may transfer to Serbia. He made the choice over A-Levels due to the international relocations and also for a more rounded education.

I've been very impressed with IB compared to A-levels and would recommend it highly, especially the HL classes.

I just purchased a HL mathematics book. I intend using some material for my EP classes. However much of it would be over many of their heads. As it is, I don't know of any non-international school offering the IB in LoS.

I've been very impressed with IB compared to A-levels and would recommend it highly, especially the HL classes.

I had that exact same opinion until I read about the Singapore Anglo-Chinese school. They had 9 students (out of 300) reach a perfect score. This is 3% yet worldwide less than 1% of entrants receive a perfect score.

I love Singapore, but the education system and subsequent "tick box" thinking I would have thought didn't bode well for such an expansive theory of knowledge driven curriculum.

Hopefully the world can expect some much more creative and innovative new young people on the labour market in a few years :-)

Well, there could be two reasons.

1. The student/teaching level isn't high enough to bother; and

2. Since the exams have to be officially marked away from the school, it means that things are super-transparent- which is not what most Thais paying for private schools are paying for.

"S"

2. Since the exams have to be officially marked away from the school, it means that things are super-transparent- which is not what most Thais paying for private schools are paying for.

"S"

Tut, tut...such cynicism. Actually, I had a look at the details of the IB and the process for applying recently. I think it would be difficult for even the best resourced private bilingual school to manage, though perhaps they could if they charged high enough fees for the IB program and put a lot of money and effort into meeting IBO's requirements. MoE will accept IB as equivalent to Thai senior studies on application from the school.

I did see one university satit school advertise IB on their website, but there's no indication that they're doing it, and their name's not on the IBO list for Thailand. Maybe they're in the application process.

Congratulations, "S", on having hit the 6000 mark.

I was thinking of reason 1 although reason 2 is perfectly valid too. You summarise it so much better than me, IJWT :o

• 4 weeks later...

I think even in England there is no longer any dispute that the IB is far superior to A levels, the latter having been vastly deteriorated by decades of 'dumbing down' and examination by re-takeable stages - all designed to ensure better performance/results for political purposes. Employers and universities there are in despair at the lowered A level standards, and I know from recent experience (my daughter's) that the IB is more welcome at the best universities in England.

I'd be very interested to know what sort of results even the best thai schools get for their IB students - given that the papers are marked abroad (in Switzerland?)

"S"

Spot on, I'd say. I doubt many IB teachers would be attracted to Thai schools to try and teach at this level. The salary is lousy (many private schools here even advertise for BEds and want to pay only 30K), and very few students would be capable at this level, especially the english requirements for long essay writing. EP's are immensely popular as the are Thai run (with the typical Thai BS), and noone fails.

So the Ministry might think The IGCSE's (or even the IB) is 'equivalent to the M6 certificate is incredible. Anyone with a good IB (or even A-levels) knows far more than most Thai Uni graduates!

"S"

Spot on, I'd say. I doubt many IB teachers would be attracted to Thai schools to try and teach at this level. The salary is lousy (many private schools here even advertise for BEds and want to pay only 30K), and very few students would be capable at this level, especially the english requirements for long essay writing. EP's are immensely popular as the are Thai run (with the typical Thai BS), and noone fails.

So the Ministry might think The IGCSE's (or even the IB) is 'equivalent to the M6 certificate is incredible. Anyone with a good IB (or even A-levels) knows far more than most Thai Uni graduates!

Oh we employ Thai Uni graduates and they compete at a world class level - they all have post grad's from oversea's as well though :o

Oh we employ Thai Uni graduates and they compete at a world class level - they all have post grad's from oversea's as well though :o

Overseas study is tough for Thai students. My wife did her PhD in Australia, and I know of others who have done it. Plenty of smart people in Thailand, but unfortunately many don't get the chance to study overseas, and the current education system here doesn't allow them to be challenged and to become 'world class'. The onlty way to do that is to study overseas. Perhaps when the number of world class Thai scientists / technologists increases, then there will be less need for Thais to study overseas.