Bts To Airport

barlok1976

the works haven't started yet and the last year there were even talks of abandoning the project for sometimes.

work is planned from the spring - would take several years to complete.

taxis are still cheap

I heard they will finish it before Xmas 2008. Stations along the route being built now. Makkasan Station well on the way.

I don't believe the BTS or MRT is ever planned to go to the airport.

The Airport Rail Link (operated by SRT) is under (slow) construction and is scheduled to start operation early 2009, IMHO no chance given the current status and speed of the civil works. If they ever finish the link you will be able to transfer to the MRT at Makkasan and BTS at Phaya Thai (IIRC). There will be no through ticketing so transfer is not seemless.

Although the ADB has released funds for a study into an integrated ticket system for BKK actual implementation is some time off despite a half-arsed 'trial' between BTS and MRT that is supposedly starting next month.

I'm living 10 minutes drive from Suwarnapoomy and my Thai bf tells me that it'll be finished within a 2 year time frame. There is currently on-going work for the BTS Flyovers, as you can see from expressway leaving from Anusawaree to Lat Krabang, but am unsure of what stage they're at.

I do know that there is intention to complete the project, and that it's currently underway as we speak. IMHO I agree with the mid 2009 schedule.

Question is, if you are coming from a longhaul and have a heavy bag or bags, do you really want to do this? I've done the tube from Heathrow and aside from the time incurred, it was hel_l. I'll pay the small taxi fare any day.

I think that many people who have just survived one of the safest forms of transport in the world i.e. flying, would rather not then risk their lives on one of the most dangerous forms of transport i.e. a Bangkok taxi on an expressway, if they can help it (in my opinion).

hello does anybody know when the bts will be arriving to the airport has it still a lot of delay the construction, thanks

Hi

Well I had a taxi from central BKK to airport on Friday last and made a point of checking out the progress along the way, notwithstanding all the previous posts re finances etc I reckon the actual overhead track structure is about 98% complete, however the stations are in very early stages of construction.

I know TIT but it would be foolhardy to the extreme to cancel the project at this stage, yes I know the evidence of past efforts is there for all to see but that was canceled at a much earlier stage and presumably after the go ahead for Suvarnanphum had been given.

I suspect that it is about 2 years away from operation (although I have no idea of the station progress at the airport end) anyway that worldwide font of information the taxi driver informs me that when it is running, booking in will be carried out on board and he said it will be operational in 2 years.

So there you have it from the horses mouth. Its a done deal :o

TBWG :D

• 2 weeks later...

I had a meeting with SRT recently and was given a tour of the new city facility (such as it is at the moment, but i can see the potential, car drop offs possible right at the departure level! Lots of space for duty free retail too.

They said that they are heading towards a Q4 08 completion and that they should 90% complete by now but are only at the 75% complete stage.

I was told that the greatest delay came from the compulsory acquisition order of land for the BTS link (at Phayathai Station).

It will have one track but two services. A BTS express train (non stop to the airport) that runs every 30 minutes and takes 15 minutes from point to point, and a regular BTS service stopping at 6 stops including the airport that will run every 15 minutes, and will take 30 minutes point to point.

(I know, tell me about it, I did the math too!)

it took me over an hour yesterday morning to get through 3 horrendously long cues at the airport, at ticketing, then immigration, and following a very very long walk across the terminal, the third and final cue at the security checkpoint near the gate. that place is already operating past capacity so soon after opening. i am looking forward to the express train with the city check in facility which i hope will help get rid of at least one of the airport cues. going through suvarnabhumi is definitely one of life's most dreaded experiences.

It will have one track but two services. A BTS express train (non stop to the airport) that runs every 30 minutes and takes 15 minutes from point to point, and a regular BTS service stopping at 6 stops including the airport that will run every 15 minutes, and will take 30 minutes point to point.

This fact is something which, surprisingly, is not really well known.

A fast train and a slow train will be sharing one set of Tracks, there are so-called "passing loops" being built into the system into which, in theory, the slow train will "duck" to allow the non-stop service to pass.

I don't know if this idea is employed anywhere else in the world (certainly I have never heard of it) but it sounds like a recipe for disaster - particularly in a place like Thailand.

Patrick

This fact is something which, surprisingly, is not really well known.

A fast train and a slow train will be sharing one set of Tracks, there are so-called "passing loops" being built into the system into which, in theory, the slow train will "duck" to allow the non-stop service to pass.

I don't know if this idea is employed anywhere else in the world (certainly I have never heard of it) but it sounds like a recipe for disaster - particularly in a place like Thailand.

Patrick

Hong Kong Airport Express Line has a dual tier service like this, the ARL shares the alignment and tracks with the Tung Chung line of MTR. The MTR stops at more stations than the ARL where the ARL trains can pass.

It's actually perfectly safe, the trains all have the same line speed so the only time any catching up occurs is when a slow train is stopped in the loop off the main run.

I've not seen the latest track plans for BKK express, but the last set I saw (IIRC) didn't feature passing loops because the scheduling allows a slow train to follow an express, the slow will be past the City Terminal before the next express catches it.

The Airport Rail Link (operated by SRT) is under (slow) construction and is scheduled to start operation early 2009, IMHO no chance given the current status and speed of the civil works. If they ever finish the link you will be able to transfer to the MRT at Makkasan and BTS at Phaya Thai (IIRC). There will be no through ticketing so transfer is not seemless.

Took a few snaps from Phaya Thai skytrain station 2 days ago.

Reasonable progress considering they did not start on this station until recently.

post-32140-1202023255_thumb.jpg

post-32140-1202023297_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
the great majority passengers in London use tube or train to and from the airport.

they are faster, cheaper and you can check in your luggage at the station (no need to walk with it around the airport)

Do you mean you can check in your luggage at Heathrow Airport train terminal when you arrive? I am not sure you can check it in at the Heathrow tube terminal.

According to the Nation Friday 30 Jan 2009:

"An electric train linking Suvarnabhumi Airport and central Bangkok's Makkasan area ...officially begins on August 12th. Each train will have 160 seats, with one carriage dedicated for passengers' luggage."

How safe is this? Will the luggage have been checked in? Will I lose sight of my luggage en route?

Remembering the story of the coach passengers whose luggage was tampered with when accessed by the bus crew, I am not comfortable with this arrangement.

Why not carriages with luggage racks throughout so you can keep an eye on things?

the great majority passengers in London use tube or train to and from the airport.

they are faster, cheaper and you can check in your luggage at the station (no need to walk with it around the airport)

Do you mean you can check in your luggage at Heathrow Airport train terminal when you arrive? I am not sure you can check it in at the Heathrow tube terminal.

There are no facilities for checking your luggage in when travelling to London's Heathrow Airport by the underground/tube, there are far too many stations, but you can certainly check your luggage in at Paddington Station, at least for some airlines, if you are travelling to Heathrow on The Heathrow Express

They are now testing trains on the line, saw one last week.
Soon people will be able to take a train straight from King Power shops at Suvarnabhumi to King Power's disturbingly Suvarnabhumi-looking Pullman complex full of more King Power shops!

I actually look forward to this as I'm a big fan of rail links to airports. I live over at Thong Lo, so it looks like connecting at Petchaburi MRT is the easiest way from this side of town. However, I haven't walked over and actually looked to see if they put the gigantic Makkasan station next to the MRT station or if it's a "connection" like at Sala Daeng where you have to walk half a klick overhead down Silom and take three escalators to get to the trains. Anyone been over to see how far the connection is?

Anyone been over to see how far the connection is?

It's a good 400m from the closest exit of Petchaburi MRT to the CAT at Makkasan.

I believe it will be an overhead 'Skywalk', I'll lay odds on it not being aircon.

The BTS transfer at Phaya Tai should be much shorter, but you'll not have access to the express trains only the city service.

According to the Nation Friday 30 Jan 2009:

"An electric train linking Suvarnabhumi Airport and central Bangkok's Makkasan area ...officially begins on August 12th. Each train will have 160 seats, with one carriage dedicated for passengers' luggage."

How safe is this? Will the luggage have been checked in? Will I lose sight of my luggage en route?

Remembering the story of the coach passengers whose luggage was tampered with when accessed by the bus crew, I am not comfortable with this arrangement.

Why not carriages with luggage racks throughout so you can keep an eye on things?

If you are not comfortable with it then I guess you have two choices mate. A small carry-on bag or find alternative transport. :o

But seriously, from what I have seen at the Makassan station- it's pretty huge so it wouldn't surprise me if they have a set-up similar to HK. Of course, if this happens 90% of the facility will be dedicated to Thai Airways.

it's pretty huge so it wouldn't surprise me if they have a set-up similar to HK. Of course, if this happens 90% of the facility will be dedicated to Thai Airways.

Yup, it's pretty much identical to HK, you check-in yourself and your bag at the City Air Terminal, Makkasan and don't see it again until you and it (hopefully) arrive at your destination :o Once the bag is checked-in it's as safe (or not) as it would be if you checked it at the airport.

Trains have luggage positions for those who don't want to use the check-in facility.

Going the other way (from Swampy) everyone takes their bag on the train (the luggage car is empty).

Edited by Crossy

They are now testing trains on the line, saw one last week.
Soon people will be able to take a train straight from King Power shops at Suvarnabhumi to King Power's disturbingly Suvarnabhumi-looking Pullman complex full of more King Power shops!

Don't knock it. King Power are the only thing paying for the new airport and the new rail link.

There are no facilities for checking your luggage in when travelling to London's Heathrow Airport by the underground/tube, there are far too many stations, but you can certainly check your luggage in at Paddington Station, at least for some airlines, if you are travelling to Heathrow on The Heathrow Express

Which airlines and where? The area that was orginaly the check-in area at Paddington is now shops. I used this when flying BA in 1999, but when I came back in 2003 it was no longer. I use Heathrow express once a month now days and have never seen any airline check-in desk nor have I seen baggage loaded into the special compartments on the Heathrow express trains.

Which airlines and where? The area that was orginaly the check-in area at Paddington is now shops. I used this when flying BA in 1999, but when I came back in 2003 it was no longer. I use Heathrow express once a month now days and have never seen any airline check-in desk nor have I seen baggage loaded into the special compartments on the Heathrow express trains.

Whoops, I think you are probably right. Now you mention it I haven't used the facility for a number of years or even noticed them, obviously the shops are far more profitable.

A number of tourist websites still say there are 19 check in desks - sorry about that.

They used to have luggage check in facilities at Paddington Station for anyone taking the Express to Heathrow but due to lack of use/interest they have ALL gone and the area has since been redeveloped as suggested into a shopping/food mall....last used it about about 5 years ago ... :o

I heard from someone that you will check in your luggage at the airport link station before to go to the airport. Anyone can confirm?

This is Thailand-so you never really know tll its there. there was indeed that plan-ONLY for Thai-and maybe STAR alliance. and maybe some customer-friendly Asian big airlines like cathay or Singy. Certainly not for the other varied smaller airlines. As TG is in dire straits-they may well scrape anything they think is costing them money too much