Visa Question

hello i am 27 year and from belgium i'm coming to thailand in 3 months for 6 months and i want to buy me a car there.

can i buy the car with a tourist visa or do i need a non immigration visa and what documents do i need to get a non immigration visa.

or are they the same as for a tourist visa.

and i have a international driving licens now.

how to get a thai driving licens witch documents and sorts.

thnx

hello i am 27 year and from belgium i'm coming to thailand in 3 months for 6 months and i want to buy me a car there.

can i buy the car with a tourist visa or do i need a non immigration visa and what documents do i need to get a non immigration visa.

thnx

You must have a Non-Immigrant Visa to be able to apply for a Thai Drivers License.

You can buy a car if you pay cash (I think you'd need to show a non-immigrant visa), but if you expect finance you'd need a work permit with an income credit record.

Getting a D/L is not difficult but the documents you need vary from office to office. I got one by presenting my European licence, my passport and a copy of it, plus a fee of about 140 baht. You need to have an eyesight test at the office issuing the licence. Some offices also require a proof of address (in Thailand) certificate. The first licence is valid only 1 year, subsequent ones will be valid 5 years.

thnx

As mentioned the procedure to get a driver licence may slightly vary from office to office.

What is in fact needed is proof of residence and a medical certificate. The proof of residence document you either get from your embassy here in Thailand (at least Swiss people do) or it will be issued by your immigration office in the area you will live in on presenting your Non-O-Visa. A prior visit to your local police station may be necessary too (at least where I live), if immigration has never dealt with you before.

The medical certificate you can obtain inexpensively with a local doctor. Bring along your homeland driver licence and, if available, an International Driver Licence.

thnx

you will transfert the money to your GF?

otherwise it will be a lot of cash that you will carry, even more you may carry without declaring passing the EU border (10.000 euro if i am correct)

most banks here will not allow you to open a bank account without work permit ...

all ... except maybe Kasikorn Bank

you might try to explain with hands and feeth in other banks, that you will transfer a large sum of money, they don't care...