What Do You Drive? How Far Do You Drive?

wjmark

Just looked at my odometer, and started womdering about others here in Chiang Mai

I have a Wave 125 and I have averaged 1000k month for the last 19 months that I have been here.

Once did the Mae Sai run two months in a row. Made it back in 3hr 20min.

Other than that it has mostly been local. Mae Rim, Mae Sai, Pie once.

Don't have no car nor truck... (nor big bike)

===

You?

Less than i used to with gas prices so high. average 13k/yr in my diesel chev truck. Actually saving more money by shopping less and planning more when i do shop to avoid daily trips because we forgot the laundry soap or??

I figured an average trip to town costs over 100bt as we live 25k from cm.

Just looked at my odometer, and started womdering about others here in Chiang Mai

I have a Wave 125 and I have averaged 1000k month for the last 19 months that I have been here.

Once did the Mae Sai run two months in a row. Made it back in 3hr 20min.

Other than that it has mostly been local. Mae Rim, Mae Sai, Pie once.

Don't have no car nor truck... (nor big bike)

===

You?

good thread idea.

I live in town and don't need a car or to sit in traffic.

I use a Honda Wave motorbike for errands and maybe 10,000 KM a year if that.

Sometimes I borrow a friends pickup if I have something large to deal with.

for recreation and exercise I ride a 2001 Moots YBB mountain bike and ride most days to Doi Suthep or Phuping. I ride nearly as many KM's on the bicycle as the motorbike although I never use the bicycle for in town or shopping etc. Too dangerous and stinky.

I reckon with global warming, pollution and super high traffic fatalities in Thailand I find it best to live close to my needs and minimize travel. Additionally I think most people don't realize more energy and thus pollution/energy/carbon is unleashed during the production of the vehicle in addition to fuel usage. Terrible investment also in buying a depreciating asset.

Of course if someone lives in the sticks this would never work. So I appreciate not everyone else living in or near town and driving prices up.

Well, I live somewhat outside of town and used to go to town almost every day. But gas prices have cut those trips down to about 3-4 times a week. I will be switching to LPG so that might help but with the rising prices of LPG I have been considering NGV even with the added hassle that NGV brings with it. I drive a VIOS and used to drive about 1200km a week... about 500km or less now. The only reason to run to town so much before was boredom and with a child just reaching walking age there is so much more to do.

list of my ride

Honda dream (duck tail ) 100cc - all over thailand

Hondadream.jpg

toyota celica Ta22 V6 2000cc - bangkok , pataya , lampang , tak mae sai ,

rubyhome7.jpg

toyota celica Ta22 3tg 1600cc mae sot , tak , lampang , maesai ,

ccmeeting1.jpg

Dutsun Violet rally 1600cc dual carburator mai sai , mea sot , tak , bangkok , many small town no idea i just drive for fun

dt7.jpg

mazda 929 sport coupe SR20DE 2000cc - maesai , maesot , tak , bangkok , maehongson ,

920832917l.jpg

Benz 230 W123 2000cc - bangkok , sukothai , maesai , trat , phayao ,

benznet.jpg

vespa sprint - mae sai , mae hong son , lampang , doi shuthep , doi pui , chang keang

17263971053402l.jpg

toyota Vigo 2500 cc turbo - bangkok , chaingmai , sukothai , nakonsawan , rayong ,

Vigo is every where is the standard G edition

anyway here a net photo i got but mine is silver

article_1076-img_0.jpg

all my ride been to measai count less time .

but my champ is my

Honda dream ,

i had ride it to changkong , lampang , lamphun , tak , trat , kampanphet , ayutaya , mao sot ,maesai , chang sean , theon ,phayao , kanchanaburi , and many more

i hardly look at my meter . and most ride is done relax and usually out just for a ride . no plan just ride out and keep going .

i HAte insect on long ride .. hitting a lotcus at 80km is like catching a bullet with your face .

this new year alonbe i had drove up from bangkok to chiangmai and suko thai 3 time . in fact i am driving up on the 19th again . my new ride now is Vigo but i already got a accident where someone ramp my rear and made a huge dent on the truck end . lucky i'm covered alway get first class insurance if you can it worth it in thailand

serious i enjoy meeting people who enjoy riding and driving :o

new year wish , i hope by april i can get a suzuki jeep caribean 4X4 been hunting and saw some nice car now just waiting to get it after my wedding .. so my wife won't make noise cos i keep buying cars

Edited by Ta22

I just moved here at the end of November from the US. I've started with a brand new Yamaha Nuevo. Coming from the US where we drive on the right-hand/ correct! :o side of the road and with no previous motorbike riding experience to speak of, its been a real challenge! Having already witnessed 3 motorbike accidents in my short time here, it makes me even more "gun shy"..

My drive is currently from Huey Gaew Residence to my office out on Madihol Rd past the first ring rd (about 13 kms each way). The drive is fairly relaxing, other than the occasional overly aggressive driver and dodging of the ocassional elephant being walked down the highway in the dark of night! However, on the days that I am lucky enough to leave the office at a decent hour, seeing the views of Doi Suthep with the sun setting behind it, while motoring along in the warm evening air , is very serene and invigorating experience!

I have a lot of trepidation regarding my abilities to handle my motorbike once the rains come, so I will probably be looking to buy a second hand car soon... I was a Jeep owner back in the US and I would love to have one of the old military style jeeps that I see around town, some day as a secondary car. And call me odd, but I also would love to have a "pimped out" tuk tuk to drive around town too :D

Attached is a somewhat dark picture of my new motorbike :D

I ride a small scooter. It's rented and I don't even know what make or model it is. I've never paid attention to how how far I ride it in a week or month, but a tank of gas, at roughly 80 baht a pop, usually lasts me about a week.

15 month old Isuzu DMax…….. due for a new one very soon as already driven 168,000 km

+ for best/weekends Jazz Sport CVT, but only do about 5,500 year

thats an average of 373.333333 kms per day. wow

plus the jazz mileage

Service for the Jazz = 1x per year

Service for the Isuzu is every month, last week was service No 15.

I just moved here at the end of November from the US. I've started with a brand new Yamaha Nuevo. Coming from the US where we drive on the right-hand/ correct! :o side of the road and with no previous motorbike riding experience to speak of, its been a real challenge! Having already witnessed 3 motorbike accidents in my short time here, it makes me even more "gun shy"..

My drive is currently from Huey Gaew Residence to my office out on Madihol Rd past the first ring rd (about 13 kms each way). The drive is fairly relaxing, other than the occasional overly aggressive driver and dodging of the ocassional elephant being walked down the highway in the dark of night! However, on the days that I am lucky enough to leave the office at a decent hour, seeing the views of Doi Suthep with the sun setting behind it, while motoring along in the warm evening air , is very serene and invigorating experience!

I have a lot of trepidation regarding my abilities to handle my motorbike once the rains come, so I will probably be looking to buy a second hand car soon... I was a Jeep owner back in the US and I would love to have one of the old military style jeeps that I see around town, some day as a secondary car. And call me odd, but I also would love to have a "pimped out" tuk tuk to drive around town too :D

Attached is a somewhat dark picture of my new motorbike :D

What is 'correct' for you is not correct for most of the drivers in the world.

FYI, although more countries drive on the right than the left, more DRIVERS drive on the left. The list of nations which 'keep left' is staggering.

The US may be the world's self appointed policeman, but it will never be the world's Traffic policeman, thank God. Here in Thailand, open your mind and keep 3 eyes on your mirrors!

CBR 150 and a Wave 100 S.

Happily with motorbikes, there is no issue of left hand vs. right hand drive.

BTW, for world population statistics on right vs. left, see this link.

According to this source, counting probable drivers (not national populations) left hand drivers make up approximately 1/3, right hand drivers 2/3 worldwide.