Ip Star Questions...

ManInSurat

Well, I have been using DTAC GPRS to connect to the internet through my mobile, which, as I'm sure you can all imagine or have experienced can be very slow and unpredictable. I get a maximum speed of 27 kbps d/l at the very fastest.

Most aircards are useless to me due to my location and still do not offer the speeds I would like to have.

I have been waiting for what feels like an eternity to get an ADSL connection even with having the mia do all the talking and it being set up in her name. I've pretty much given up the idea of getting a phone line any time before the next millennium celebrations.

The only real alternative I think I have is IP Star.

What I was wondering if there's anyone that uses the service on a daily basis. I have my own home-run business and the most important aspect of the connection I have is its reliability.

Given that IP Star is via a satellite and that satellites are affected by weather, does this mean that the service is likely to be knocked out by adverse weather conditions? Thailand is a notoriously rainy country!

Also could anyone tell me the prices for IP Star. The installation fee, monthly fees and any other associated fees would be a big help. I do have an IP Star office in Surat, just that I don't really have the time to make a visit at the moment.

Do you have to have a receiver dish on the outside of your home?

All answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

ManInSurat Out :o

Well, I have been using DTAC GPRS to connect to the internet through my mobile, which, as I'm sure you can all imagine or have experienced can be very slow and unpredictable. I get a maximum speed of 27 kbps d/l at the very fastest.

Most aircards are useless to me due to my location and still do not offer the speeds I would like to have.

I have been waiting for what feels like an eternity to get an ADSL connection even with having the mia do all the talking and it being set up in her name. I've pretty much given up the idea of getting a phone line any time before the next millennium celebrations.

The only real alternative I think I have is IP Star.

What I was wondering if there's anyone that uses the service on a daily basis. I have my own home-run business and the most important aspect of the connection I have is its reliability.

Given that IP Star is via a satellite and that satellites are affected by weather, does this mean that the service is likely to be knocked out by adverse weather conditions? Thailand is a notoriously rainy country!

Also could anyone tell me the prices for IP Star. The installation fee, monthly fees and any other associated fees would be a big help. I do have an IP Star office in Surat, just that I don't really have the time to make a visit at the moment.

Do you have to have a receiver dish on the outside of your home?

All answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

ManInSurat Out :o

Well, I got IPStar from Tot. 512 down and 215 up. It sort of works. But have to restart the sat modem a couple of times a day. I can browse websites, do my email and blogging, download what ever I need (don't bother with torrents, I am talking smaller aplications), video chat with my folks in Norway.

The package I have comes at 2200 baht a month, and it was a 2000 baht install fee I think...

The sat dish is about 1,5 meters in diameter, and will have to be bolted down, preferably in a concrete base. Weather wise I dont know how it will hold up. Got it after the rainy season. But there have been some minutes or even hours where the signal quality has been to low to stay connected.

If yo totally rely on it for business....well, if it is not critical that you are able to conect every second of the day, then its ok. But keep your GPRS asa reserve.

ToT hada crash the other day, where they where out Thailand wide (or so their support people said). AFter that the conection has been sort of dodgy. But on the up side. After that I was able to connect with youtube without using a proxy server.

Hi

We installed IPSTAR with TOT in December 2007. Package is 512/128kbs - coporate and the speed test on 6/12/07 - 475/84 & 487/93kbs. The dish was installed on the balcony of the second level of our house. We are located in Central Thailand 2 hours north of BKK. Installation for us was 2140baht and 1700baht per month. So far we have had few problems with it, but there has been occassions when the signal dropped out. The technician did advise us that the weather does affect the signal, but because our dish is high up and there are no huge trees around us, there should be little problems with the signal. Hope this helps.

Makyai

I installed IPStar/ Loxinfo last week.

I pay 1500 Baht per month for the 256kbps package, on a speedtest I actually got that speed too!

For an extra 500 baht per month I also had UBC Platinum Package thrown in, though I had to pay 12500 for the dish and dream box. UBC Platinum package is 2000 + Baht per month usually, I feel its not a bad deal. The UBC signal goes through the IPstar modem, and will not work independently.

Edited by Maigo6