Thai Airways To Open Bangkok - Samui Flights

george

Thai Airways to open Bangkok-Samui flights

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (Thai) will inaugurate daily Bangkok-Samui flights on February 15, according to Chaisak Angkasuwan, director-general of the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA).

Mr. Chaisak said the DCA on Thursday morning met executives of the national flag carrier and Bangkok Airways, a private firm which owns Samui airport.

After the meeting, he told journalists that starting from mid-February, Thai Airways would offer passengers two flights a day from Suvarnabhumi airport to Samui airport.

The opening of the new route is in line with the policy of the Transport Ministry to give more alternatives to passengers.

The airfare is expected to be similar to that currently offered by Bangkok Airways.

The new route is expected to be popular among foreign tourists as they will be able to travel by a direct flight from Suvarnbhumi to Samui's tourist destinations in the southern province of Surat Thani.

--TNA 2008-01-18

Related travel links:

- Flights: http://travel.thaivisa.com

- Hotels: http://hotels.thaivisa.com

- Car Rentals: http://carrentals.thaivisa.com

I thought Bangkok Airways had a monoploy to Samui - seeing as how they built the infrastructure?

Just another example of the corrupt coup leaders moving the goal posts.

State owned monopolys rock man!!!!!

It's difficult to see what this has to do with state owned monopolies, since it has been a private monopoly for years. The state owned Thai Airways are the one representing new competition here, while Bangkok Airways have done all they can to keep the prices on that route on a maximum level. So much so that Thai Airways at one stage considered building a second airport at Koh Samui. The present airport is too small (too short runway) to accommodate the 737s of Thai Airways, or at least that has been the official reason not to fly there previously.

I thought Bangkok Airways had a monoploy to Samui - seeing as how they built the infrastructure?

Firefly airlines have been flying Samui - Penang for several months now.

[

The opening of the new route is in line with the policy of the Transport Ministry to give more alternatives to passengers.

The airfare is expected to be similar to that currently offered by Bangkok Airways.

YEAH RIGHT...More alternatives?..the flight is from Suvanaboom to Samui...the fare will be the same as Bangkok Airways already hugely over inflated fare price...lets all give these people a huge pat on the back for doing absolutely nothing for joe public, who are clearly being ripped off at 4300 baht per time for a 50 minute flight

Seems that thai airways are just wetting their beak, whilst Bangkok airways can now save face and say they are allowing competition

Thanks for nothing

It's difficult to see what this has to do with state owned monopolies, since it has been a private monopoly for years. The state owned Thai Airways are the one representing new competition here, while Bangkok Airways have done all they can to keep the prices on that route on a maximum level. So much so that Thai Airways at one stage considered building a second airport at Koh Samui. The present airport is too small (too short runway) to accommodate the 737s of Thai Airways, or at least that has been the official reason not to fly there previously.

Hi I live and work here I have a residents card( gives you discount on main time flights) but the food is crap, they delay at the drop of a hat, 3 hours last time, they hold flights back, oh yeh and they call it the bOutique Airline, yeh go on, I emailed 10 directors they said sorry, as in I suggested making the food more Thai, as in Kaow Pad, fried rice, easy and most people eat it, no they give you card board sarnies and pastries and dodgy sausages!

It will not change and yes Thai airways land where.....oh Don Muang !doh! :o

Ciao

The new route is expected to be popular among foreign tourists as they will be able to travel by a direct flight from Suvarnbhumi to Samui's tourist destinations in the southern province of Surat Thani.

This is nonsense. All Bangkok Airways flights from Bangkok to Samui operate out of Suvarnbhumi - direct, so what is new here? Bangkok Airways make a fortune on this route - check out the daytime rate of over THB 4200 per person one way for a one hour flight. (Oh, and add 300 baht more if you are flying from Samui for their airport tax).

For some years now the government has leaned on Bangkok Air to open up their airport to other carriers, but their view is that they built it in the first place therefore why should they. The government then talks of building a second, public airport and so Bangkok Air gives way a little bit and allows Thai Air to operate two flight a day. But Bangkok Air, being owners of the airport set the landing fees for Thai Air at a premium, thus forcing Thai Air to charge a similar rate to Bangkok Air in order to make a profit! So who benefits here? certainly not the passenger unless they are fussy who they fly with!

Bangkok Air currently allows Berjaya Air to run two flight per week to KL from Samui, and Fireflyz to Penang more frequently. But don't expect Bangkok Air to give way too much on the very lucrative BKK - USM route anytime soon or in the long run.

By the way, for a family of four coming to Samui for a holiday and flying Bangkok to Samui return, the total cost is 35,200 baht (including departure tax) !!

Small wonder everyone is going to Phuket instead......

Thai Airways to open Bangkok-Samui flights

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (Thai) will inaugurate daily Bangkok-Samui flights on February 15, according to Chaisak Angkasuwan, director-general of the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA).

>>>>>>>>>>>

--TNA 2008-01-18

Ciao

Looks like someone did not read the OP fully, or not believe what was reported by The Nation

Same Thai Cartel - same prices - excellent competition. It is Code Shared ??

Ciao

doh?

"After the meeting, he told journalists that starting from mid-February, Thai Airways would offer passengers two flights a day from Suvarnabhumi airport to Samui airport."

This is nonsense. All Bangkok Airways flights from Bangkok to Samui operate out of Suvarnbhumi - direct, so what is new here? Bangkok Airways make a fortune on this route - check out the daytime rate of over THB 4200 per person one way for a one hour flight. (Oh, and add 300 baht more if you are flying from Samui for their airport tax).

For some years now the government has leaned on Bangkok Air to open up their airport to other carriers, but their view is that they built it in the first place therefore why should they. The government then talks of building a second, public airport and so Bangkok Air gives way a little bit and allows Thai Air to operate two flight a day. But Bangkok Air, being owners of the airport set the landing fees for Thai Air at a premium, thus forcing Thai Air to charge a similar rate to Bangkok Air in order to make a profit! So who benefits here? certainly not the passenger unless they are fussy who they fly with!

Bangkok Air currently allows Berjaya Air to run two flight per week to KL from Samui, and Fireflyz to Penang more frequently. But don't expect Bangkok Air to give way too much on the very lucrative BKK - USM route anytime soon or in the long run.

By the way, for a family of four coming to Samui for a holiday and flying Bangkok to Samui return, the total cost is 35,200 baht (including departure tax) !!

Small wonder everyone is going to Phuket instead......

Dead right and I was wrong, sorry, I was feeding the buffalo and reading, multi taskin is not my strong point... they do go to The New airport, put your hand in front of your face, yep that is far as they can see!

Amazing Thailand.......

Lov it here!

This is nonsense. All Bangkok Airways flights from Bangkok to Samui operate out of Suvarnbhumi - direct, so what is new here?

What's new is that tourists can book flights from Europe or the USA direct to Samui, stopover in BKK. Luggage checked through, one ticket purchased instead of two, deals with delays, etc. Major added convenience. But only for the "national flag carrier". National airlines are such a stupid idea, but nevertheless the concept is practiced all over the world. A country should provide the legal framework and incentives for Airlines to be started and to succeed, but not run an airline.

I don't think BHT 4000 is all that overpriced - if you don't like it you could fly to the mainland and take the ferry.

I don't like that there are no Nok Air or AirAsia flights for 1000 Baht to Samui either - but that's not something one can really force on a private operator of an airport. BKK air built it, they can do whatever they want with it.

Thailand could build another one, the airport on Samui, despite being extended right now is really tiny, building another one like that would not be all that expensive. A big old landing strip and some buildings is all it is. Add some coconut palms and you have a Samui Airport.

The main problem with Samui is that everything is owned by the mafia so the streets don't get improved and all that tourist money is not invested to improve the infrastructure but rather goes into somebodys pocket. And the taxi fares remain completely and ridiculously overpriced. Thats the main thing that holds Samui back economically. Not BKK airlines.

This is nonsense. All Bangkok Airways flights from Bangkok to Samui operate out of Suvarnbhumi - direct, so what is new here?

What's new is that tourists can book flights from Europe or the USA direct to Samui, stopover in BKK. Luggage checked through, one ticket purchased instead of two, deals with delays, etc. Major added convenience. But only for the "national flag carrier".

Well, sorry but i have to correct you there.....Bangkok Airways has agreements with most major national carriers allowing checked through baggage in both directions, and they have had such agreements in place for a long time.

Secondly, buying two tickets is no major deal these days - it is just a reference number. Thirdly, how many of the incoming long haul flights will actually connect time wise to the two thai airways flights to samui, and also the return leg? If a thai air flight from London arrives in bangkok in the afternoon but the thai air flight to samui leaves 9PM, i have to say that would be seen as a convenience to some!

What's new is that tourists can book flights from Europe or the USA direct to Samui, stopover in BKK. Luggage checked through, one ticket purchased instead of two, deals with delays, etc. Major added convenience. But only for the "national flag carrier". National airlines are such a stupid idea, but nevertheless the concept is practiced all over the world. A country should provide the legal framework and incentives for Airlines to be started and to succeed, but not run an airline.

I don't think BHT 4000 is all that overpriced - if you don't like it you could fly to the mainland and take the ferry.

I don't like that there are no Nok Air or AirAsia flights for 1000 Baht to Samui either - but that's not something one can really force on a private operator of an airport. BKK air built it, they can do whatever they want with it.

Thailand could build another one, the airport on Samui, despite being extended right now is really tiny, building another one like that would not be all that expensive. A big old landing strip and some buildings is all it is. Add some coconut palms and you have a Samui Airport.

The main problem with Samui is that everything is owned by the mafia so the streets don't get improved and all that tourist money is not invested to improve the infrastructure but rather goes into somebodys pocket. And the taxi fares remain completely and ridiculously overpriced. Thats the main thing that holds Samui back economically. Not BKK airlines.

Please explain " everything is owned by the mafia " . Are you are refering to the Thai's , there are many concerned local people that know of the many problems on Samui and things will change in future but in no way is it Mafia ! In politics and government there are those that will take advantage but there are also a lot of good people trying to do the right thing now working behind the scenes .

I don't like that there are no Nok Air or AirAsia flights for 1000 Baht to Samui either -

Kind of says it all really...........! Blatant contradiction!

You can fly to Samui for 2,000 one way on the first & last flights. Not too bad! You also get one free flight for every ten if you join the flyer bonus club.

Also the Bangkok Air lounges, with free coffee, drinks, snacks, internet, comfy seats etc, offer a far more superior service than any other airline in it's league.

The Bangkok Air lounges at SVBUM are far better than the Cathay Pacific business class lounge and quite a few others. You can change your ticket even if you checked in late and missed your flight.

Try doing that on any UK airline and see what happens.

The staff are always nice too considering some of the falang scum who live on Samui they have to deal with. Compare their staff to the sour faced, old hags you get in Europe.

If Anyone knows of a better local airline, then pelase let me know.

Please explain " everything is owned by the mafia " . Are you are refering to the Thai's , there are many concerned local people that know of the many problems on Samui and things will change in future but in no way is it Mafia ! In politics and government there are those that will take advantage but there are also a lot of good people trying to do the right thing now working behind the scenes .

Well, if nikster is under the impression that the taxes collected and distributed by the Surat Thani provincial govt is somehow mafia controlled, well, he is sadly mistaken. Unfortunately for Samui (and Phangan and Tao) the islands' tax revenue is sent to Surat Thani and it is the Provincial govt that deems how infrastructure (such as road work) is improved (or not).

Regardless, none of which has anything to do with a privately built and owned airport allowing Thai Air flights.

Although Samui is not 'controlled' by the mafia, they certainly have a huge influence on the island and take huge revenues directly/indirectly from vital infrastructure improvements, and you are foolish if you think otherwise.

As for the airport Bangkok airways built in, own it and quite frankly should be able to do what they want with it. If you don't want to pay the fares get the ferry. Thats how capitalism works after all.

However as is happening in the Uk there are anti competition laws, which seem a little communist in my humble opinion. It does give you slightly more choice and you can earn star alliance rewards etc.. but as previously stated the price is the same!!

Samui is too full anyway, so clearly the expensive flights are not putting too many people off.

nonsense...the govt is Thai Air...they have been pressuring Bkk Air for several years (long before the coup) to open up the Samui route ...but as anyone knows in Thailand this involves the "men in grey suits"....and I'm sure Thai would love a piece of this pie...I can't see there being any genuine competition though...they'll just charge the same as Bkk Air....compare this to flights of a similar distance and it's verging on exorbitant. The Men-in-gray have allowedBkk Air to do their own thing for a long time....but even they can't condone a rampantly exclusive deal like that forever.

Any other airline flying into Bkk Airs airports is usually non- Thai and not a real competitor just a fee-paying extension to their monopolistic enterprises.

You can fly to Samui for 2,000 one way on the first & last flights. Not too bad! You also get one free flight for every ten if you join the flyer bonus club.

Also the Bangkok Air lounges, with free coffee, drinks, snacks, internet, comfy seats etc, offer a far more superior service than any other airline in it's league.

The Bangkok Air lounges at SVBUM are far better than the Cathay Pacific business class lounge and quite a few others. You can change your ticket even if you checked in late and missed your flight.

Try doing that on any UK airline and see what happens.

The staff are always nice too considering some of the falang scum who live on Samui they have to deal with. Compare their staff to the sour faced, old hags you get in Europe.

If Anyone knows of a better local airline, then pelase let me know.

It was the govt under Taksin that insisted Bkk Air offered some discounts on their flights or their monopoly would be ended. They may "own" the airport but there's plenty of government approval needed to allow it to operate.

as for the (ridiculously) short runway, I was told that it had been extended to allow larger jets to land about a year ago.

These are some of the reasons why I don't go to Samui. When I used to work in Bangkok I visited Samui in '94. The flights were a lot cheaper then too. It was nice, and I had a good time. I went back in '99 for a few days and couldn't stand it. It had gone downhill really fast. It was no longer a nice tropical island. I can only imagine what it is like now.

Although Samui is not 'controlled' by the mafia, they certainly have a huge influence on the island and take huge revenues directly/indirectly from vital infrastructure improvements, and you are foolish if you think otherwise.

As for the airport Bangkok airways built in, own it and quite frankly should be able to do what they want with it. If you don't want to pay the fares get the ferry. Thats how capitalism works after all.

However as is happening in the Uk there are anti competition laws, which seem a little communist in my humble opinion. It does give you slightly more choice and you can earn star alliance rewards etc.. but as previously stated the price is the same!!

Samui is too full anyway, so clearly the expensive flights are not putting too many people off.

Not really a capitalistic approach...more a monopoly. No matter! I haven't been to Samui for three years; too many drunk farang driving on the wrong side of the road, so as with many others, I find pleasure in Phuket.