Crackdown On Phuket Beach Food Vendors

george

Chairat launches Patong beach food crackdown

PATONG, PHUKET: -- : Patong Municipality has warned Patong beach vendors against cooking and selling food on the beach, saying violators will be arrested.

“If we find any vendors selling food on the beach we will arrest them. Only drinks can be sold on the beach and all vendors doing so must pay a tax and trash-collection fee to the municipality,” said Chairat Sukkaban, Deputy Mayor of Patong Municipality.

“Any vendors caught breaking the regulation will have their beach chair and umbrella stand concession revoked. Next week, I am going to file a report asking for help from the District Office and Provincial Office. I will also ask police to monitor the area,” he added.

Seri Mekcharoenniwattana, from Narathiwat, who has been a vendor on Patong beach for more than 15 years, said, “I know the municipality has talked to us many times [about selling food], but some people are still cooking food on the beach.

“I don’t want to blame anyone because I understand that they just want to make money. I always follow the rules, I pay tax every year and pay the fee for trash every six months.

“I think that cleanliness is the most important of aspect of a tourist destination. Cooking is not suitable on the beach. It’s a place to relax, not cook. When tourists are hungry they can walk up to the footpath, where there are many vendors,” said K. Seri.

“I would like all vendors to respect the rules, because it is good for both us and the government officers,” he added.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pol Maj Gen Decha Budnampeth told the Gazette that he hoped the municipality, as the local body with jurisdiction, would try to settle the matter before involving the police.

--Phuket Gazette 2008-01-18

but I guess all the big businesses want to profit...

Have to vehemently disagree with you here. Here's why;

1. The smoke and smells from the beach cooking often blows into the the swarms of beach goers and doesn't make for a pleasant environment.

2. Cooking refuse drippings etc. often goes onto the beach rendering the surrounding areas dirty, smelly and unpleasant.

3. Small cooking setups are often dependent upon portable gas containers etc. Humour me here, it's also a bit of a health & safety issue.

4. It is unfair to the vendors on the beach and up from the beach that are following the regulations and that that are paying their taxes.

All that the regulations are trying to do is to make the beach a more pleasant area for everyone. The guys cooking on the beach are getting a free ride while the law abiding folks are getting punished for following the rules.

Does anyone else find Thai beaches pretty much unusable due to all the vendors?

Not the food vendors per se, but all the wandering vendors selling every kind of crap imaginable. Even if you have your eyes closed they'll tug on your arm to wake you up to ask if you want to buy a plastic kite.

Having to say "My ow krap. My Ow krap. MY OW KRAP! MY OW! MY OW!! I DON'T WANT A F*CKING WOODEN FROG!!!"

Every 60 seconds totally ruins the relaxation aspect of being on the beach

Some Sri Lankan beaches have a rope and the vendors must sell behind the rope. If the holidaymakers want to view the goods they can come to the "vending line". They have security guards preventing the vendors crossing the line. Bet this happens some places here now.

He be far better off clearing out all the annoying tailors in Phuket.

Chairat launches Patong beach food crackdown

PATONG, PHUKET: -- : Patong Municipality has warned Patong beach vendors against cooking and selling food on the beach, saying violators will be arrested.

“If we find any vendors selling food on the beach we will arrest them. Only drinks can be sold on the beach and all vendors doing so must pay a tax and trash-collection fee to the municipality,” said Chairat Sukkaban, Deputy Mayor of Patong Municipality.

“Any vendors caught breaking the regulation will have their beach chair and umbrella stand concession revoked. Next week, I am going to file a report asking for help from the District Office and Provincial Office. I will also ask police to monitor the area,” he added.

Seri Mekcharoenniwattana, from Narathiwat, who has been a vendor on Patong beach for more than 15 years, said, “I know the municipality has talked to us many times [about selling food], but some people are still cooking food on the beach.

“I don’t want to blame anyone because I understand that they just want to make money. I always follow the rules, I pay tax every year and pay the fee for trash every six months.

“I think that cleanliness is the most important of aspect of a tourist destination. Cooking is not suitable on the beach. It’s a place to relax, not cook. When tourists are hungry they can walk up to the footpath, where there are many vendors,” said K. Seri.

“I would like all vendors to respect the rules, because it is good for both us and the government officers,” he added.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pol Maj Gen Decha Budnampeth told the Gazette that he hoped the municipality, as the local body with jurisdiction, would try to settle the matter before involving the police.

--Phuket Gazette 2008-01-18

Not the food vendors per se, but all the wandering vendors selling every kind of crap imaginable. Even if you have your eyes closed they'll tug on your arm to wake you up to ask if you want to buy a plastic kite.

Having to say "My ow krap. My Ow krap. MY OW KRAP! MY OW! MY OW!! I DON'T WANT A F*CKING WOODEN FROG!!!"

Apart from a few secluded areas there really is no such thing as a relaxing day at the beach in Thailand. The best you can do is purchase a drink and some deep fried shrimp then take a nap. This will at least get them off your back for 20 minutes.

I agree. It's hard to relax when you want to strangel some rude vendor every few minutes.

So true :o Same on a bar stool too close to the road, shoving their tray

of silly plastic sun specs etc. into your back.

Naka.

I don’t know if this is coincidence but the word ‘crackdown’ was absent from the media a for a long time. And just hours after the PPP was cleared to govern and thus resetting the heads from looking at the politicians to now looking at everyone else.

I don’t know if this is coincidence but the word ‘crackdown’ was absent from the media a for a long time. And just hours after the PPP was cleared to govern and thus resetting the heads from looking at the politicians to now looking at everyone else.

Declaring the country to soon be the hub of this and the hub of that was also absent from the media.

You can expect more stupid hub announcements with TRT Service Pack 2, PPP.

but I guess all the big businesses want to profit...

Have to vehemently disagree with you here. Here's why;

1. The smoke and smells from the beach cooking often blows into the the swarms of beach goers and doesn't make for a pleasant environment.

2. Cooking refuse drippings etc. often goes onto the beach rendering the surrounding areas dirty, smelly and unpleasant.

3. Small cooking setups are often dependent upon portable gas containers etc. Humour me here, it's also a bit of a health & safety issue.

4. It is unfair to the vendors on the beach and up from the beach that are following the regulations and that that are paying their taxes.

All that the regulations are trying to do is to make the beach a more pleasant area for everyone. The guys cooking on the beach are getting a free ride while the law abiding folks are getting punished for following the rules.

I agree with this 100 percent. It is just an issue of good planning and policy, which is what good development and modernization is all about. I don't think he wants to banish them, but they do need to find a place off of the beach where they can sell their food, and not litter the natural environment and create safety hazards.

Apart from a few secluded areas there really is no such thing as a relaxing day at the beach in Thailand. The best you can do is purchase a drink and some deep fried shrimp then take a nap. This will at least get them off your back for 20 minutes.

Yes, and once you wake up and go for a swim, in some places you have to be as vigilant in the water as on a major street intersection in Bangkok, with all the unregulated jet skis and boat crossings. They really need to tackle this issue, and in most cases a viable alternative for all involved is incredibly easy, if people thought it was worth a few thoughts and enforcements.

This is what really upsets me to be honest; going for a relaxing swim with the fear of being decapitated if you let your guard down.

The food vendors at the beach in Hua Hin are a huge part of the experience there. Sitting in my beach chair under an umbrella being served Ice cold beer and snacks is awesome.

The "smoke and smells" wafting over beachgoers is like a warm delicious breeze to me.

And the beach is still beautiful.

Lighten up.

The food vendors at the beach in Hua Hin are a huge part of the experience there. Sitting in my beach chair under an umbrella being served Ice cold beer and snacks is awesome.The "smoke and smells" wafting over beachgoers is like a warm delicious breeze to me.And the beach is still beautiful.Lighten up.

The article refers to Patong. The beach is as orderly as Bangla, our local champs elysee.

Never been to Hua Hin, but I can tell you Patong Beach is in a sad state compared to Karon beach down the road. I was walking along a couple weeks ago and was nearly decapitated by one of those lardbutts parasailing.

Does this mean that vendors selling pre-packaged food items are also banned?

They did this in Pattaya years ago and it was a negative effect on beach time for me. :o

I do however agree with banning cooking on the beach.

A big bowl of "Pedigree Chum" to all those wonderful doggies on Koh Chang in the last week who barked the vendors away every time they approached. I might not mind - but they were selling absolute crap.(the vendors that is) I like the idea of roped off areas - Samui, Chaweng needs them for sure. One up for the canines - they not only are the best security at our apartment building in Bangkok,(the humans are always crashed out) but do a great job on the beaches. DDP? Democratic Dog Party -I'd vote for 'em.