Patong Hill 3 Killed

phuketrex

Tragic accident on the hill yesterday. 3 Thais killed in a small car crushed by a cement truck. Unconfirmed as it has come from my landlord.

Completely seperate incident to the bus full of Israeli tourists that crashed and overturned on the hill early evening I believe.

I hate that hill!

I suppose an appropriate artistic rendition of the hill would be to have the Grim Geaper peering down. I hate the hill as well and have seen some of the oddest of incidents such as the flatbed truck that lost its load of metal bars and scattered on the road as well as going through the windshield of a following auto. ( Dec. 27 I think) For added adventure you get the speeding buses and tailgating 4X4s.

ed. fonts - sorry

Edited by geriatrickid

At least the hill is far better than it used to be not all that many years ago - and, of course, the improvements are ongoing. When it used to be a potholed lane each way for the whole distance, that's when you really got to hate the cement trucks, buses and everything else that either crawled up at snail's pace or waited until it found prime position to break down.

I was surprised how steep it is. I was in a pick-up with plenty of torque, but even at that time I wondered about scores of tourists who attempt that on a rented moped and find themselves in the wrong gear, with traffic behind them (and on-coming).. Scary.

Is there a reason not to blast a big hole in that hill to make the road less steep?

Is there a reason not to blast a big hole in that hill to make the road less steep?

Actually, instead of improving the road, the plan is to build a larger temple at the top. By doing this, more people will beep their horns. Thus recieving more thanks from Buddha, and less people will be involved in accidents.

Makes perfect sense...right?

JL

Money and compitance... money and compitance :o

Harebrained notion. Or perhaps a pittance of common sense.* On par with the concept someone tried to sell Jed Clampett about building fans to blow the smog away from Beverly Hills. Although Jethro Bodine was willing, fortunately Miss Hathaway was there to warn Mr. Drysdale. Good old Jane.

(*sp: competence - Just to help those who's 1st language is not english, not to be a snot.)

I was surprised how steep it is. I was in a pick-up with plenty of torque, but even at that time I wondered about scores of tourists who attempt that on a rented moped and find themselves in the wrong gear, with traffic behind them (and on-coming).. Scary.

No, the tunnel will obviate that need.

Edited by Ping