What Visa

hi everybody, i am a british citezen 32 years old, i have travelled to thailand several times in the last few years, i am engaged to a thai lady and want to return next year for up to a year. i will be living on savings and need advice on my best visa option . can i get a non immigrant class o visa? or do i have to get a 60 day tourist visa? and can i get multiple entry visas?

thank you in advance for your help

In my experience it is very difficult to get a non-emigrant visa. Being engaged is by no means grounds for one. The easiest type of visa is a “special investor” visa. If you have 3million Baht to wire to your savings account in Thailand into a government-owned Bank (not a private bank, such as Bangkok Bank, but a government owned one, such as Thai Military, for example), Immigration will grant you a one-year visa. You can even change a tourist visa in this case, but this can only be done by immigration in Bangkok.

You can also come with a tourist visa (60 days) and it can be extended for 30 days first time and 14 days second time at the local immigration in Chiang mai, where you plan to stay. Then, you’d have to go out of Thailand and get another visa like this and do it all over again. This ma also give you a better idea of your girlfriend and once you get married, you can get a non-immigrant visa type “O” outside of Thailand by presenting your marriage certificate. Once I Thailand, you can get a one-year visa “to support Thai wife”, but you’ll need to deposit 800,000 baht in any local Bank.

Hope this helps.

Apply to the Thai Consulate in Hull they/ll give you a 1yr Non Imm O multiple entry (95 pound) state your reason as visiting family and friends. You/ll need a letter of guarantee...........can be completed by anyone in the UK (mother/father?).......If you go to the Hull Thai Consulate website it has all the details and a form letter that you can use for the Guarantee. :o

I would give Hull or one of the other small consulates a call and ask their specific requirements as it is not the same every place. Believe most are understanding and will try to help you.

If you had to use tourist visa you should be able to get 2 or 3 entry type which would, with extensions, cover the better part of your stay.

Once I Thailand, you can get a one-year visa “to support Thai wife”, but you’ll need to deposit 800,000 baht in any local Bank.

Hope this helps.

Just a slight correction that the amount is 400k not 800k for support of a Thai wife.

I would give Hull or one of the other small consulates a call and ask their specific requirements as it is not the same every place.

Lop.......ive never known anyone been turned down by Hull for a Non Imm visa (shouldnt be telling to many people as i use Hull!). He could give them a call, but really there is no point and he might make it more difficult for himself.........I/d advise him just to apply. :o

In regards to the "kee wee" ###### who over stayed for two years, I just hope they don't nab you at the airport, throw you in jail and lose the key. Rules of the land are made so that people like you can flaut them, then ask for somebody else to help out with your dilema and stuff it up for other law abiding people. [/color]

In regards to the "kee wee" ###### who over stayed for two years, I just hope they don't nab you at the airport, throw you in jail and lose the key. Rules of the land are made so that people like you can flaut them, then ask for somebody else to help out with your dilema and stuff it up for other law abiding people. [/color]

:o:D

I would give Hull or one of the other small consulates a call and ask their specific requirements as it is not the same every place.

Lop.......ive never known anyone been turned down by Hull for a Non Imm visa (shouldnt be telling to many people as i use Hull!). He could give them a call, but really there is no point and he might make it more difficult for himself.........I/d advise him just to apply. :o

Agree. Was typing when you posted about web site so did not see your post until later and have never looked for web site so was not sure if they had or not.

hi thank you all for your help, it looks like my best option would be to get a tourist visa.

is it possible to get a multiple entry 60 day tourist visa? if so how?

i will be useing the thai embassy in london as it is nearest my home.

also how do you open a thai bank account? what id do you need?

thank you again for your help

You do know you can apply by post dont you? If you apply to London they probably will only give you a double entry tourist visa (with 3 month validity......i.e to use the 2 entries) that/ll give you 180 days here with 1 border crossing............if you apply to Hull they are more easy going and may give you a quadruple entry tourist visa with 12 months validity that/ll give you a year stay with border crossings at the 90, 180 and 270 day stage.........I/d apply to Hull if i was you!

Might be some disagreement on this one ........i opened mine on the back of a tourist visa and my passport as I.D...........seems to vary from bank to bank.......some require a Non Imm visa to open an account. Anyone else?

thank you all, big thanks thai flyer,

didn't no you could apply by post i will give your suggestion a go. and have a look at the hull office.

and have a go with bank accounts when i return

thank you all can't wait to return to the land of smiles!!!!!!

:o

In my experience it is very difficult to get a non-emigrant visa. Being engaged is by no means grounds for one. The easiest type of visa is a “special investor” visa. If you have 3million Baht to wire to your savings account in Thailand into a government-owned Bank (not a private bank, such as Bangkok Bank, but a government owned one, such as Thai Military, for example), Immigration will grant you a one-year visa. You can even change a tourist visa in this case, but this can only be done by immigration in Bangkok.

You can also come with a tourist visa (60 days) and it can be extended for 30 days first time and 14 days second time at the local immigration in Chiang mai, where you plan to stay. Then, you’d have to go out of Thailand and get another visa like this and do it all over again. This ma also give you a better idea of your girlfriend and once you get married, you can get a non-immigrant visa type “O” outside of Thailand by presenting your marriage certificate. Once I Thailand, you can get a one-year visa “to support Thai wife”, but you’ll need to deposit 800,000 baht in any local Bank.

Hope this helps.

That is some very sound advice from a newbie, good job. That special investor visa is easy in every respect that you mention so long as you have the 3 mil baht kicking around. The nice thing about that visa is being able to convert a tourist to that visa right in bkk. no leaving the country

if that dudes story is true then it just aint right, I tell you, and you wonder why imm has crackdowns

Might be some disagreement on this one ........i opened mine on the back of a tourist visa and my passport as I.D...........seems to vary from bank to bank.......some require a Non Imm visa to open an account. Anyone else?

Bangkok Bank is cool to open a savings acct with an ATM card using passport as ID with tourist visa. Other banks are known to give problems opening accts without working papes. BKK Bank opened one for me on a tourist visa in July.

Only problem with the investor visa is your tieing up 3 mil baht when you could get a better return on it invested elsewhere........i can appreciate it can be difficult to obtain a Non Imm visa in some parts of the world......we are lucky in the Uk in having the Hull office.

yes indeed that is a huge problen unless you are a millionaire or something

Simba,

I go along with unbiasedbob. I opened an account at Bangkok Bank with nothing but a 30 day entry stamp in my passport. They also offered me a Visa Card, which I foolishly turned down. If you decide on this bank, I would suggest that you also apply for their Bualuang Card. Especially if you plan to keep the account after you leave Thailand. With this card you can do internet banking with them.

Without it all business must be conducted within Thailand, in person. They will not send you a statement or give you information about your account over the phone. You can not even apply for this card once you leave Thailand. At least this has been my experience. Someone else may have some further information to add.

Simba,

I go along with unbiasedbob. I opened an account at Bangkok Bank with nothing but a 30 day entry stamp in my passport. They also offered me a Visa Card, which I foolishly turned down. If you decide on this bank, I would suggest that you also apply for their Bualuang Card. Especially if you plan to keep the account after you leave Thailand. With this card you can do internet banking with them.

Without it all business must be conducted within Thailand, in person. They will not send you a statement or give you information about your account over the phone. You can not even apply for this card once you leave Thailand. At least this has been my experience. Someone else may have some further information to add.

Just for the record, curveblade, I did inquire about internet banking when I opened my account here at the sukhumvit branch of BKK Bank and was told I was not eligible. That was in early July '04

Bob,

I opened my account near the end of May 2004. Also at the sukumvit branch.

Did they give you a reason for the denial?

Bob may have other info but this is what their web site says:

With a long-term visa and a work permit or a Certificate of Residence, you can apply for access to our additional banking services like phone banking, mobile phone banking and internet banking.