Airport Taxi

mohinga

I apologise for trying the patience of the elders here with a question that has probably been answered many times before... but I'm in a bit of a rush, and cannot search for previous posts. I'm not familiar with the new airport, and want to be able to tell relatives how to get a taxi to their hotel without getting ripped-off too badly. They are arriving Thursday from Luangphrabang, and will be going to the Shangrila (lucky them!). Is there a taxi queue where one can buy a ticket and be sure of getting a fair price, and a driver who knows where the major hotels are? Thanks...

taxi stand is now outside the arrivals hall, with ticket desks there, with a similar set up to Don Muang.

Get in line, get a ticket and tell the person you are going to the Shangri - La hotel.

There have been more reports that the desk people will try and give you a quote of 400 baht, especially if you don't look like you know what you are doing. If this was to occur - simply insist on the meter and they'd back down. Same again with the taxi driver. Make sure the meter is ticking before you depart - flag fall is 35 baht.

The ticket will have a number on the back if you are experiencing difficulties.

Tell them not to pay attention to the mob of Taxi Cheats/Limo Touts greeting passengers at arrivals.

The AOT colludes with the ground transport mafia ....wants you to pay 900thb for a ride when the regular Taxis charge by the meter under 300thb.

They don't want you to locate the regular Taxies.

Insist on a regular Taxi that uses the meter.

If they go to the 4th floor, which is the departures area, they can catch a meter taxi which should not charge an extra 50 baht airport fee, which is customary in the arrivals area. As well, there is no line to catch the taxi on the 4th floor(as there sometimes is at the departure area). Again, warn them to make sure the driver turns on the meter!

Tell them not to pay attention to the mob of Taxi Cheats/Limo Touts greeting passengers at arrivals.

The AOT colludes with the ground transport mafia ....wants you to pay 900thb for a ride when the regular Taxis charge by the meter under 300thb.

They don't want you to locate the regular Taxies.

Insist on a regular Taxi that uses the meter.

I don't have a particular problem with the AOT taxi service (and if your friends are staying at the Shangrila and expect a decent service, then they may not either), though I do have a problem with them making newbies feel like no one else exists apart from them.

The AOT guys do provide good value for money in some circumstances. Case in point was when me, wife and daughter got back from OZ with a pile of luggage. A meter taxi would hardly fit once suitcase in the boot, it had no seatbelts in the back (important for kids) and we would have needed at least 2 taxis to get us home. 300 for each taxi, plus a further 70 per taxi in tolls made the 850 baht offer of the AOT Izusu taxi (complete with huge boot space, seatbelts, tolls included) a competitive one.

So horses for courses.

Stop that samran. EVERYONE with a brain knows that EVERYTHING is a scam, particularly airport taxis. They are there solely to extract money from poor unsuspecting halfwits, i mean weary travellers.

Please amend your attitude immediately.

I half suspect that you're Thai, though, aren't you? That would explain it. No doubt you're in on it too and your post is further proof of the scam mentality of everything in this godforsaken country.

*Repeat ad nauseaum until froth appears at mouth*

If they go to the 4th floor, which is the departures area, they can catch a meter taxi which should not charge an extra 50 baht airport fee, which is customary in the arrivals area. As well, there is no line to catch the taxi on the 4th floor(as there sometimes is at the departure area). Again, warn them to make sure the driver turns on the meter!

This is correct and the best way to go if you dont like queues and paying an extra 50bt.

Just like at DM I used to do it all the time with success....

This is correct and the best way to go if you dont like queues and paying an extra 50bt.

Just like at DM I used to do it all the time with success....

Well, I have never actually had a queue there, if there is a queue at one desk, all you have to do is walk 100 meters further, to get to the second desk, which probably is deserted :o

This was when they were downstairs though, haven't been back since, another 4 weeks.

Of course these taxi tout inside the airport, including the aot guys, should piss off. But that's not going to happen obviously.