I Was Beaten Up By Two Gangsters At Jomtien Last Night

falkenbach

At 21-22 of Jan I went to the airport to meet my friends to help em with arrival. Flight arrived around midnight, so around 3AM we was at our destination, Jomtien Beach Condo, and I decided to take a walk from there to my place at Jomtien Longstay Hotel (Jomtien Complex Area, around 20 min by walk from Jomtien Beach Condo).

I was walking by the ocean-side of the beach road and nearby Jomtien Palm Beach resort I heard cracking sound, as somebody throw the bottle at me from the opposite side of the road (missed, so bottle hit the ground). I stopped and noticed two young Thai male persons, they were looking agressive and mad, and they tried to threaten me repeating something like "money, money", so I told em I will go to police, but it didnt stop em. So I decided to ask em what I did wrong to em and apologize for any possible caused inconvinience (still dont understand what caused their agression towards me). As I approach, they attacked me - one guy punch me in the head and another one did the same. I was shocked by the situation and didnt tried to protect myself, just take it with no attempts to fight back. And I were keep asking em why they doing this and why they mad at me.

Two Thai peoples come out from EuroStar restourant and I asked em for help. They start conversation with attackers, I guess convincing em to stop the fight.

One guy turned to normal, apologize for his friend and told me that his friend attacked me because he was drunk. His friend, however, was clearly in control - he answer something pollite to the men from EuroStar (join hands and bow his head to em when answered), but he still tried to attack me and threaten me (I guess if somebody is out of control from alchohol, it will be hardly possible to tell phrases in English language like "do you want take it to home, huh?!", which I guess means that he wanted give me enough pain and suffer so I can take it to home).

Attackers leave the place by their motobike (not only they owned motobike, they also was dressed good - especially the agressive one - brand jeans and fashion shirt with long sleeves), the motobike number was 649, and I decide go to police because one of the guys was definitely too aggresive and posses a potential danger for the peoples around.

I walk to the Jomtien Police Station (100 or so meters from the place of the crime), police officer were buying food from the stall outside, so I walked in and wait him for a several minutes. When he came back I told him that I was attacked by two guys and he told me that I should not go to police, just fight in return ("why you come to me? why you not #demonstration of punch and kicks#"). Is it really true that in such cases the victim should rely on self-defense? If so, what considered as self-defense by Thai laws? Actually I dont want to fight, primarily because I dont want to be involved in any crime activity, and I believe that fighting each other is not a legal way to handle conflicts (in this case actually it was 99% moral damage, fortunately attackers was weak and failed to make any real physical damage to me, which in turn make me wonder even more about the nature of their agression - how two young guys, probably around 18, can be "smart" enough to attack 32yo male in good physical shape nearby police office at really secured and guarded area?! how they can feel so safe doing that crazy kind of thing?!).

Indeed, its first time of violent crime experience for me in 6 monthes in Thailand. Peoples here so calm and kind that I dont want to make anything which may cause any direct or in-direct harm to em. I highly respect peoples of Thailand for smart and peaceful way they live and treat other peoples. Still I can hardly believe that all the mentioned things really happened. Especially keeping in mind location - everybody knows that video recording is done all the way along the Jomtien Beach, also it was really close to police office - so close that all events may be visually spotted from the police office location easily.

Now the question is, where I can get help with the situation? I dont want just leave it behind, but I can hardly afford lawyer service (I am Russian expat, earn money for living by doing telecommuting work, so dont have much). Can you give me an estimate how much it may be to hire a lawyer and apply for justice? Is it worth trying or this case is really too small to handle? I want to avoid same thing happen in the future with me or somebody else (just imagine if next time attackers will use knifes and there will be nobody else around except victim? after all, I was lucky that their bottle missed me, otherwise I guess I will be spending this morning at hospital, instead of typing LOL) ;-)

Any advice appreciated...

And I wondering if this event is unique, or there is Thai peoples who hate foreigners and some other peoples who dont really care as long as they are not hurt personally? (too much of blind hate was exposed, I have seen such things in Russia, when somebody in control and want hurt other peoples just for a joy)

p.s. I have funny feeling - I feel like I was attacked because my nouse is long and my skin is white. Not because white peoples are usually reach and not because some foreing person(s) hurt this boys somehow in the past, just because I am not a same kind of human in their eyes. Somewere (I believe at one of the issues of The Walking Street Journal, one of The Mosquito articles) I have read that white peoples here have lowest social status by default. Never take it seriously, but now I have a feeling that nothing like this will never ever happen if I were Thai person. Skin color comes first, personal qualities comes second... Do I have same status as a dog or a cat? And kids can throw bottles to me? Of course eventually they will be stopped by adults, because violence is not acceptable behaviour, but not because cat or dog was hurt, as nobody really care about street cats or dogs. Hope I just pissed off and paranoid at moment, as if its even partially true then I guess it will be better for me to leave...

what happened to you although regrettable could just as easily have taken place if you

were in London New York or Amsterdam it just seems to be a matter of wrong place wrong time

i can understand you are upset but its best to just get over it i think you are going into a "no win"

situation if you try and follow it up let time pass these things dont happen that often in the LOS

compared with many european or american cities

Now the question is, where I can get help with the situation? I dont want just leave it behind, but I can hardly afford lawyer service (I am Russian expat, earn money for living by doing telecommuting work, so dont have much). Can you give me an estimate how much it may be to hire a lawyer and apply for justice? Is it worth trying or this case is really too small to handle?

My suggestion is let it go. You won't get anywhere with lawyers and police and you may just open a new can of worms. A Thai lawyer once said to me, "I don't want to see you in a Thai court, because as you are a foreigner your opponent will always have the advantage." That was after a court case in which my "opponent" apparently bought my lawyer.

And I wondering if this event is unique, or there is Thai peoples who hate foreigners and some other peoples who dont really care as long as they are not hurt personally?

There probably are a few who resent foreigners and you're more likely to meet them in places where there are a lot of tourists. But overall this resentment is not typical of Thais, in my experience, and the kind of thugs who attacked you would probably do worse to a Thai.

you not paranoid. i hear thai very racist. although in your case it sounds like you in wrong place at wrong time.

You hear Thai's are very racist? What makes you think Thai's are any more racist to any other race

Where did he say Thais are more racist than other races?

But I don't think this was in any way a racist attack. Sounds like a young gun, bit p1ssed up, or maybe on yaba, thinks he'll try it on with a lone foreigner late at night. As Blizzard says "wrong place, wrong time". No point taking it any further, just put it down to experience and move on.

If I threw a bottle at a russian and he came walking to me I would drop him too, he may of not been aiming for you but just pissed and threw the bottle that just missed you, he probaly hit you in self defense as he thought you were going to hit him.

But who knows. I wasnt there

Edited by TheDon

3 a.m., area with a history of attacks, edge of sin-city, approaching someone who's made an aggressive gesture towards you, etc. What's so unbelievable about getting beat up? And yes, I do believe it's true. No argument from a sane man. :o

And the response from the Police was pitifull and typical.

I hope you got their badge numbers and report this to their superiors :o:D:D .

Don't ever expect the cops to look after a Farang. Won't happen.

Its a Troll post ,have you not realized yet Dumkophf .

Yes i was also nearly attacked in Jomtien when i was there last September,but i am very streetwise living in my city here in Sydney.

I was too walking around at 3am and was approached by 3 "druggies" asking for money and when i kept walking one of them backhanded me however i kept walking and they didnt follow.

However ,if its any consolation,yesterday afternoon i was walking thru the notorious Sydney suburb of Redfern and behind me was walking what looked like a Thai student,he had Thai writing on his T shirt.

As i am very streetwise i was looking way ahead of us to see about 7 Aboriginal youths approaching ,walking the other way towards us,so me being smart,i crossed the road to the other side,on walking pretending not to look at the gang of youths on the other side,i heard them grab the Thai guy asking for money to walk past them.

I quickly looked back and they had spat on his head and took his glasse off him, and then i quickly kept walking so dont know what happened to him.

You have to be "streetwise",people asking for money,say no politely keep walking,you see youths etc up ahead,cross the road.Dont try to make eye contact etc.

When they chucked the bottle you should of ignored it and kept walking,if they approached a quick jab with a open hand to the throat and walk off fast.

Yes i walk around Jomtien when im there in the early hours i admit,and i feel safer than walking in Sydney City at night however Thailand especially Pattaya is the same as other cities,however i have never been robbed in Sydney City because i have become streetwise.

The answer is to avoid the situation,yes i believe you should of done as the Policeman said and got a few punches in,im sure then you wouldnt be as angry.

Now a days I am like Cinderella. Nothing good comes after midnight.

My advice is to drop it. Nothing to be gained in pursuing it further, just lost money and increased frustration, maybe worse.

I'm thinking that if you really what to do something at 3AM, go turn on the TV to watch someone get mugged in the comfort of your own condo. :o

There were a few times when I left the bars and made my way back to my rental condo on Jomtien. Most times I would stop at the 7-11 and buy extra water and food to share with some of the people I may come across on my way back to my condo. and for the most part I never had a problem until I was befriended by a group of drunk guys who wanted to talk to me and asked me many questions about my home and my holiday in Thailand. They began to become more aggressive with each other as they jockied for my attention and soon they were pulling on my sleeve and shirt to get my attention. I started to become alarmed because I know that youth and liquor are a very bad combination.

I beat it out of there and was happy to get away without being a part of a fight.

But I will admit that I do put myself in situations that many tourist would be better off avoiding.

At 21-22 of Jan I went to the airport to meet my friends to help em with arrival. Flight arrived around midnight, so around 3AM we was at our destination, Jomtien Beach Condo, and I decided to take a walk from there to my place at Jomtien Longstay Hotel (Jomtien Complex Area, around 20 min by walk from Jomtien Beach Condo).

I was walking by the ocean-side of the beach road and nearby Jomtien Palm Beach resort I heard cracking sound, as somebody throw the bottle at me from the opposite side of the road (missed, so bottle hit the ground). I stopped and noticed two young Thai male persons, they were looking agressive and mad, and they tried to threaten me repeating something like "money, money", so I told em I will go to police, but it didnt stop em. So I decided to ask em what I did wrong to em and apologize for any possible caused inconvinience (still dont understand what caused their agression towards me). As I approach, they attacked me - one guy punch me in the head and another one did the same. I was shocked by the situation and didnt tried to protect myself, just take it with no attempts to fight back. And I were keep asking em why they doing this and why they mad at me.

Two Thai peoples come out from EuroStar restourant and I asked em for help. They start conversation with attackers, I guess convincing em to stop the fight.

One guy turned to normal, apologize for his friend and told me that his friend attacked me because he was drunk. His friend, however, was clearly in control - he answer something pollite to the men from EuroStar (join hands and bow his head to em when answered), but he still tried to attack me and threaten me (I guess if somebody is out of control from alchohol, it will be hardly possible to tell phrases in English language like "do you want take it to home, huh?!", which I guess means that he wanted give me enough pain and suffer so I can take it to home).

Attackers leave the place by their motobike (not only they owned motobike, they also was dressed good - especially the agressive one - brand jeans and fashion shirt with long sleeves), the motobike number was 649, and I decide go to police because one of the guys was definitely too aggresive and posses a potential danger for the peoples around.

I walk to the Jomtien Police Station (100 or so meters from the place of the crime), police officer were buying food from the stall outside, so I walked in and wait him for a several minutes. When he came back I told him that I was attacked by two guys and he told me that I should not go to police, just fight in return ("why you come to me? why you not #demonstration of punch and kicks#"). Is it really true that in such cases the victim should rely on self-defense? If so, what considered as self-defense by Thai laws? Actually I dont want to fight, primarily because I dont want to be involved in any crime activity, and I believe that fighting each other is not a legal way to handle conflicts (in this case actually it was 99% moral damage, fortunately attackers was weak and failed to make any real physical damage to me, which in turn make me wonder even more about the nature of their agression - how two young guys, probably around 18, can be "smart" enough to attack 32yo male in good physical shape nearby police office at really secured and guarded area?! how they can feel so safe doing that crazy kind of thing?!).

Indeed, its first time of violent crime experience for me in 6 monthes in Thailand. Peoples here so calm and kind that I dont want to make anything which may cause any direct or in-direct harm to em. I highly respect peoples of Thailand for smart and peaceful way they live and treat other peoples. Still I can hardly believe that all the mentioned things really happened. Especially keeping in mind location - everybody knows that video recording is done all the way along the Jomtien Beach, also it was really close to police office - so close that all events may be visually spotted from the police office location easily.

Now the question is, where I can get help with the situation? I dont want just leave it behind, but I can hardly afford lawyer service (I am Russian expat, earn money for living by doing telecommuting work, so dont have much). Can you give me an estimate how much it may be to hire a lawyer and apply for justice? Is it worth trying or this case is really too small to handle? I want to avoid same thing happen in the future with me or somebody else (just imagine if next time attackers will use knifes and there will be nobody else around except victim? after all, I was lucky that their bottle missed me, otherwise I guess I will be spending this morning at hospital, instead of typing LOL) ;-)

And I wondering if this event is unique, or there is Thai peoples who hate foreigners and some other peoples who dont really care as long as they are not hurt personally? (too much of blind hate was exposed, I have seen such things in Russia, when somebody in control and want hurt other peoples just for a joy)

p.s. I have funny feeling - I feel like I was attacked because my nouse is long and my skin is white. Not because white peoples are usually reach and not because some foreing person(s) hurt this boys somehow in the past, just because I am not a same kind of human in their eyes. Somewere (I believe at one of the issues of The Walking Street Journal, one of The Mosquito articles) I have read that white peoples here have lowest social status by default. Never take it seriously, but now I have a feeling that nothing like this will never ever happen if I were Thai person. Skin color comes first, personal qualities comes second... Do I have same status as a dog or a cat? And kids can throw bottles to me? Of course eventually they will be stopped by adults, because violence is not acceptable behaviour, but not because cat or dog was hurt, as nobody really care about street cats or dogs. Hope I just pissed off and paranoid at moment, as if its even partially true then I guess it will be better for me to leave...

This isnt about thailand, its time/location,.. in my home town of Torquay UK if you walk up through the town at 3am on your own you WILL get problems, .be aware,.more often than not when we hear these stories it could have been avoided, .bad area bad people,

Nothing about your story sounds "unbelievable". When you put yourself in a dangerous situation (walking around in a crappy area very late at night, alone), how can you be surprised when something bad happens to you? This isn't rocket science... and its certainly not that hard to understand.

Why do bad things happen to people who put themselves in less than savory situations? Stupid is as stupid does.

Edited by jbowman1993

Most places.... when others come to see what the problem is, the culprits will run but it seems that is not often the case in Thailand.

I have been lucky enough to never need the assistance of the police. But there was a time when a lady tried to pick my pocket and no one seem to care that I caught her trying to steal my wallet... Everyone just smiled... no worries.....

Jomtien beach is particularly dangerous at night. Young Thai males like to go there to 'hang-out' and drink cheap Thai beers and whiskies. Definitely not a place to be anywhere near in the wee hours of the morning.

Many attacks on foreigners reported there over the years.

in my little town in agricultural Suphanburi I don't usually go out alone at night as violence and drunkeness can be found anywhere. And, as someone else has said, if you beat the shit out of your attacker as a falang you will always lose...

man...how I've wanted to pick up a 2x4 and apply LA street rules with some drunk thai <deleted> shouting 'FALANG, <deleted> YOU' when I'm trying to mind my own business...

Edited by tutsiwarrior