Opening Bank Account In Bkk

Anyone suggests a bank that could manage opening a bank account for foreigners who without holding a work permit would be greatly appreciated.

Bangkok Bank as long as you have a Non O visa you can open a savings account and get an ATM card.

You don't have to have a Non-O to open an account at Bangkok Bank. I opened a Savings account with just my passport. You will also get an ATM card (300baht extra) and you're done. I deposited only 14,000 baht, and I think you can open with much less.

I also heard that most other banks require a work permit or Non-Imm of some kind. I opened a Bangkok Bank account because I'm American and they have a branch in New York City. Makes transferring my money much easier.

J.

Some Siam Commercial branches in BKK will wrongly demand you have a work permit. But, SCB corporate policy says you can open a savings account and get an ATM card just by showing a passport and at least a non-immigrant visa (I'm not sure they accept tourist visas at SCB).

When I did this some time ago, their branch in Sukhumvit gave me the WP line in denying. But I later called to the SCB call center, and they gave the correct advice, and suggested to try instead at their Siam Paragon or Siam Square branches. I did there with success, but they also wanted to see some housing rental agreement.

On the other hand, as reported above, BKK Bank was easy. Just passport. They didn't care about anything else.