Se Asia To America / Usa

Explore3

I need to return to the USA for 3 weeks. Any suggestions on where to go for the cheapest airfare? I could leave from anywhere the LCC fly to (BKK, KUL, SIN, MNL). My final destination is South Florida but I could book an LAX, Chicago, NY flight plus a domestic tix. My other choice is to purchase a one-way tix.

I am sure that this question has been asked before but my search did not turn up a match. If anyone does know a link to where this question has already been answered, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Explore3

PS I would prefer to travel a Star Alliance airline (United, Thai, Asiana + others)

• 2 weeks later...

EvaAir is not Star Alliance, which is what the OP was looking for. You might try the ITA site and then contact United/thai office directly by email with the code fare to see what you can get:

http ://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego

be sure to change the sales city to BKK

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up flying United out of Taiwan.

Explore3

You have all my sympathy....UNITED might be the worst airline provider flying to and from SE Asia. I think the average age of the crew is 60+ on most flights, so the service is sloooooow and certainly not friendly. FYI - my cousin worked for years on the crew doing the Taipei - LA run because she was VERY senior on the pecking list....she was 60 and looked 75! :o

Not my experience on the United flights I've had, service has always been fine. Frankly, I could care less what my flight attendant looks like as long as he or she knows their job and can keep a cool head in an emergency. :o

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up flying United out of Taiwan.

Explore3

You have all my sympathy....UNITED might be the worst airline provider flying to and from SE Asia. I think the average age of the crew is 60+ on most flights, so the service is sloooooow and certainly not friendly. FYI - my cousin worked for years on the crew doing the Taipei - LA run because she was VERY senior on the pecking list....she was 60 and looked 75! :o

UA and NW are the only U.S.-flagged carriers operating their own metal to BKK. Would love to hear more details re: your statement that UA is the worst....; can you support that with any details or experiences, other than your cousin?

UA has FA crew bases in BKK and SIN staffed locally, these FA's work all intra-Asia flights, so NRT-BKK. These FAs are, IME, are universally under 30 YO, and provide service equal to or better than SQ, NH, TG, LH.

UA pilots are required to retire at age 60 (currently).

I do agree, that as a result of seniority rules, that the average age of UA FA's is higher than most Asian carriers. FWIW, I've flown several times with "Iris" who was the oldest UA. until she retired ~ 1 year ago at something north of 85!. She looked 65! FAI do agree that the service can be spotty (I have ~ 1.4 million flight miles with UA, all in business or first class), but is on the whole quite good.

UA does not fly TPE-LAX direct: for now just SFO-TPE and NRT-TPE, and plans to drop NRT-TPE soon.

Edited by lomatopo