Regulations - Visa Free Change To Non-o (married To Thai)

I am in Thailand on a 30 day visa free entry, of which 15 days remain. Plan to apply at Suan Phlu for a Non-O on the grounds of being married to a Thai.

I know that for those in Thailand with a Visa, a minimum of 21 days must remain on the visa at the time of application.

What are the rules for Visa Free Entry applicants for the Non-O? If the 21 day rule still applies, then obviously I would need to make a trip out of Thailand.

Obliged if someone with knowledge or direct experience could advise me.

Thanks.

You can not obtain from Immigration with only 15 days remaining. It must be 21 days or more. And you must meet requirements for extension of stay (being married does not meet them without financial means). You can receive a single entry non immigrant O visa from most Consulates with marriage certificate and copy of wife ID card and perhaps a multi entry from Penang or KL. If you can show 400k (Baht equivalent) in a bank account Singapore may also issue multi entry.

Thanks Lopburi. I do meet all the financial criteria, be it average 40K per month (wife's income, taxed) or 400K in a bank here for the last 3 months.

But if the 21 day rule applies, then I suppose I would have to get a new stamp. I am actually contemplating a day trip to Singapore just to get another 30 days visa free entry upon my return, and then apply in Suan Phlu asap. This would save me an overnight trip to KL to get the visa, which I really don't fancy.

Other than the shorter period (30 days visa free, as opposed to 90 days multi-entry with visa (KL)), is there any downside applying for a Non-Imm O at Suan Phlu without a Visa to begin with?

Again,Thanks.

I wasn't asked for any financial information when I converted to a Non-O in Bangkok a few weeks ago (but, I converted from a Non-B ). I did have it with me though.

I needed the following:

Copies and originals of:

Passport, visa, departure card

Marriage certificate, marriage registration form

Wifes ID card and Tabien Bahn

Passport sized photo

Pictures of our wedding

2000 Baht fee.

The process was very simple and took about half an hour. You might be able to do the conversion with less than 21 days remaining, just give it a try.

ps. Lopburi3, wouldn't he be able to get the 1-time 60 day extension on his current stamp and then do the conversion?

Edited by Norrad

The process was very simple and took about half an hour. You might be able to do the conversion with less than 21 days remaining, just give it a try.

ps. Lopburi3, wouldn't he be able to get the 1-time 60 day extension on his current stamp and then do the conversion?

Thanks Norrad, this is very encouraging. My thinking was that the "....21 days before visa expiration" could be just that, and immigration could cut some slack in the case of visa exempt entry, but it would probably be at the discretion of the officer concerned.

You brought up the point about the extension, and I have read in other posts that officers are authorised to grant extensions up to 30 days while an application is being considered. Perhaps that may apply here?

I just saw that Lopburi3 mentioned in another post that a 60 day extension could be granted to "visit Thai wife / child", and this is what you refer to rather than the maximum 30 days while application is under consideration.

Well, if I could get the 60 day extension at Suan Phlu, that would be a real blessing!!!

There is a special 60 day, one time, extension available to visit wife/child. Not sure they can issue if you are not on a visa to extend however. It is section 7.23 if you want to ask.

Thanks Lopburi3. I looked at it and as you note, visa free entry is not mentioned. By the same token, neither is it mentioned in section 7.17, so there is a grey area here.

More ominous sounding is 7.23 "the permission shall be granted only one time....", which could be used as grounds to reject the 1 year extension application that would have to follow, ie leave when 60 days are up and then come back and re-apply.

Methinks a 'try my luck and see what happens' as Norrad suggested may be the way to go. Worst case then is I have to make the trip out. Oh well.