The Pattaya Taxi Rip Off

rimbung

As it seems others can have a moan here is mine.

After a decade of enduring the 1600/1800 baht trip to Pattaya why is it that the return is only 800baht.

Worse still the trip is actually 600baht with 200baht going to the mafia on second road.

I've picked up quite a few roving BKK taxis over the years which were cruising only to discover the mafia demand 200 baht from me if I find my own.

I never pay those sharks.

They have pavements stands,pay no rates or taxes,but seem to control Pattaya to BKK and the airport.

moan over

Don't pay them!

Well if you've been paying Bt1600/1800 for 10 years then why are you only now complaining about the price ?Even a couple of years ago you could get a taxi from Bangkok to Pattaya for Bt1000 and you can now from the new airport.

My brother is coming in next month. Can you explain to me how you get the 1,000 baht price please? Does that include tolls to Pattaya? I would rather email my brother telling him how to pick up the taxi at the airport, rather that having one from here run up there and wait for him. That way, there is no worries about the plane being delayed, etc. TIA

haggle like you've never haggles before. Sound and look like you know what you are doing and what a "reasonable" price is.

I ususally settle for 1200 baht plus the 60 baht toll or around there. Start at 100 baht and tell the to include tolls and see how you go !

Last September I traveled by bus from the northern bus station near Mo Chit to Pattaya for 121 baht (2 hours). It was a pleasant, comfortable ride. Watch out for the taxi touts at the bus station. Of course I did pay another 50 baht to get from the Pattaya bus station to my hotel by taxi.

My brother is coming in next month. Can you explain to me how you get the 1,000 baht price please? Does that include tolls to Pattaya? I would rather email my brother telling him how to pick up the taxi at the airport, rather that having one from here run up there and wait for him. That way, there is no worries about the plane being delayed, etc. TIA

I use a regular 'big car' company in Pattaya. Admittingly, I do get discount for highly regular and frequent usage. I travel from Chonburi to Pattaya every Friday teatime for 500tb. I leave Pattaya for Chonburi at 5am every Monday. When I travel to the Airport from Pattaya I pay 1000 tb and no toll charges. If for any reason I do not use my regular car company, I make my way to the ground level desk at arrivals and tell the girls at the desk where I am going, either Chonburi or Pattaya. I never use the meter in the roving taxis. I refuse to use the Limos' or people carriers, who usually ply their trade at level 2, immediately on leaving the airport arrivals building,t hey want the same price no matter where I am going, BKK, Chonburi or Pattaya.

Some peole go upwards to level 3 and obtain transport at 'Departures, from cars already dropping off at the airport. They say this is the cheapest method. However, I have never used this way so I have no idea what the costs are. I tend to be dubious using the cars from level3 departures, as there are potential problems with insurance if anything adverse accurs whilst travelling, ie, an accident.

You have to consider what the price of petrol is these days and figure that 1k baht is on the very cheap side for the airport to Pattaya.

I usually pay a bit more like 1300 - 1500 but it all depends on how you arrange your transport and what type of vehicle you use.

The return trip of 800 (or 600 baht to the driver) is just a bonus; taxis have to return to Bangkok anyway, in order not to do that empty, some taxi drivers who end up in Pattaya are willing to wait around a little to see if an agent comes up with a little 'bonus' of 600 baht.

This is by no means guaranteed to get a ride back, so for the trip TO Pattaya the driver is essentially charging a one-way hire.

Also note that because the possibility of the 600 baht return, the price going TO Pattaya is actually lower compared to other destinations that are a similar distance from Bangkok (or even closer!) Check what a ride to Ayudthaya or Kanchanaburi or something costs, it's less than the Pattaya fare.

(Also, while I've heard drivers ASK FOR 1800 or 1600, I think most will readily settle for something in the 1200-1400 realm, or even a tad below especially if you take care of any tolls, or don't use toll roads)

You have to consider what the price of petrol is these days and figure that 1k baht is on the very cheap side for the airport to Pattaya.

I usually pay a bit more like 1300 - 1500 but it all depends on how you arrange your transport and what type of vehicle you use.

Taxis in Thailand don't run on petrol; so no, you don't need to consider it.

The price difference is because they know they get screwed on the way back. Also, a BKK based guy is not guaranteed a return trip, but he still has to get his taxi back to the BKK for the next guy to take his shift.

Some peole go upwards to level 3 and obtain transport at 'Departures, from cars already dropping off at the airport. They say this is the cheapest method. However, I have never used this way so I have no idea what the costs are. I tend to be dubious using the cars from level3 departures, as there are potential problems with insurance if anything adverse accurs whilst travelling, ie, an accident.

The taxis that you get at departures are the same taxis. They are just taxis that people take from downtown to the airport. I dont know why there would be any more problems than if you took the same taxi from one place in Bangkok to another.

Yes, lots are on LPG or similar, but by no means all & there's very few diesel taxis in Thailand.... apart from the odd few London cabs.

I think since the petrol prices went to the roof there's virtually no non-LPG taxis around anymore, but even if there were they wouldn't then drive you to Pattaya for 1200 baht. :o They'd ask someone else to drive you who DOES have LPG, and perhaps grab a little commission on the ride.

Yes, lots are on LPG or similar, but by no means all & there's very few diesel taxis in Thailand.... apart from the odd few London cabs.

I think since the petrol prices went to the roof there's virtually no non-LPG taxis around anymore, but even if there were they wouldn't then drive you to Pattaya for 1200 baht. :o They'd ask someone else to drive you who DOES have LPG, and perhaps grab a little commission on the ride.

Please don't missunderstand my original post. I have no complaints re taxi services to Pattaya and always choose a nice one over a beat up BKK taxi.

What I am complaining about is the taxi maffia in Pattaya who, without office costs and operating from the pavement, control the return trips of most BKK taxis.

They get mighty annoyed if they see you do a deal.

I can get a car to pick me up in Pattaya, drive me to Bangkok (him paying all the tolls), wait, then bring me back (him paying all the tolls) for Bt2000-2200.

I am sorry but if you really think the price increase of petrol means that there are less LPG/NPG (or whatever the laternatives are) then you are mistaken. Retrofitting these to petrol engines is how they avoid the petrol prices !

As for the cheaper run from Pattaya to Bangkok then the above posters are correct in that he is willing to wait ages to get anything, perhaps Bt500 from Bt800 as the alternative is going back empty.

1200 Baht One Way

I Dont think so

Tell your brother to go to lowest floor in the airport were you will find a meter taxi stand

It is opposite Nero cafe

just look down when he comes through immigration near the revolving doors

Keep away from the Touts on the Main Floor

Say to the Touts "Mo Bye Pun Me Loat Cap" With a smile

" Slight Isaan Accent there Lads " :-))

"No Go I Have Car" Rough Translation

Sorry For the spelling but the Wife Has Not taught me that yet

It Will keep them all at Bay

Works every time for me

There will be a few waiting for a Taxi down there

Make sure you tell the girl on the desk you want it on the meter and you will pay the tolls

660 Baht all in to Pattaya Soi 8 Flipper lodge 10 days ago

Shaggs

1200 Baht One Way

I Dont think so

Tell your brother to go to lowest floor in the airport were you will find a meter taxi stand

It is opposite Nero cafe

Works every time for me

Make sure you tell the girl on the desk you want it on the meter and you will pay the tolls

Shaggs

Hi Shaggs. When you say "go to the lowest floor" and "opposite Nero cafe", I take it that means the big, inexpensive Thai food place down where all the buses used to pick up, and the taxi stands used to be? If so, then I think I have finally figured out two things I have been trying to find out for a while now. #1 is: the name of the Thai restaurant on the lowest level, and #2: that cars are allowed to drive in to the lowest level? Good to know if that is what you are saying, since I've been wondering if I could meet people in the Thai restaurant on the bottom floor, and when they arrive I could call my driver who is waiting in the parking lot and tell him to pick us up on the bottom level at the restaurant. I was told before that cars (taxi's) were not allowed to drive into the lowest level? Also have been hearing that the taxi stands have moved up to the arrivals level (level 2) now? Sure would make things comfortable and easy if this is correct. Hope I can finally clear this up in my own mind, or what's left of it! :o I'm getting a head ache trying to sort this all out! And that 660 baht all in to the Flipper lodge on the meter including tolls. Doesn't sound like that driver made much money that day. Thanks for your answers.

The Eastern Bus Terminal is not that far from Suwannaphum. One of the Airport Buses stops at this bus terminal at Ekkamai. From there, you can get a bus to Pattaya.

If you did a bit of research, you could have saved yourself lots of dough.

After a decade of enduring the 1600/1800 baht trip to Pattaya why is it that the return is only 800baht.

Worse still the trip is actually 600baht with 200baht going to the mafia on second road.

I've picked up quite a few roving BKK taxis over the years which were cruising only to discover the mafia demand 200 baht from me if I find my own.

They have pavements stands,pay no rates or taxes,but seem to control Pattaya to BKK and the airport.

moan over

Don't pay them!

I can get a car to pick me up in Pattaya, drive me to Bangkok (him paying all the tolls), wait, then bring me back (him paying all the tolls) for Bt2000-2200.

I am sorry but if you really think the price increase of petrol means that there are less LPG/NPG (or whatever the laternatives are) then you are mistaken. Retrofitting these to petrol engines is how they avoid the petrol prices !

As for the cheaper run from Pattaya to Bangkok then the above posters are correct in that he is willing to wait ages to get anything, perhaps Bt500 from Bt800 as the alternative is going back empty.

I can get a similar price for a return trip but if you try for a one way trip they wont go for 1000baht.

That is my experience.

I don't use the metered taxis anyway i usually get a private car.

moan over

Don't pay them!

i never pay more than 1300 to come to pattaya from bkk, te reason you pay 800 ( albeit 500 for the driver and 300 for the tout ) is that the car is on a return anyway and the 500 is a bonus,.i normally ride around on my bike an hour before going to bkk and get a taxi meter to follow me home and they will take you to bkk for 600, but dont get seen by the pick up taxi mafia ,they saw me once and blocked the car in and wouldnt let him leave without handing over the 300, was a bit ugly, :o

Works every time for me

[\quote]

The only reason why it works is because they can't understand a word that you are saying :o

Simon

1200 Baht One Way

I Dont think so

It is opposite Nero cafe

Works every time for me

Shaggs

Hi Shaggs. When you say "go to the lowest floor" and "opposite Nero cafe", I take it that means the big, inexpensive Thai food place down where all the buses used to pick up, and the taxi stands used to be? If so, then I think I have finally figured out two things I have been trying to find out for a while now. #1 is: the name of the Thai restaurant on the lowest level, and #2: that cars are allowed to drive in to the lowest level? Good to know if that is what you are saying, since I've been wondering if I could meet people in the Thai restaurant on the bottom floor, and when they arrive I could call my driver who is waiting in the parking lot and tell him to pick us up on the bottom level at the restaurant. I was told before that cars (taxi's) were not allowed to drive into the lowest level? Also have been hearing that the taxi stands have moved up to the arrivals level (level 2) now? Sure would make things comfortable and easy if this is correct. Hope I can finally clear this up in my own mind, or what's left of it! :o I'm getting a head ache trying to sort this all out! And that 660 baht all in to the Flipper lodge on the meter including tolls. Doesn't sound like that driver made much money that day. Thanks for your answers.

i just said to my wife"Mo Bye Pun Me Loat Cap" and she brought me a drink ! lost in the translation i think its called :D