Tot Adsl In Doi Hang

DonaldBattles

After many trips and complaints to TOT about bad service on my 1024 K IPSTAR Broadband Connection something strange and wonderful happened but not to IPSTAR.

I asked TOT IPSTAR staff when we might have ADSL in Doi Hang (Doi Hang is 7 KM west of the center of the city). They said it would probably be a long time as they did not have enough expansion funds.

I have 3 TOT hard lines at my place in Doi Hang. Around Jan. 9 I noticed TOT contractors working on the lines in the front of my house. I asked them what they were doing. They told me they were installing ADSL equipment and that if I wanted to use it I should apply at the office in Chiang Rai. The next day my staff went to TOT and made the application for a 1024 line using our current telephone numbers. Seemed like things were going good.

Well, the next thing we know they have pulled my 3 telephone lines and installed 3 new lines with different numbers without any notification or reason. Needless to say the old numbers were published and causes a bit of a problem.

The good news is that the ADSL is showing an average speed of 850 and 450 K even during the party line rush hours. This is much better than the performance of IPSTAR ever produced at 2500 Baht per month.

Rather than rushing into things, I am going to leave the IPSTAR installed for a month or so to make sure this is for real. I tip my hat to TOT and thanks for the ADSL.

Typically in Phuket, when new ADSL services are available, they are great until every one jumps on the party line. Khun Woody, a guest IT writer for the Phuket Gazzette has been keeping records on all ADSL services in Phuket and has plotted curves for since 2004 and it reflects that during the party line rush hours the most of the service speeds fall below dial up connection speed. Naturally this is a result of selling what can't be delivered.

In Bangkok, I have TOT ADSL lines on Silom and Rama II roads and the performance is alway good and never a problem at any hour of the day.

Is there any other news similar to my above experiences?

Don, Doi Hang

Don,

CAT has a wirless service, but have to be within 3k of one of them big red and white towers, if cat has microwave on it.

Check with them, a block east of chiangrai condotel, half block north, a one way- up a short hill to the international tele

office. Wireless is the future, screw these phone lines, they get cut, bad spices, rain affects them, etc.. good luck

Hi Don, my experience with Maxnet adsl is as you describe it in Phuket. I have the 1024/512 service. When it`s good it`s good. When it`s bad it`s really bad. Waiting 10 minutes just to open up my yahoo email inbox. Download speeds of just 1KB per second sometimes. It drives you crazy. When the kids are at school it seems to be fine. Once schools out, forget it!!

Have had the guys at my place a few times to see if there is anything wrong at the house, no everything is perfect.

Once you phone them and complain they tweak something @ the exchange and it`s better for a while. then back to very slow again.

I`ve had this service for around 6 months now and I`m thinking of cancelling it pretty soon.

MJ, I spoke to one of the girls at the CAT ofice on the hill about the wireless service There are 2-3 different devices you can buy to receive wifi. One was 4000+ baht at max download speed of 153kbps. Why go backwards in terms of speed. There was another device that was available @13,000+baht with(according to the brochure)max download speed of 2.6Mbps. Sounded good until she put a line thru that with her pen and said you can expect only between 400-700kbps( very honest of her). There is also a monthly fee for those services. As it`s quite a new service I don`t think there is any guarantee it will be any better than adsl IMHO.

All in all it would be an expensive way to try and have a better internet service with no guarantee of it being any better.

If somebody already has this service up and running please let us know how it performs.

Just my tuppence worth.

Oh and another complaint about maxnet. Usually pay our bills at the BigC. Twice now they have accused us of not paying our bills for a particular month. The latest one is apparently last October`s bill. We always pay on time. And no, we didn`t keep the receipt for October. Someones pocket is overflowing.

A friend has been accused of the same thing. Fortunately he could prouce the receipts and they then apologised and said it was a computer error

The scam goes like this. I will relate to you an experience we had when we had UBC.

Back then if you paid for 1 year you got 1 month free. so we paid for the year. Six months later we got a letter to the house saying we were 6 months behind with our payments. so we went tothe UBC office to ask why we received this letter. We were told we had not paid for the year. Rush back home,return with the paper and receipt to prove we had paid. Girl gets on the phone to her friend who no longer works there. And,wait for it, proeeds to tell the person on the other end of the phone, in front of us and for everyone to hear, get back here right away with the money for this a/c. we`ve been rumbled. It was so blatant. My wife hit the roof as you can imagine. They just didn`t deposit our yearly payment and pocketed it

Steam released, pressure relieved. Where was I? Oh yes Adsl is crap!!!

Chang35baht.